Another Fun Look Back!: KXOK - St. Louis Top 40 Survey - 07/16/65

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

My pleasure, Bob. I love picture sleeves and assume that most of the Forum denizens do, as well. :)

Regarding the Elvis record -- a lot of great songs came out of the movie-making period between G. I. Blues and Change of Habit, though very few of them spring to mind when one thinks of Elvis's body of work.

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Guys, "Say Something Funny" AND "Dont Just Stand There" BOTH appear on the Stardust Cd "The Best of United Artists Records".

This Cd is one of the greatest Oldies Cds out there, with a lot of hard to find tracks. The first version was horrible, with scratchy vynil dubs, but enough complaining to Bob at Stardust prompted them to remaster it, and they did a spectacular job, everything was upgraded to master tape quality and they even got the stereo "Portrait of My Love" by Steve Lawrence!! At the time, an impossible to find track.

Also, both Patty Duke tracks are stereo from Master tape.

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Mikey,

This is a set that I have never heard of and I have many, many comps in ye olde collection. Interesting!

Bob:)

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Bob, its one of my favorites!!! I play this one a lot.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I'm sure many of us wish you did, too, Bob....;) The Top 40 format was a wonderful one when smartly used, and this chart is kind of adventurous in its own way....

The one song out of the bunch I've never heard is one of the Extras, the New Faces' "Go Small." Can't place it at all, to be honest....:(

ED:cool:

6. Bob Lovely

Ed,

KXOK was an rather adventurous station. They played regional hits like:

Walk Tall - 2 of Clubs
    Any Way That You Want Me - Liverpool Five

'All Strung Out' by Nino Tempo & April Stevens was big on KXOK as another example. I have never heard of of the New Faces track - nary a memory!:eek:

Of course, Bob Kuban and the In-Men were big in St. Louis - their hometown! Their lead singer - Walter Scott had some local/regional hits in the Midwest. He was found murdered in a cistern in 1983 - most likely a contract killing...

Bob:(

7. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Re: Re: Another Fun Look Back!: KXOK - St. Louis Top 40 Survey - 07/16/65

Cool. Thanks for the picture. I didn't buy the this 45, but I bought the EP "Tickle Me"

8. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

It's one of those Canadian CDs ... here's what it looks like ... I don't have it ... but I guess I need to check it out based on Mikey's rec ...

9. Bob Lovely

Chip,

Wow - nice track line-up! Sounds like one that even Ed might not have!;)

I need to locate this one...

10. Ed Bishop

Actually, somewhat different than that, Bob(though at first it's possible a contract killing was a theory). HBO's Autopsy series once did a piece on Scott's murder. Check this out:

"As Bob Kuban and the In-Men were preparing for a 20th anniversary reunion scheduled for June 23, 1984 at the Fox, vocalist Walter Scott mysteriously disappeared. He was last seen walking out his two-story home near St. Peters (St. Louis suburb located in St. Charles County) at 7:05PM, December 27, 1983. On April 10, 1987, his badly decomposed, bound body was found floating face down in a cistern. Scott had been shot in the back. Scott's second wife, JoAnn (Calceterra), pled guilty to hindering prosecution in his murder. She received a five year prison sentence. JoAnn's boyfriend (whom she married in 1986), James H. Williams Sr., was found guilty of two counts of capital murder in the deaths of his previous wife, Sharon Williams, and Walter Scott. James Williams received two life terms without the possibility of parole (affirmed by the Missouri Court of Appeals, April 4, 1995). And Walter Scott still sings, "Tough luck for the Cheater(s), Too bad for the fool-hearted clown(s).""

That's a review from this link, which also has one for Kuban and the In-men:

http://www.garagepunk.com/lowlifeguide/musiclinks.html

11. Bob Lovely

Ed,

Great detective work and thanks for sharing this! I saw Bob Kuban & the In-Men at a shopping mall concert in 1966 in St. Louis. In person, Walter Scott had a tremendous voice. Their recordings, as recorded, really did not do the band sonic justice.

Bob:(

Hey Chip! - Where is that Mighty 1190 KLIF survey from this time period?:D

12. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

It's coming ... hold on ... I was out all afternoon ... and I type real slooooow... :D

13. Bob Lovely

Maybe Abbey can give you moral support!:D

Bob

14. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

15. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Here is the KLIF 1190 "Forty Star Survey" for 7/17/65 ...

1. Louie, Louie - - The Kingsmen
    2. I Got You Babe - - Sonny & Cher
    3. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - - The Rolling Stones
    4. Play With Fire - - The Rolling Stones
    5. I'm Henry VIII, I Am - - Herman's Hermits
    6. I Can't Help Myself - - The Four Tops
    7. Gloria - - Them
    8. What The World Need's Now Is Love - - Jackie DeShannon
    9. Yes, I'm Raedy - - Barbara Lewis
    10. What's New Pussycat - - Tom Jones
    11. Laurie - - Dickie Lee
    12. A Little Bit of Heaven - - Ronnie Dove
    13. Don't Just Stand There - - Patty Duke
    14. Seventh Son - - Johnny Rivers
    15. If You Really Want Me To, I'll Go - - Ron-dels
    16. Silver Threads and Golden Needles - - Jody Miller
    17. You Turn Me On - - Ian Whitcomb
    18. Take Me Back - - Little Anthony and The Imperials
    19. Here Comes The Night - - Them
    20. Save Your Heart - - Gary Lewis
    21. Mr. Tambourine Man - - The Byrds
    22. To Know You Is To Love You - - Peter & Gordon
    23. Show Me - - The Five Americans (ABC-Par)
    24. Too Many Rivers - - Brenda Lee
    25. I Like It Like That - - The Dave Clark Five
    26. Sunshine, Lollipops - - Lesley Gore
    27. You'd Better Come Home - - Petula Clark
    28. Like A Rolling Stone - - Bob Dylan
    29. It's Just A Little Bit Too Late - - Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders
    30. My Name Is Mud - - Eddie Rambeau (DynoVoice)
    31. You're My Girl - - Roy Orbison
    32. Such An Easy Question - - Elvis Presley
    33. Girl Come Running - - Four Seasons
    34. Ride Your Pony - - Lee Dorsey
    35. Hey Sah-Lo-Ney - - Mickey Lee Lane (Swan)
    36. California Girls - - The Beach Boys
    37. She/It's Gonna Be Fine - - Glenn Yarbrough
    38. I'm A Fool - - Dino, Desi & Billy
    39. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me - - Mel Carter
    40. All I Really Want To Do - - Cher

