Another stylus replacement question - AT95E / ATN100/E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chrome_Head, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Hi all, it's yet another stylus replacement advice / question thread.

I started out with the AT95e Green cart on my AT-120, but decided it was too dull & muddy.

Someone here once recommended the ATN100/E headshell & cart (red), which I got and really, really like. After about a year, I'm wondering if it's time to replace the stylus, as it's starting to sound a bit dull again.

Problem is, it seems the ATN100E cart has been discontinued, unfortunately.

What is a good, similar, affordable replacement? One that might fit the ATN100/E headshell?

Also, what is the length of time until the stylus needs replaced? I've had this thing less then a year, moderate use (maybe 10-12 records spun per week).

McLover likes this.
  2. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

I believe all of AT's cart bodies haven't changed in years so most have interchanable styli, so you can just buy something like the VM510EB stylus. If you can spend a little more coin try the 440MLB stylus which shouldn't be too hard to find.

Chrome_Head and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

There used to be a compatibility chart floating around, maybe one of the members has the link. Quite useful. I had a AT-150MLX mounted on a 120e cart. Worked like a charm. But with these new styli i'm not sure anymore. I've got my eye on one of these, but not sure it will fit.
    Audio-Technica stylus for Audio-Technica AT7V cartridge

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

I contacted Audio Technica a while back and a rep told me the new VM540 stylus should work in the old 440, so I wouldn't see why it'd be different for other models in the range. Also, about your stylus life question, Chrome_Head: it all depends. Played on clean records that stylus should last for about 300-500 hours. A finer tip like a microline can last for up to 1,000. That's what I hear, at least.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Chrome_Head and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Excellent info, thanks D. :cheers:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

LP Gear still lists the AT100E complete cart, or the ATN100 replacement stylus, and some upgrade styli that will fit. Any AT 120, 150, 440 stylus will fit. AT's current recommended closest replacement is, or will be, the VNM20EB (tracks a little heavier), and any current VNM stylus will fit too. There's even a cheap Pfanstiehl that will fit, 4208-DE.

My thought is that you "really, really, like" it, so get that original ATN100 at LP Gear or wherever you can find it, for now and as long as you can.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    H8SLKC and Chrome_Head like this.
  7. Chrome_Head

Thanks for the info. Couldn't find many results for the VM510EB? How would you say the 440MLB stacks up to the AT100E? Have had the 440 in my want list for awhile.

People have also steered me onto various Ortofon carts quite a lot here too. Any opinion?

Great site, thanks for cluing me into it. You're correct in that they have the AT100E in stock, while Amazon doesn't for some reason.

8. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

The 440 ought to sound very similar to the 100, just with more treble extension and better tracking. Can't say much about Ortofon carts, as I haven't heard any, but the general consensus is that they retain much of the detail retrieval of the best AT designs, but have more body to the sound. However they don't offer as much bang for your buck in terms of stylus profile.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  9. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I concur with an earlier poster who proffered that if you have been happy with the AT100, just stick with it. No reason to chase the dragon unless you'd like something different and perceive that your current equipment is lacking.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The new VM line styli interchange and fit your cartridge. Clean your stylus. If it still does not sound quite right, then there's your answer. You can go from conical to fancy line contact and even Shibata.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  11. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Need some advice if possible.
    I have A Tech LP120 with AT95E cartridge.
    Looking to maybe upgrade for better detail and performance.
    Nothing classical in my collection, this is a collection of 80s 90s pop / rock / synth music.
    If I upgrade to A/Tech Vm540ml will I notice a huge jump in performance?
    Thanks

12. Chrome_Head

Not familiar with this one, but it is well reviewed on Amazon, and if you have the money to spend, it will be a vast improvement on the stock 95e.

I would steer you to the ATN100E if you can find it, it’s quite a bit cheaper than the Vm540ml, and you will notice an upgrade in SQ.

Talisman954 and quicksrt like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The design of the AT95E is different than AT100E and other models through AT 440 and the equivalent new designs. The stylus may fit but I see no point. Better to find a discontinued AT100E which sounds considerably better than AT95E and was a lot cheaper than it's replacement.

quicksrt likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

OP needs a better cart to jump up in SQ, new stylus or different stylus will not make earth shaking difference really. That starter cart is great for beat up records, and overly bright ear bleeders from the early 60s. I think it was you McLover who called it (in another post) having a "ragged high end".

It's not a horrible cart, but not worth spending on stylus upgrade in my op. It is what it is, fine entry level AT.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The AT 95e was what I was referring to. The AT 100e upwards series are much better performers. And upgrade capable as you want.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I see, sorry about that.

17. missan

missan Forum Resident

Without any doubt, the AT100E is a much better alternative, and many, many needles will fit.

18. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice.
    I just ordered the VM540ml.
    It will arrive Wednesday.
    I will post update on what kind of jump in quality I get, hopefully it’s a big one since the price diff seems to be around $200 between these 2 cartridges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.