Another thread about outer record sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DeRosa, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever Thread Starter

As most folks have figured out, the jacket outer covers come in soft and cloudy polyethylene,
    and in the superior clear polypropylene, like the Sleeve City Ultimate 5.0 sleeve, a great product.
    http://www.sleevecityusa.com/12-inch-outer-record-sleeves-s/1880.htm

One thing I have found is the SleeveCity Ultimate 5.0 outer sleeve is too big for most "standard" size jackets.
    Obviously a little too big isn't the same problem as a little too small, but I dislike the extra floppiness at the
    edges when you slide the records in and out of the shelf. I contacted SleeveCity, and they said they have not had
    requests for a smaller Ultimate 5.0 sleeve. This surprised me, because likely more than 50% of my records
    are standard jackets that fit easily in a 12 5/8" sleeve, and their standard size 12 3/4" is loose.

So here's what i'm proposing. Contact Sleeve City and suggest
    they add another model of Ultimate 5.0 outer covers in a 'snug' 12 5/8" size!

I've tried the Soundsleeve "tight fit" jacket cover, and the 12 5/8" size is perfect for standard albums.
    These are good sleeves, but they're polyethylene so they're cloudy even at 3mil thick.
    http://www.needledoctor.com/12-Poly-Outer-Album-Jacket-100-pack?sc=2&category=500

A 'snug fit' Ultimate 5.0 would be a great addition to their product line!

2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

All of my records get a 2.5 Ultimate Outer Sleeve from Sleeve City. They are loose. But; I'm fine with that. My double LPs, & triples fit nicely, as well.
    Since Sleeve City is just down the road, I stop in, say hello to Tom, & peruse some of his used vinyl. I also buy my MOFI inner sleeves from him.
    It's like George Merrill says; everything is nearby! Tube Depot is here, as well.
    Interestingly; I took in my Division Bell box to see if his large box sleeves might work. No go. His large box sleeve is too small for any of my box sets which also includes, David Gilmour, & Porcupine Tree.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    BuddhaBob and DeRosa like this.
  3. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I'm with you on this. I like the Japanese resealable sleeves and prefer the 12 5/8" size , which now is hard to come by. Most websites don't list the measurements and they mainly sell 12 3/4" sleeves, which are fine for doubles and a lot of the 180 - 200 gram LP's, but I already have plenty of those on-hand.

4. John76

John76 Forum Resident

The "Blake" sleeve named for the gentleman who worked with Clearbags to develop a tighter fitting sleeve for single LP jackets are pretty well sorted. The BLP1 will fit single and most gatefold double LP jackets.

http://www.clearbags.com/12-11-16-x...cover-protective-closure-100-pieces-blp1.html

They also make a larger sleeve BLPD for album covers that won't fit a BLP1. I'd say 5% of my collection needs this size sleeve. Mostly newer double albums and double audiophile reissues.

http://www.clearbags.com/12-13-16-x...cover-protective-closure-100-pieces-blpd.html

I have about 2800 LP sleeved with these and they're very nice!

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever Thread Starter

This would be closer to what i'm looking for:
    http://www.clearbags.com/12-5-8-x-12-5-8-crystal-clear-album-cover-no-flap-100-pieces-blp1nf.html
    But it's only 2mil thick, i'd prefer something more substantial.

6. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I haven't had any issues other than a couple album covers too large for the BLP1 that split on me.

I locate the flap so that it's at the sleeve opening so that I can remove the inner without having to remove the album cover from the sleeve each time I want to listen to some music. It also keeps the album cover in nicer shape as it never get handled one placed in the sleeve. I orient the flap so it folds onto the back of the album jacket retaining a nice clean view of the front cover. Albums pull in and out of the rack with no damage to the flap.

I don't really like how the chap in the Sleeve City video orients his outer sleeve.

7. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

'Develop'? A record sleeve was named after someone for their ingenuity in deciding what size a sleeve should be? That must have been a tough one.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, that just made me chuckle. Hey, the truth is the truth, right?

Anyway, I use those 5-mil Sleeve City sleeves. I have a lot of vintage records where I don't wanna risk splitting the jacket so I stuff an extra plain jacket inside each sleeve for the actual record, so unfortunately I probably wouldn't be a customer for those. :shake:

8. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Well seeing folks are complaining about the Sleeve City sleeves being too sloppy for a single album, "develop" is something they should think about. ;-). BTW, the BLPD sleeve would likely fit your vintage records if you didn't insist on 5mil.

2xUeL likes this.
  9. RMB77

RMB77 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of thinner sleeves. Saves on shelf space.

10. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

You can cut down oversize sleeves using a cheap pencil type soldering iron and a metal straight edge. Just hammer the tip of the iron into a thin blade and pull it through the sleeve along the straight edge at the size you want. A bit time consuming though.

DeRosa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.