"KLIF King Klimber" - - Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - - James Brown

That summer I had a lot going on ... I was in Europe with a high school group the first 6 weeks ... on my return I spent a week in NYC with my sister who was Mike Wallace's secretary at the time ... we went to the Newport Folk Festival where we sleep on the living room floor of The Cowsills (this was 2 yrs before they became stars) ... and came home to prepare for my Sr year in HS ... I spent 2 weeks in Aug. scraping, re-glazing and painting a wood frame rental house that my father owned ... KLIF played "Satisfaction" every hour during that period ... I didn't care to hear that song again for a long time after that ... now I love it ... but it still reminds me of painting that house ...

Them's version of "Gloria"... which hit #1 the previous month ... is the one I grew up with ... it hit only #93 on the Hot 100 ... The Ron-dels were a duo from Ft. Worth ... the "Ron" was Ronnie Kelly and th "del" was Delbert McClinton ... the 45 was originally on Brownfield ... a Major Bill Smith label ... I don't recall "Show Me" ... it would be another 5 months before the Dallas based Five Americans would "See The Light" ... I don't remember #30, 35 or 37 ...

BTW ... Bob ... while I typed this, Abbey was outside chasing bugs ... and my other cat, Gracie (Abbey's Sister), slept on a table next to me ...

16. Bob Lovely

Chip,

I wonder if Mud has #30?:laugh:

The Cats were obviously of great assistance!;)

Thanks for the rememberances of the era. The Ron-dels track was popular where I grew up as well. Funny how 'Louie, Louie' seems to have been popular every summer in some market as it was in the summer of '66 in the Midwest as well. '(I Can't Get No)' Satisfaction was true 'monster' in the summer of 1965 - it was truly amazing how the record was so pervasive everywhere you went...

Thanks Chip!

17. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I didn't think of that :laugh: ... I guess I was too busy concentrating on my typing ... I'll bet it's his theme song ... :D ... we need to find him a copy if he doesn't have one ... the Austin Record Convention is next weekend ...

18. Ed Bishop

Very intersting chart, Chip...

1. "Louie, Louie" makes its second Billboard chart appearance here, this time Bubbling Under for several weeks around this time(it would make the Hot 100 the following year after, again, Bubbling Under)....small wonder there are plenty of copies of the Wand 45 kicking around....

4. "Play With Fire." Wondered how this managed to hit the Hot 100 for a single week as "The Last Time," the A-side, was moving down charts. Always wondered if London sent a special promo of "Fire" to radio...they sometimes tried to push certain B-sides.....

15. Not sure I've heard this one, never made the national charts....

16. This one didn't do much anywhere..."Queen Of The House," Jody's first hit, was a novelty single, and she had little luck on Capitol, had some '70s hits on Epic, mostly C&W....she had a minor hit with "Magic Town" later in '65, before the Vogues covered it and got the bigger single....

30. Mud's anthem, Mud's mantra...Mud's everything...:D :laugh: From Eddie's CONCRETE AND CLAY album, there's a great stereo version on the Collectables reissue CD of the DynoVoice Lp.

35. Don't remember this one, though I might have it somewhere....no national action, that's for sure.

37. "She" didn't do anything that I can recall, but the listed flip on this chart was a top ten Easy Listening hit, and did get to #54 on the Hot 100. Typical smooth Yarbrough.

19. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

20. Bob Lovely

Chip,

I would say that finding him a copy is a moral imperitive!

Bob:D

21. Bob Lovely

Chip,

I first heard it on KOMA in Oklahoma City, then WLS in Chicago - where it did quite well - a good record.

22. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Har, har, har. You guys are as funny as a crutch. :laugh: :laugh:

You need to hear the FORMAL "Mudbone" by Santana or the real "Mudbone" by Richard Pryor.

Maybe I need to hear that tune as I don't have it.

mud-:D

23. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Hi Mud ... Bob and I wondered where you were last night ... we needed your valuable input ...

Here is your Eddie Rambeau CD ... with "My Name Is Mud" listed as the first track ... :)

24. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thanks, chip! If you and Bob weren't such great guys I'd be angry. Actually, I do want that cd for his version of "Concrete & Clay."

:laugh:

mud-:D

25. Bob Lovely

You are right! Chip and I are great guys!:laugh:

Please be advised that his version of 'Concrete & Clay' is very wonky sounding....probably recorded at Bell Sound in NYC with many overdubs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.