Anthem Of The Sun - Anniversary Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle_Meat, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've been a fan of that 10/22/67 show for years, which should be no surprise to anyone. I love me the primal.

[​IMG]

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The 2013 HDTracks also utilized the Plangent process

Laservampire likes this.
  3. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

Any clue however if at least it's the new remaster of the original mix? Or you think is same as a previous release, such as 2011 Rhino release of original '68 mix. A couple years ago B&N did a Aoxomoxoa release that used original '69 mix, so likely same as 2011 Rhino release I'd guess.

Is odd though as this release corresponded with the 50th Anniversary deluxe release (and is advertised as such on B&N website!), so I would think/hope for the new remaster.... which I'd even prefer remaster of original mix to '71 mix.... but seems maybe not?

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

As I reported earlier, it’s the same as the recent Rhino version, which sounds great.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'm super glad this saw official release, too, because it had never really grabbed me before like most sets of this era even though I'm a primal Dead guy, too. Maybe I just never gave my previous copy (cobbled together from Taper's Section bits and elsewhere) a good enough listen, but the new disc sounds heavier than I remembered. Certainly LOVING this now, crown jewel status for TIFTOO alone. Jerry's just ripping, and really far out. Pig's adorning organ on Cryptical sounds more like the baroque-ish lines TC would've come up with...love how in step with Jerry he was in '67.

After listening, I have no doubt that Bill the drummer is the only one drumming. Making the five-piece live photo in the booklet (which I've never seen before) the perfect visual suggestion of the band of freaks we're hearing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My local record store called to let me know my copy has arrived.
    I got into Grateful Dead in 2005. My first album was Anthem of the Sun, which I chose as my initial purchase for two reasons: because the label said that it featured a mixture of live and studio performances, a detail I found very attractive; and because of the late sixties WB logo on the cover that reminded me of some of the Looney Tunes I had watched when I was a kid (those late sixties shorts were generally pretty bad, with some few exceptions, but we're here to discuss music, not animation).
    It's a pleasure to buy it again 13 years later :)

Claxton, Blue Note, GerryO and 6 others like this.
  7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Yes it did, I forgot about that. Funnily enough the new remaster of the 1971 mix is a bit clearer and less compressed compared to the HDtracks.

I really hope they have a good source to work with for the Aoxomoxoa 1969 mix.....

Crispy Rob likes this.
  8. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Agreed, I’m getting that too. They hit notes of high clarity that I haven’t heard before on this album.

ronbow likes this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've got my cd right here. The lenticular cover is really trippy indeed!

notesofachord and Olompali like this.
  10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Not less compressed, they are about the same dynamic range. Some tracks on the new one are a fraction more compressed, some a fraction less. No more than 1 dB difference anywhere.

11. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

iTunes offered me a refund for my screwed up Anthem download, I accepted.
    Lesson learned. Will now order the CD.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I want to rectify my initial reaction to this recording. Sonic flaws aside (an uncomfortable stereo panning), I think it perfectly captures the band right in a transitional stage between the sound of the debut álbum and Anthem. More original material, more improvisation, but still not at the heights of the last portion of the year (11/10/67 is a perfect example). A very wise decision from the producers of this reissue, it's an historical moment of the band that hadn't been officially represented before.
    And, yes, it's definitely Billy alone on drums. And he's on fire.

Dahabenzapple, anth67, uzn007 and 6 others like this.
  13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

July 18 : It was 50 years ago today .... that Anthem Of The Sun was released :cheers:

(says wiki)

GerryO, JimSmiley, Blue Note and 3 others like this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Glad to see you've come to your senses. :D

Rne likes this.
  15. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I've owned this album for decades, but hearing this 50th anniversary edition blew my mind unlike any time I've ever heard it before. Don't know why, but it did.

GerryO and uzn007 like this.
  16. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

I’m goin to spin it backwards. Oh wait thats aoxomoxoa

steviebee and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I am enjoying this one a lot more than I would have guessed. Odds were high I would play the show a few times, and not do much with the album itself, but that has not been the case at all. Curious to do an AB comparison to my expanded edition from the Rhino box and see if it really sounds better, or if I just have not paid attention to the album in long enough for it to sound fresh.

SBegonias17, Crispy Rob and ronbow like this.
  18. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

2 FYI's for those interested: Amazon US currently has the pic disc for $14.28

...& I was thrilled to see that the AutoRip incl. both mixes AND the '67 show! :righton:

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't know of many 1967 recordings with stereo drums, even studio recordings. Although it isn't done in a very sophisticated way it's notable.

Crispy Rob and anth67 like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One word: BEAR. Always a step ahead.

It's an unbalanced stereo drum kit. The snare drum seems to move a little bit in the soundstage sometimes, and the cymbals get weird in some parts. But these recordings were not originally made with the intetion of releasing them, so it's ok.

anth67 likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Garcia and Weir's guitars also move around some (usually they are both on the right, but sometimes one of them goes towards the center).

22. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Me too! This show has long been one of my go to pre-1970 shows!

notesofachord and uzn007 like this.
  23. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

How does the 68 mix stack up on the new reissue, when compared with the 2003 remaster?

24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I haven't done a side-by-side yet, but on first listen the new release sounds fantastic. Enough that I'm already assuming it's better than the remaster.

As for the '68 vs. '71, both have their pluses and minuses. I go with '68 on That's It For the Other One, because of the drums on the choruses (though I prefer Bob's more singular vocal on the remix)...and the general weirdness. The '71 on Born Cross-Eyed all the way ~ the big chord, of course, but also the articulation of Bob's vocal on the "my how lovely you are, my dear" section. Sorry if I'm a broken record, I already noted some of this many pages back. But it was reconfirmed last night when I did a back-to-back listen.

My memory was correct, too, that the '68 mix features an extra "know he had to die" on the Cryptical reprise (maybe even two of them...last night I thought I discerned a dreamy one I'd never heard before...if I didn't dream it). I might prefer the '71 edit on that bit, just 'cause it's what I internalized first.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Every 15 days approximately I post something about the '72 European tour being the best ever, don't you worry :laugh:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.