Another sub-$500 Speaker Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Claxton, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard Thread Starter

The speaker upgrade itch has hit me and I need to scratch it. I've spent the last few weeks researching all over and I value the opinions of the folks here on the forums, so I thought I'd go ahead and post my questions.

The facts:
    Current speakers - Pioneer CS-77; great shape, but have always felt a bit lacking to me
    Receiver - Pioneer SX-780 (recently recapped and sounding great); 45 wpc
    Turntable - Onkyo Integra with Audio Technica AT433E cart (stylus recently replaced with an ATN12XE)
    Digital - Sony CD/SACD DVP-NS500V
    Room size - about 12.5' by 13'
    Music style: mainly rock

The speakers I heard that started this whole thing were the Klipsch Forte. Obviously a night and day difference with what I currently have. If I'd had the $800 on me, I would have grabbed them in a heartbeat. I also sampled a pair of DCMs (unsure of model) and Pioneer S-T500s; nice enough sound, but both lacking in looks/condition. All of which leads me to these questions:

1. Do newer or vintage speakers pair better with an older receiver?
    2. I'd prefer floor standing, but would bookshelf speakers be as good of an option?
    3. Vintage or new, what should I be looking for in the sub-$500 range? I know of the Elacs, some of the newer Klipschs and even the Andrew Jones Pioneers.

As always, any help is appreciated!

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Look into NHT for new.

A vintage Klipsch Forte or Cornwall can be had for $500 and they have tremendous bang for buck quotient. Yes, if you had $800 the Forte would have been a good choice, however they are often found for $500 or so too.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Given your room dimensions and your musical tastes and the Klipsch model that triggered your upgradeitis, I'd tend to tinfer you need a more realistic volume and timbre. My brother has your same speakers, and I too find them lacking .

I'd suggest modern Klipsch floorstanders :

R-26F Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch

These are discontinued and can be obtained mint used for your 500 bucks.

SandAndGlass and Claxton like this.
  4. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I just got recently the polk rti a7 s from crutchfield $600 for the pair.

A lil bright at first...but after breakin period sounds great.

Oh n they are beautiful looking too
    Real cherry wood

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    SandAndGlass, Archguy and Claxton like this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Another suggestion to check out NHT.

soundboy and Claxton like this.
  8. Claxton

I have seen you mention these many times when looking in other threads. They're definitely on my radar!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Claxton

I'm keeping an eye out for any local, older Klipsch that may come up for sale. The owner of the shop where I demoed these speakers had said he had a pair of Heresys coming soon for $650. I haven't followed back up on those.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Claxton

Very nice looking for sure. I've wondered what the lower priced models of Polks sound like as well.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I would vote for the Andrew Jones. They are fantastic and available all over the place. I see them popping up on Craigslist all the time. I've owned two pairs of the towers (cats got the first ones :cry:), the bookshelf speakers and now the center.

12. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Imho they sound great...ive had the polk moniter 60s for years...still do...now they are my surrounds/rears ..not as nice looking as the rti s....smaller...
    I listened to some kliphes years ago and did not like the sound of the horns..imho they were really bright...not neutral sounding at all

A friend mentioned when here i put on his heavy metal slayer and he said he was impressed w the bass from the moniter 60s. He said most speakers hes listened to could not handle slayer (Before i had the rti s)

I like the polk audios and they are reasonably priced
    Ymmv

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My mission speakers (made by Wharfedale), sound fantastic with my 1974 Marantz receiver.

Claxton likes this.
  14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The Heresy is lacking in bass extension. They would be a letdown after hearing Fortes. Now I see why they cost $800. They are in a shop. Buy from a private party. The shop probably paid $300-$400 for them.

Claxton likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

Because I own and love them. Our rooms are about the same size, and I have them hooked to an old Pioneer receiver, a bigger brother to yours;). Pioneer used to make good speakers(like yours) but with a pair like I suggest your jaw will drop, guaranteed:cool:

16. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Find someone local who has a few dozen speakers (like I do) and invite yourself over with your receiver in tow. Maybe take an A/B device with you. Bring a fifth of bourbon. Have fun.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  17. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

PS: I like the Fortes too... but they are definitely large FWIW.

[​IMG]

Claxton likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I love Polk speakers. I have their Monitor 60's and their Monitor 70's, both series II.

I think that at all price levels, the Polk's offer an excellent value.

I have a set of their RTiA9's. I also have their flagship LSiM707's. They are all good.

I have their center channel speaker's and their subs.

Not to discount Klipsch. I have owned Klipsch speaker's years ago and own both modern day and legacy model's.

Lots of nice speaker choices.

Claxton likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

Polks are very nice as well; great sound, terrific bang for the buck, and solidly built. Just thought the OP might be better of with the Klipschs because of his 45 wpc and his taste for rock music. They are way more efficient than the Polks. Not that the Polks can't rock, mind you, just not with that little power, which would make the Klipschs sing louder.

Claxton and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. Claxton

Just thought I'd post an update:

I had completely forgotten that I had a pair of Phase Tech PC60 bookshelf speakers that I had been using in the garage. I figured I'd bring them in to see how a bookshelf with a 6 1/2" woofer did in the room. They sounded remarkably good, and to me were a vast improvement over the Pioneer CS-77s I had been using. Based on that, I decided to look more into bookshelf options and landed on the Wharfedale Diamond 225s. The reviews here on the forums, on the web, and with other folks, coupled with the fact that they've been on sale recently for $349/pair (or $299 scratch and dent at Crutchfield), sealed the deal for me. I should be getting my new speakers this Friday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.