Another modern version of the classic Dynaco A-25, from Annandale Acoustics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Taurus, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And? How were they when you were done?

2. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Hmmm...."they sounded much better than his reviewspeak suggests...."

So does that mean they sound better than he actually reported? Why not just report exactly how they sounded, instead of caging it in "reviewspeak"?

Oh, wait, there's the whole ad revenue thing.....can't have used products sound as good as new product.

3. Let me guess--you didn't read Dudley's article, right?

I think you are misunderstanding my post.

This is what Dudley said, verbatim:

Dudley concludes his article with sentiments that are the exact opposite of what you wrote:

4. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

Uh oh, I can already see the prices at garage sales shooting through the roof. :(

[dream mode ON]Maybe Audiovox, who is Advent's current owners, will think about re-introducing a modernised (like what was done with the A-25s) version of these classics. Or, since they seem to now use the Advent name strictly for mobile video systems & alarms :( maybe they'll sell the name (with a different logo) to someone who would.[dream mode OFF]

5. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Well, I wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding it or not as I haven't had the opportunity to read the article yet....finding Stereophile locally is a challenge, even though I live in the Bay Area. Would love to read it, though, as Advents were my first speakers ever, and they have a fond place in my heart. I also never found them bright, but then my hearing is flat above 15,000 Hz.

I will admit to being pretty jaded as far as most audio pubs go....TAS has really gone downhill....poor writing, no editorial depth, and both Stereophile and TAS have a genuinely boring editorial layout. Tone Audio really put them to shame, IMHO.

Regarding his assessments, I don't agree, the Era Design series are under a grand and blow Advents in to the weeds for performance and musicality, IMHO.

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

My diy self would have to agree with you. It looks like a lot of money, but I have to wonder how they compare to the entry level Audio Note AN-E's at ~$5k.

Jeff

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i subscribe to both TAS & Stereophile.every year i think i won't renew, but
    they always make renewal so cheap that i can't resist.

8. I agree with you completely, although IMHO Stereophile has regained a little bit of credibility in recent months that it had lost over the last 15 years. These days, TAS reads like advertising copy and, if it weren't for the ultra cheap yearly subscription rate, I would have cancelled my subscription years ago. As is, it is good bathroom reading material. :)

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed! Those Era Design speakers--especially the Era Design 5--are phenomenal!

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Interesting. This review makes me think the D4 would be a very good speaker for me. Though I'm thinking about those single-driver speakers from Omega, too.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/era/era.html

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I'd take a pair of vandersteen 1c's or the baby magnepans over large advents any day....

bhazen likes this.
  11. misterdecibel

Maybe next someone will re-create the Goodmans Maxim for $2500?

12. I'd like to see the Spica TC-50 reissued. Hard to believe it's been over 25 years since it was released!

I believe that Parasound still owns the Spica name. I wonder if they will ever re-enter the loudspeaker market?

bhazen likes this.
  13. misterdecibel

Well, that speaker's calling card was the crossover computer-optimized for the drive units and enclosure, and the drive units are long out of production. So it'd have to be designed from scratch with currently-available units, and wouldn't be the same thing.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

They're frequently for sale on Audiogon. There were pairs that sold recently for ~$175 and $250, and one that didn't sell for a long time (if ever) for $475.

I once heard them with Quicksilver amps. It was one of the nicest sounds I'd ever heard. I guess because I was sitting across the room, I read "spica" as "sota," and years later, would search for "sota speakers" online from time to time, finding nothing. Then I looked on audiogon one day, and there those triangular speakers were.

15. Well, the LS3/5a was reissued--first by Stirling Broadcast and now by Rogers--with totally different drivers and crossover, so it CAN be done!

16. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I would get the Era D4's....they're what I use for HT, along with a D4 LCR for center channel....terrific speakers for the money.

BTW, designing drivers from scratch is not a problem. Michael Kelly of Aerial Acoustics designed the drivers in the Era Design series.

17. misterdecibel

And they're not really the same anymore either...

18. Taurus

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I like small speakers. And I don't like bass very much. I think that comes from having lived in apartments most of my adult life.

20. Taurus

Maybe this is an option for you. :cool:

Btw I'm not one of those "bass hedz" but low bass does constitute the foundation of a lot of music styles. Just sayin'. :wave:

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Isn't that something? I've never seen anything like that before, though DWELL Magazine sometimes has articles about pre-fab contemporary housing.

22. The Era D5's can reach into the 40 Hz range, and would do fine reproducing any of that music. Besides, there's always subwoofers--and Era makes two darn good ones (the Sub 8 and Sub 10).

23. One of Warren Buffett's companies makes some pretty cool pre-fab eco-housing:

http://claytonihouse.com/

Attached Files:

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Nice looking. Mmmm...prefab housing (must move it to Evergreen Terrace).

25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

As good as new. Oh, you mean, how good was that?... ;). They are OK. The Six took a small miracle to repair and wasn't really worth it IMO, but the owner was a long time fan and just wanted them going to see what they were about. The Four and the One, especially the One are nice speakers. The One has a very big bass response but is a little congested/diffused sounding, while having a spaciousness at the same time. It's an odd, classic, old school sound that isn't exactly SOTA but it does cover so many bases rather well that it can be easily forgiven by those who find love for them. I even found a factory wiring problem in one and corrected it. The owner had been listening to them with a factory defect for forty years and thought they sounded great. So he is really stoked now! Bass is bigger than ever.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.