Anthem Of The Sun - Anniversary Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle_Meat, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Thank you for the feedback! I have the OG vinyl and the '03 HDCD remaster but was looking for an excuse to buy the new deluxe package.

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Hopefully next year we'll get a stand-alone reissue of the original mix of Aoxomoxoa. Did they ever mess that one up!

ianuaditis, steviebee and Marvin like this.
  3. CDJones

CDJones Explorer of the fine aural experience.

I listened to the '71 Anthem mix for the first time last night. While the individual elements may be more discernible, I feel it's lacking the joyous anarchy of the '68 mix. And on both mixes, I think they missed the boat on the Cryptical > Quadlibet transition - after the drum buildup, the instrumental section should BURST out of the speakers. Instead, it sounds as if all the life is being sucked out of it.

ODShowtime and GerryO like this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I do think '71 packs the bigger punch on that. '68 just kinda beams you to alternate galaxy you suddenly find yourself floating in.

CDJones likes this.
  5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I used to champion the '71 mix but after re evaluation many years later the '68 mix sounds better. More primal but missing some key elements of the remix. Gotta have both!

GerryO, anth67 and oldjollymon like this.
  6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Has anyone ever sorted out which shows are placed where on the studio Anthem? I've seen lists of the shows used but not where they were used...

7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It is in here, and probably not going to be bested as far as detail. Grateful Dead Guide: Live vs. Studio Dead 1967-69

ianuaditis, marmalade166 and US Blues like this.
  8. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Barnes & Noble has an exclusive yellow and orange vinyl version for $21.99
    I just picked it up at lunch. I don’t know what mix it uses yet. Didn’t say and I haven’t had a chance to listen yet.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As of the last time I checked, yes, the second half of the "New Potato Caboose" jam from Anthem is not on any live tape available on the Archive.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and bmoregnr like this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Has anyone ever been able to hear the specific components of this quote: Lesh pointed out an example of the show combination in the Other One: “On tracks 1 and 2 we have the Grateful Dead at Kings Beach, California; on tracks 3 and 4 we have Eureka, California; and on 5, 6, 7, and 8 we have two different performances from Portland, Oregon.”

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I can't hear the Other One from Dick's Picks 22 on Anthem, so maybe a different version from that run is on tracks 1 and 2.

12. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Maybe it is from March 22nd?

13. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Mickey Hart posted this yesterday on Facebook,
    “A half century later we have both mixes of Anthem Of The Sun available to you, remastered, plus a bonus disc of the first known live recording I played with the Grateful Dead!”
    Could he be mistaken? Some of you clearly hear one drummer on the live tracks.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if some p.r. guy wrote that on Mickey's behalf.

15. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

16. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

Picture disc is currently $12.48 on Amazon fyi.... any comments on the quality for those who picked it up? Normally I steer clear of pic discs due to high noise floor... but at this price thinking of grabbing.

17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I also wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t listened to it and was just repeating what someone told him.

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I took delivery of this release last week.

It's a beautiful product: I love the psychedelic 3D effect on the back cover. And I was instantly won over by the 1971 mix (I'd only ever heard this album on the previously available CD, which uses the 1968 mix), which seems to me to contain a lot more detail.

The 1967 live show is nice to have but, at this point in their career, I don't think the Dead were a particularly good live band at this point (Garcia said as much himself), in fact they were positively sloppy. In 1967, it was all about the vibe and the light show.

19. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Okay, I have the 2003 CD reissue, in addition to earlier ones on both cd, lp and even cassette (heh). So is the new version superior to the 2003 release in terms of sound quality?

20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes imo.

Hardy Melville likes this.
  21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I think 11/10-11/11/67 would disagree with this

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Mabye he did play but his performance was not caught on tape. We'll never know (except pictures from that gig appear one day).

23. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Absolutely. 1967 shows were spotty but when they clicked they were exciting and innovative, and those are two of the best. I thought 10/22 was an odd choice, I've never found it too inspired. 8/4 & 8/5 are good too, and 9/3 stretches out in some interesting ways. By early 68 they're much more consistent -- incredible growth in this period -- but late 67 has great moments. We shouldn't judge this whole period by that one show.

Spadeygrove and MikeP5877 like this.
  24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I remember Norman making a comment on the 30 Trips ’67 show that a big thing he had to deal with was how much Jerry’s guitar amp bled into Mickey’s drum mics-- he seemed to half joke that at times Jerry's guitar track fader had to be turned way down there was so much of him in other mics; that and Mickey played very softly at times, so it was difficult to get Mickey to be present in the mix. I am not saying that is the case here, just something to think about. I have not gotten to this show yet.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    budwhite, laf848 and Rne like this.
  25. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

The 30 Trips '67 show was multi track where the Anthem show was not for whatever that is worth.

laf848, US Blues and bmoregnr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.