"Annie" (1982 movie) on Blu-ray coming out

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"The Wiz" is a bad film - no doubt about it. But it's better than "Annie". Better songs, better performances, etc. - the film's badly flawed, but it's still superior to the trainwreck that is "Annie"...

2. montyburns

montyburns Forum Resident

what is wrong with you guys? its friggin annie...

sure im probably biased cuz i watched it as a kid...but isnt it a kids movie? how many 4-10 year old kids care about 'bad acting'?

arent the songs from the broadway show?

a trainwreck? really? wow...

3. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's certainly not a great movie, but I dunno about a "trainwreck". My daughter went through a period of loving this film, so we watched the DVD many, many times......it's not THAT bad.

I'll never know what on Earth possessed someone to hire JOHN HUSTON to direct this film, but the Broadway songs are decent-to-great, (I dont care for the new-to-the-movie songs Lets Go to the Movies and We Got Annie) and only some of the acting is bad (I have a natural aversion to Ann Reinking, for some reason, and Finney is only so-so). It could have been better, but IMO it's not too bad for what it is.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, but my point is that I think the upcoming remake of Annie is going to end up as bad as The Wiz (maybe worse, considering the lack of comparable talent).

5. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I've actually never seen the thing, but I had no idea it was a flop. It seemed like one of those ubiquitous things that everybody knew about (I'm an 80s kid), but perhaps that had more to do with the success of the Broadway version than this one. Given how well-known it was amongst the kids at my school, I always just assumed it must have been a giant smash hit. (Me, I always avoided it because it looked like "girl stuff," and who needs that when you can watch He-Man instead?)

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There are a lot of movies that I loved as a kid, that I know are horrible but I still enjoy as an adult for various reasons. Annie isn't one of them but I can see why it would be for some people.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

I would rather watch Annie than He-Man myself. Annie has definitely had a life of its own on video releases, cable TV, etc. though, and at the time, it was heavily merchandised making one think it would be a huge hit as well.

8. BradOlson

BTW, Aileen Quinn to this day is proud of her "Annie" fame and people still approach her and tell her how much they remember Annie when it came out.

9. Oatsdad

10. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

"“Good taste” is a commodity in short supply through this nauseating film."

Tell us what you really think! ;)

11. Oatsdad

I think I went easy on it! :D

Every time I watch it, I think "it can't be as bad as I remember".

Every time I watch it, it's WORSE.

I'll never know what the producers were thinking when they cast Aileen Quinn - it's hard to imagine a less talented child actor. The scene in which she rubs a fellow orphan's face to console her is positively bizarre - it looks like Quinn's trying to wipe tar off of her hand!

Odd, bad movie!

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Just to say a word about Annie.
    I was in theater since I was a kid, and musicals have always been a weakness. I would often buy Cast albums of shows I had never seen and Annie was one. I loved the music and the cast. When the film came out I saw it at the Fort Worth Opera House and was absolutely enchanted with it. Carol Burnett was awesome as Miss Hannigan, and Tim Curry and Bernadette Peters stole the show. Easy Street was improved 100% and is still my favorite number to watch.
    I was not a kid. I was a grown up. I never noticed the many continuity errors until I had the VHS tape, and still didn't care. I would have loved to play Rooster myself.

I hope there will be a new issue on DVD as well. I will stubbornly stick to my format.

13. BradOlson

Jamie, I hope that the new widescreen release will be eventually on DVD in the US so that you won't have to get an all-region or hackable DVD player or a used laserdisc player just to watch it in widescreen.

14. BradOlson

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You know Colin, I have had so many films I love trashed by critics (espcially musicals)that I simply laugh at them. That was a trashing. On the other hand, so many films that I find dreary, boring or downright unwatchable critics fall all over themselves drooling over. Tweech his own, I guess.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:righton:

I agree -- it's mind-numbingly awful. I can see why people have a sentimental attachment to the movie if they saw it at a very young age, but anybody who was even approaching adulthood would most likely find it to be a corny, overlong, sappy mess. As much as I liked John Houston as a director over the years, this was not the right guy to do a musical.

17. Oatsdad

Yeah, I trashed it - because I thought it deserved to be trashed. Tons of talent, unwatchable film.

Was I supposed to just be perky 'n' chipper and pretend that the movie wasn't terrible? :confused:

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

:laughup:
    Like I said:D

19. Oatsdad

I'm still confused. I guess you think I shouldn't have trashed the movie, but I don't understand what I was supposed to do instead... :shrug:

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, I was sort of hoping you'd do a viog and sing the review in rhyme.

:)

21. BradOlson

You did what you were supposed to do to begin with, say what you feel about it and trashing is how you feel about it. After all, what it boils down to is different strokes for different folks.

22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Its all opinion. If I listed every movie I loved trashed by critics I would be here all day. I don't take it personally. I just figure they don't get it when I do.

here is the joke

1. I have had so many films I love trashed by critics (espcially musicals)that I simply laugh at them.
    2. Yeah, I trashed it - because I thought it deserved to be trashed. Tons of talent, unwatchable film.
    3. :laughup:
    Like I said

You don't have to defend your opinion to me.

23. Oatsdad

"It's a crappy film for us
    It's a crappy film for us
    This thing is not a pearl
    Sure makes me want to hurl
    It's a crappy film!"

Close as you're gonna get! :D

24. BradOlson

The Blu-Ray image is indeed superior to the Anniversary Edition DVD (both R1 and R2) but for those who don't have Blu-Ray, buy an R2 Anniversary Edition DVD for the 2nd best digital presentation. The Sing Along feature on the Blu-Ray is complete unlike the Sing Along feature on the DVD, plus the trailers are a great bonus on the Blu-Ray and they aren't on either the R1 or the R2 Anniversary Edition DVD issues.

25. Promo Pop

Promo Pop Well-Known Member

Vidot and Brad, so it's unlikely Annie fans can find this and do a transfer? I really would like to see a better version and its a shame it's now lost forever.

Annie fans, here is a link that details the widescreen debacle. http://web.archive.org/web/20070420125601/http://www.dvdfile.com/software/cut_list/annie.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.