Anthem Of The Sun - Anniversary Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle_Meat, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Okay, listening to the 71 mix now. Yeah, this is the Anthem that introduced me to the Dead. I never heard it so clear and un-muddy though. My gear has gone through several upgrades since then, but there must have been a remastering somewhere along the line.

I think I may prefer the 68 mix, but several listens will be required to make sure it isn’t just the novelty of it. Good thing I have a cold, which makes a good excuse to spend the weekend jelling out with the Dead. :p

Crispy Rob, US Blues, RiRiIII and 4 others like this.
  2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Only ever had the CD version of this so original mix I believe. Waiting patiently for the delivery from Amazon as it's one of my favourite GD albums.

Want to hear how different this sounds.

3. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

The info at this link indicates it was released yesterday so I would guess that it is the 1971 mix like the newly released picture disc.

Anthem Of The Sun 50Th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Grateful Dead)

4. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Oddly enough, just doing a bit of spot-checking, i’m getting better clarity and highs on the original mix, such as cymbals or - on New Potato - the chimes and glockenspiel.

Galactus2 and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I think I am gonna head out to B&N and buy this... thanks for the tip

dloew likes this.
  6. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

I'd love to know how the vinyl sounds on this one. (-: Not expensive... B & N has 10% OFF today on top of it.

nfmboss666 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  7. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I am raging right now.
    Stupid me purchased this on iTunes and the 71 alligator is incomplete!
    After 2 seconds the sound cuts out and the remainder of the track is dead silence until Caution kicks in.
    I’m impatiently waiting for the fix.

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I would bet it’s the original mix. All the other issues from B&N so far are the same as what came in the orange studio albums box.
    I just ordered one to pickup at the store. Looking forward to adding it to my collection.
    Thanks for the heads up

dloew likes this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

Ps I couldn’t get the 10%coupon to work online

10. aoxomoxoa

Just picked up Anthem from B&N. No CB in deadwax though.
    Not sure what mix until I get home and play it. It has W7 labels so I assume it’s the original mix.

superstar19 likes this.
  11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Wow - t Just did some more spot-checking in the Subaru Forester (Harman Kardan) and the toms and cymbals in the 1968 mix of Born Cross-Eyed just blow away the remix. The toms are really deep and round and resonant in the first mix.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't heard the new version of the remix yet, but the previous copies I've heard generally sound murkier to me than the original mix. Not sure why that happened.

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, the new release of the 1971 "remix" is slightly different than the 2013 release. The musical differences (e.g., power chord at the end of Born Cross-Eyed, slightly shortened Caution) are the same, but the mastering is a little different, maybe even the mixing.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Rerelease the correct mix on vinyl.

mgb70, nfmboss666 and ianuaditis like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

I think they already did that not long ago. Isn’t the current issue the original mix?

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

All I know is I haven’t forgiven MOFI. Did Rhino reissue? I wasn’t aware it was the right mix if they did...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    nfmboss666 likes this.
  17. aoxomoxoa

There is a current version on vinyl but I’m unsure what’s actually on it.

18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Finished my first listen of the 10/22/67 show and it's a great one. Not quite at the level of 11/10 from 30 Trips, but still features some great jamming (see New Potato Caboose, Lovelight and the outro of TIFTOO). The original Other One lyrics were a bit jarring and not at the level of the final ones. Can't shed much light on the Mickey/No Mickey argument other than I can see both points at various times in the show. Glad this one saw the light of day as an official release.

laf848, MikeT, RiRiIII and 1 other person like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That's it for the other one is even better than the Shrine version.

anth67 likes this.
  20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just grabbed the orange version from Barnes & Noble on a lark, I hope it's the remix but we'll see.

The CD cover is really cool. I look forward to listening to the show this week.

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sorry kiddies, I just played a few tracks from the B&N colored vinyl and it ain’t the remix...:shake:
    [​IMG]

ultron9, Spadeygrove and uzn007 like this.
  22. CDJones

CDJones Explorer of the fine aural experience.

Sure is purdy, though.

SteevG likes this.
  23. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

If any Dead Head wanted to make the case that the Grateful Dead were one of the many late 60's "Proto-Heavy Metal" bands, the live "Morning Dew" that kicks off Disc 2 would be one of the first tracks i'd play in order to litigate my case. (Not that i share that particular delusion, mind...)

That said, HEAVY.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Haha thank you for this!

Lands End Drums and US Blues like this.
  25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The '68 and '71 mixes both sound great on this set, a bit more bass than previous releases (2001 remaster and HDtracks download) and the Plangent process transfers are excellent.

The live set is very similar to the best circulating copy of the show (a DAT copy from the Dead's master reel) but is cleaned up and edited a little differently. The fan copy runs to the very end of the tape which runs out during Lovelight, and the 50th Anniversary edition fades out.

If you don't already have that show it's a very worthy addition to any early Dead collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.