Another stupit question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by axelsrd, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axelsrd

axelsrd Forum Resident Thread Starter

You guys have been way too kind to me in the past but this may just may just be the perverbial straw.

I have a 5.1 set up. Denon receiver Paradigm monitor 7's (NOT BI-WIRED)for the front. I want to get a 1970's version 2 channel receiver (Pioneer or Marantz) to drive my Pioneer PL-71 turntable and for radio use. Now hold on because here comes my question:

Sinse my Monitor 7's are NOT BI-WIRED, can I use the second set of terminals on each speaker to connect to the 2 channel without harm to the Paradigms? If so, do I have to remove the jumper from the speakers even tho I am not actually bi-wiring them...just using two separate sources?

Second question is...I am currently using a single cable from my Denon to my sub. Can I run a set of speaker wires from my Denon (speaker "B") terminal to the sub? And since there is no separation for bass, can I use just the, say, positive terminal from Denon to positive on the sub.

The thought being I can use my existing front speakers and sub for my analog set up without having to go out and buy separate speakers for.

Thanks guys and if you feel the need to flame me vigorously, it's ok, I can take it.

Thanks Randy

2. axelsrd

axelsrd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh come on, doesn't anyone have an opinion?

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

sorry - I don't have the technical knowledge to answer you, but perhaps if your thread title was a little more descriptive, you might get more interest.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have to agree with Donald. Try to capture your audience so they're attracted to read your thread.

AFA what you're trying to do with all three speakers, I'm not sure if it would be the best thing to do. You're skipping crossovers. Twice, right? I guess you can try it? It doesn't make sense to me though. :(

5. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

If I understand the first question correctly and simplify it I get this:

Can I hook up two amps to one set of speakers simultaeously using different binding posts on the speakers (with or without crossovers)?

If this is indeed the question: NO

With crossovers engaged you will send the wattage into the second amp causing damage, smoke and a visit from the audio police. The speakers will remain unharmed.

Without crossovers, you will get low end in one system and high end in the other and never will the two meet.

From what I know, you would really need a selector switch to select whichever option you choose with speaker cable from the both amps running to the selector and then only one run of cables running out to the speakers. I believe Parts Express carries these but I'm not sure.

6. James RD

James RD Senior Member

7. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

should be do-able

if the "soon to be appearing" receiver has pre-outs, you can run interconnects from the receiver to the Denon Aux-in ports and and use the Denon as the main controller. You will need to play with the receiver to set the output gain, but that isnt hard.

It isnt perfect, but it would allow you to keep your existing wiring in place and use the Denon crossovers and amps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.