Another kind of Genesis reunion (idea)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CDmp3, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

As long as they don't call themselves "Genesis featuring Steve Hackett and Ray Wilson"...

mx20 and fallbreaks like this.
  2. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I had the same feeling

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. The_Windmill

Maybe "Hackett's Genesis", more like "Simonetti's Goblin"?
    (That would piss banks off)

;)

izgoblin likes this.
  4. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I enjoyed Ray for Calling All Stations but that's it. I would draft in Martin Levac as the drummer and vocalist. I am surprised Hackett hasn't used him. Or I would use Simon Collins.

anduandi likes this.
  5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I think you kind of just described Steve Hackett's actual touring band, with Daryl and Ray as guests. ;)
    (Chester or Steve's actual drummer wouldn't make that much of a difference, to me.)

6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Ray Wilson has occasionally guested with the Hackett band - he didn't seem too unhappy to me, performing Carpet Crawl and I Know What I Like (with Nad Sylvan).

Wingsfan2012 and The_Windmill like this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Didn't know (and borderline indifferent) but the "not fond memories" comments was directed at his actual time in Genesis. Different set of circumstances over in Europe. The US tour was canceled outright. Apparently, there was a recorded (filmed?) concert from Poland with Ray Wilson, which was considered pretty decent. Genesis didn't see fit to include anything other than the studio album from that period. They barely acknowledge it. Performing with SH hopefully makes some amends though.

8. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

"Tony Smith Presents: Half A Dozen Of The Other"

izgoblin likes this.
  9. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great idea! Levac can sing and drum like Phil.

10. The_Windmill

I've seen it many years ago. I was surprised to feel that Wilson was the best thing in it. Banks was like zombie, Rutherford was underperforming. The non-genesis musicians seemed to be the only ones to care. Even the drummer, too over the top for their repertoire, but energetic at least.

Say It Right likes this.
  11. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

But why? As the saying goes...it's been done. They put a lot into that tour, money-wise, time-wise, and Phil ended up with a physical disability. Apparently, Chester wouldn't be a part of it because of some sort of fallout with Phil. And as I recall, even Phil would only be interested in a 5-man reunion, the key issue always being Peter's interest and motivation.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

But Tony has always been like that... :D

I think the concert was respectable, but arguably, it was essentially a new band out on the road for the first time. I doubt they had played long enough together to really gel as a unit.

LivingForever and The_Windmill like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The only reason why would be a victory lap, more money, more adulation.

14. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

That's your assessment, not theirs.

15. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I agree! The Steve Hackett show I saw recently really quenched my thirst for old Genesis. It was really great and I'm glad I went.

Steve Hackett should get Fish from Marillion as a vocalist. I always thought that would be an awesome match.

16. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

The 2007 reunion tour was their bookend.

No new music even then, and that was ten years ago now! (That's the time between Trespass & Duke!)

I'd be interested in hearing a studio record of a true songwriting collaboration between Hackett & Anthony Phillips.

Steve seems to have such a cool attitude, it would be neat for him to let Darryl Steurmer or Ray Wilson sit in sometimes (I know Ray has already), however unlikely.

17. RatFarm

RatFarm Forum Resident

As much as I like Steve Hackett for keeping Genesis's ghost alive I always come away with the thought that he is probably still smarting for ever leaving the band to begin with so he is carrying the torch to hang on to that era.

18. downer

downer Senior Member

They could call themselves 'Yes'....

19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Go see Steve and call it a day.....

anduandi, Jvalvano and zebop like this.
  20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

So you set up an And Then There Were Three... avatar to emphasize the point. :rolleyes:

Hackett was considering leaving as far back as Foxtrot. He's had plenty of time to assess/reassess the decision. Being able to do pretty much whatever he wanted without external pressure, and still lead a comfortable life, was not such a bad way to have a decades long music career. All that while maintaining the respect of his peers. He's trying to trying keep that part alive. He at least commingles his performances with his own classic solo material, and continues to release new albums.

fishcane and audiotom like this.
  21. RatFarm

RatFarm Forum Resident

My avatar was picked years before my post in this thread but point taken. From what Genesis 'history' I have read, Steve's decision to leave sealed his fate with Genesis, they would not have had him back. That being said, if Steve had not left Genesis, the band's legacy would not have been prolonged without Steve's post-Genesis career. By the time Genesis entered the 1980s, I would not have blamed him for leaving.

22. The_Windmill

Apart from the fact that Collin has changed his mind a lot about it and I can't say where he is at the moment about it, I call that bluffing: instead of saying "that will never happen" he goes with the most polite "If Pete is in". 'cause Pete will never be in. :D

yes, if there's something about the past he still seem to be resentful for, that's not leaving but the small space he felt he ad in the band.
    He's always been happy with his decision. He kept consistent with his musical vision (well, except when he tried to go pop in the eighties, but who didn't?), he published a nylon guitar album at times where that happened only in classical music market (a proper album, not an archival stuff like Anthony Phillips - who nevertheless was equally brave to come out with an all 12-string non-folk record), he was one of the first of his generation to go independent creating his own label (which didn't fail a couple year later!)... no, really no regrets at all.
    If he's carrying the torch... that's not for any convoluted reason but for market reasons alone: he's among the musicians who went back to prog post Nineties and found a welcoming audience. That's what he does now. He's lucky to have a direct connection with Genesis old material, that has a stronger appeal than his own, and he is exploiting the connection commercially. That's the only reason. He said it himself, quite candidly: (something like) "in this stage of my life I'm a crowd pleaser". But as I said before, he always respects the music (or seems to, at least)

And that's english stubbornness (or just stubbornness, no offence to UK friends), which I think damaged the band in more than one occasion. Only later, whit more maturity but also when when it was convenient to everybody, it was loosened so everyone could have a solo career and side projects, no problems really. Had they kept such a relaxed attitude since the start...

23. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Ray is always happy when he performs Genesis songs, unlike...you know...Genesis. ;-)
    Really, I know he's making a living by performing Genesis songs but I've heard him talk about it and saw him perform many times: He truly loves the music of Genesis. He's not just in it for the money.

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I know when it comes to the old "Art VS Commerce" debate for Peter Gabriel the art wins out almost every time, but I can't help but wonder if PG has wondered on occasion which would be more profitable for him: a "five man" Genesis reunion tour or a new album/solo tour? I really couldn't say, but I'd almost be inclined to think at this point a Genesis reunion tour would sell more seats than a PG solo tour. Maybe. Who the hell knows? I have less than zero expectations it'd ever happen anyway, even if Peter was up for it. And if Collins could play drums, of course.

25. The_Windmill

I think profitability is out of the picture here, as far as its relevance in the decision process.
    Gabriel knows how to make his money anyway, and he's involved in technology business aside music
    He's just not interested in reliving a far away part of his musical and human life. And his vocal range has changed significantly. All the "screaming" parts are verboten now.
    (and humanly speaking, I think he would feel uncomfortable being in front of people who are, willingly or not, comparing him to his young self - but this is just a personal thought)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.