Another reason to dislike streaming and Spotify

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeffsab, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You can pry my CD/SACD collection from my cold dead fingers.

dbsea, dalem5467, Ric-Tic and 31 others like this.
  3. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Have you tried their suggested workaround? It’s probably a mammoth task interfacing to all those different devices and maintaining the software across revisions. Spotify probably invited manufacturers to pay (more) towards the cost of it and they declined.

Cabin_Essence and rebellovw like this.
  4. jeffsab

Sure, I have a a Chromecast Audio that I can plug into the back of it. But I shouldn't have to. The point is that a feature that the receiver had when I bought it has been removed. By a company that I pay a subscription to every month!

Jvalvano, Kohl88, somnar and 2 others like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Onkyo Should offer up an easy workaround.

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Times change, but you've any number of workarounds. Still got a great receiver too.

bldg blok likes this.
  7. Veni Vidi Vici

I'm not sure I understand what the culpability of your device's manufacturer is in this, especially as Spotify is continuing to support in-device apps on most other devices. Or why you now dislike the very idea of streaming. Can you explain?

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No idea why these things always get presented as mutually exclusive. I can personally attest to the fact streaming services don't send a van to collect your CDs at gunpoint.

9. Veni Vidi Vici

They'd need a semi if they want to collect mine.

10. Veni Vidi Vici

This receiver will soon be seven years old. Nowadays that's a lifetime in consumer electronics. With today's ubiquity of smartphones, it no longer makes much sense to have a dedicated Spotify client in every output device (speaker). Furthermore, as software tends to become larger by the addition of new features (or bloat, if you prefer), older hardware becomes more difficult to support as it just doesn't have the processing power or memory to run the latest versions. I get that this is annoying but it's just the reality of the new world we are living in. Why Software Is Eating the World – Andreessen Horowitz

Shel, Kohl88, snkcube and 6 others like this.
  11. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

In other words, we want the latest and greatest, but want it to stand still as soon as we own it.

recklessczar, timind and Merrick like this.
  12. Veni Vidi Vici

Indeed. Rapid innovation implies rapid obsolescence.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

This is exactly why I keep digital separate from analog. I can safely invest in excellent analog gear and have no worry of it being obsolete. I can then connect whatever digital gadget that I like via an analog output from it and it'll work fine. When I feel the need to change the digital device, it's just one item. Taken a step further, most digital devices can be separated into two categories, a DAC and a digital source. I can also keep one DAC that I like and feed it via multiple digital sources. It is most often that the source, or software end that gets changed, so it doesn't effect the tail end of the digital system often, and never the analog system. I think the most annoying thing that i had be discontinued was my Apple TV. It was a pretty simple interface for watching and listening to YouTube video through my system until YouTube pulled the plug from Apple, and of course Apple is continually dropping support for its devices. It's basically a plastic brick now. I never get any use from my Chromecast either as it really wants to see an interface with Chrome, which I don't use. I really do very little streaming, so it's not a huge issue, but the devices simply do not work independently for very long, so I don't invest much in them. I'd rather have more record albums, analog upgrades, or tickets to a show.
    -Bill

14. jeffsab

That streaming services can not only remove music from their library at any time, but also the functionality of your hardware, is a paradigm I wish we as consumers would collectively refuse to accept. I can't really blame Onkyo on this, as it's clear it was Spotify that dropped support. And although I don't expect either company to do anything for me, I don't have to like it.

Wounded Land likes this.
  15. jeffsab

The Onkyo website says aggrieved owners may be able to get a free USB Bluetooth dongle or a discount on a new receiver. Which is more than the company owes anyone.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  16. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Your receiver is seven years old.
    Find a suitable workaround. There are a multitude of acceptable options here.

Shel, McLover and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  17. jeffsab

I don't see much innovation in Spotify's service that was working perfectly on my receiver a couple months ago. Streaming compressed music requires neither high bandwidth nor much processing power.

F1nut likes this.
  18. Veni Vidi Vici

That isn’t clear to me at all. More likely is that Onyko’s seven year old hardware just isn’t powerful enough to run a modern Spotify client. You might as well complain that Windows 10 won’t run on your old IBM PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2017
    Cabin_Essence and recklessczar like this.
  19. Veni Vidi Vici

There’s a bit more to streaming music than you seem to understand. This, after a moment’s Googling: Spotify Web API Archives - Spotify Developer

20. jeffsab

Seems like the Spotify API doesn't really have to do with streaming music though. Rather for developing third-party apps to interface with the service.

21. Veni Vidi Vici

You don’t just stream music like switching on a radio. You have an account with Spotify that needs to be authenticated for you to have access, that needs that access to be revokable by you if you sell your speaker to someone, etc.

The problem here is that Onyko and others have sold a piece of hardware which includes as a key selling point a software component that they are unable to upgrade in light of entirely common and predictable changes to the Spotify service. This is nothing more than poor design on their part, looking at it charitably. More likely, Onyko just don’t care if you have to buy a new speaker after a few years. It works quite nicely for them if you do, in fact.

22. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Could you not buy a cheap laptop and usb dac and run the Spotify sound into your receiver?

Cupids_bow and aroney like this.
  23. jeffsab

Thanks, I have plenty of options to get Spotify into my receiver. Just frustrated to see the feature removed.

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Say what? Now you tell me, I thought that van looked pretty legit.

25. Veni Vidi Vici

I have to say, if you were designing a complete system instead of just trying to differentiate your component from others on the market, the last thing you would do is include a client for a specific streaming service in a speaker. What would happen if the user wanted to stream a different service, or the original streaming service shut up shop? Good design typically means a given component does just one thing, rather than take on multiple functions. I understand it’s a considerable annoyance to have to do so, but if you do transition to having a phone, Raspberry Pi or whatever handle the interface to the streaming service, you will have a more future-proof setup.

Gaslight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.