Another modern version of the classic Dynaco A-25, from Annandale Acoustics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Taurus, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I heard a set of Allison One's at a local dealer once, and my reaction was that the v-shaped box was a pillow, covering an opening in a wall behind which there was hiding a really good speaker. It seemed muffled and distant, but there was something hiding in there that was making music.

2. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member Thread Starter

Volume-wise I guess they would perform acceptably in a very small room, but in say a 20ft x 15ft living room, I think they would be audibly straining to do the same.

Limiting "The New Pollution" to volume setting 4 in that living room just wouldn't be any fun for me. :winkgrin:

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Set-up probably has a lot to do with it. They are designed so they reflect sound from the side walls and provide direct sound from the other facet if they are positioned properly. In any case, your experience is not way off from what is likely to be heard with them.
    -Bill

4. misterdecibel

Well, they were flat against the wall, driven by a stack of Mac.

5. The sub is your friend!

I tend to listen at lower volume levels, so I prefer the enhanced imaging of bookshelfs (Triangle Titus 202's) to the slam of floorstanders. Then again, my sub (Triangle Sub Espace) pretty much makes up the difference. The best of both worlds!

6. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Actually, the Stirling Broadcast version is better...

7. Cool! Have you heard them with the outboard Cicable crossovers? Do they offer a noticeable improvement? How does the Rogers reissue compare? Thanks!

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

That might, in fact, be me! :)

I find that as I ripen, more and more modern speakers (I'm talking standmounts now) seem to "shriek" at me ... I probably can't afford the Annandales (that's up in Harbeth terrritory, price-wise!), but am considering the Tektons (for @ $1,200,+/-; Eric told me he'll still make a pair upon demand). I know I might eventually find one on Craigslist for around $200(?), but am not in the mood for a restoration project. Plus, I'd bet the current SEAS drivers are slightly better than what was available forty years ago.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I own the Dynaco A 25 speaker, I also own The Advent Loudspeaker. Both in superb condition. I love both speaker systems, and the Dynaco A 25 speakers are my living room speakers. Both are musical sounding and enjoyable to this day.

bhazen likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Are the A-25s "restored", or just as they were?

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm sorry, that's crazy money for A-25 clones.

12. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

"10” SEAS woofer". Question is, which one.

I've owned 2 sets of Omegas, and 2 sets of Hoyt Bedfords. I now enjoy my Zu Unions.

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My A-25 speakers are unrestored. Everything works to specification. They were very well cared for.

bhazen likes this.
  14. Lashing

Lashing Well-Known Member

The Dynacos were a budget speaker and always will be. They are inefficient and do not sound terribly good. ZERO bass. I think the only good thing about them was the tweeter and simplicity. The tweets good for a budget speaker. But there is better being made at the same factory right now. One of those legend things that people still believe despite the fact that you can find them everywhere under $200.

Good for the garage maybe. Living room? NO way.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm sure they've got more than "zero" bass, come on. 10" woofer!

My concern would be the quality of the midrange (where 80% of music occurs). Admittedly, haven't heard a pair yet; on my audio "bucket list" though.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  16. misterdecibel

Yeah, but that's a 10" woofer in an enclosure that's about the same size as a lot of 6 1/2" speakers these days.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Well, I can't wait to hear a pair. One of the biggest-selling speakers ever, with no bass? Beggars the imagination.

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Unexpected BUMP !!

Anybody ever get the Annandales? :

Jeff, you still have a pair @ TONEPUB World HQ?

19. Lashing

Lashing Well-Known Member

misterdecibel explained this already.

Speakers are not so simple. There is a reason Dynaudio C1's sound so darn good yet are relatively small. Lots of money in design and development. Same reason so many home brew speakers sound awful even with nice drivers. Its not just drivers in a box. There is math and design involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.