Anthrax "For All Kings" (2016) new album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

They still got it!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I NEVER buy DVDs anymore....unless they come in a CD set....however the boys came to my country yet again and did us proud..........

This is an automatic buy....love the Rock N Roll Over tribute cover

Wish there was a CD release though........

.....but......on the news Slayer are calling it a day, you have to wonder how much longer........

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. The Hud

Especially with Charlie's arm issues.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. The Hud

Man at C&A and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Charlie is not replaceable.

Man at C&A and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. The Hud

I would have to agree. I would be curious to hear the shows that have someone else drumming, but I wouldn't want to pay to see them and find out Charlie isn't playing.

Matthew Tate and Clonesteak like this.
  9. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I like it and maybe its as @Clanceman brings out that it sounds so much like the original. It's also not something one would think "Oh Anthrax should totally do a Kansas cover!"

10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Caught them once with Jon Dette instead of Charlie.....drums were a mess......they do need that real backbone.

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Doesn't Charlie write most of their music?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. The Hud

Yes, he does.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Almost Simon

There is a cd release, DVD also.

Double cd, double dvd, triple vinyl later in the year.

I only have the UK pre-order details.

UK: Anthrax's forthcoming live release Kings Among Scotland is due to hit shelves on April 27th and can be pre-ordered now: http://nblast.de/AnthraxKingsScotland

The two-hour long live DVD was filmed February 15, 2017 at the band's sold out show at the historic venue Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow. The release incorporates the band's entire live show - which includes classics like 'Madhouse,' 'I Am The Law,' 'Breathing Lightning' and 'Indians' - as well as interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and other B-roll shot on the band's tour bus, backstage hotels etc. There is also a gear rundown with each of the band members.

Kings Among Scotland was produced, directed, filmed and edited for Film24Productions by Paul M. Green (Opeth, The Damned, The Levellers) with the sound mixed by ANTHRAX studio producer Jay Ruston.

Disc: 1
    1. A.I.R. (Live)
    2. Madhouse (Live)
    3. Evil Twin (Live)
    4. Medusa (Live)
    5. Blood Eagle Wings (Live)
    6. Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't (Live)
    7. Be All End All (Live)
    8. Breathing Lightning (Live)

Disc: 2
    1. Among The Living (Live)
    2. Caught In A Mosh (Live)
    3. One World (Live)
    4. I Am The Law (Live)
    5. A Skeleton In The Closet (Live)
    6. Efilgnikcufecin (N.F.L.) [Live]
    7. A.D.I. / Horror Of It All (Live)
    8. Indians (Live)
    9. Imitation Of Life (Live)
    10. Antisocial (Live)

14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Thanks....already pre-ordered a couple of weeks ago...stumbled upon it on Amazon....surprised there was no mention of it at all on the bands website

Almost Simon likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I lucked out that someone's dumping their metal collection at the used store and got Vol.8 on CD for $5! I actually had this when it was released but traded it. It's probably favorite album from 1998. I hope Jon tours again for these albums.

Clonesteak, Matthew Tate and The Hud like this.
  16. The Hud

Wow! Great price for a OOP disc!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Following up. So what's the verdict? Personally I think that For All Kings curb stomps Hardwired...

It's certain that Anthrax took a backseat to Metallica for many years, and rightfully so! But today? Anthrax's quality control is just better than any of the Big 4.

18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I may have said this before, but the last two Anthrax albums have been my favourites of theirs since they came out. As a fan since Spreading The Disease, this is a big deal for me. Truth is, for the past few years it has been Worship Music and For All Kings that I go to whenever I feel like playing any Anthrax. I still can't get enough of Breathing Lightning, You Gotta Believe, In The End, Suzerain, The Devil You Know, Crawl, Blood Eagle Wings...

I really wish they played more of the recent stuff live. I saw them back in 2016 and though it was a short show half of it was new stuff (no Blood Eagle Wings, though!). Last winter opening for Slayer, 1 from Worship Music, nothing from For All Kings. I would've thought that that was the perfect setting to show the people who were there for Slayer just how good their current material is, I was expecting a more balanced show.

Well, anyway. Worship Music and For All Kings are both excellent albums.

The Hud and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I think For All Kings is the better record. That said, if Hardwired... had just been the first disc as it was released, or if Spit Out the Bone was added to those same six songs it would probably make it a coin toss.

As I've said a bunch of times, the first disc of Hardwired seems sequenced to be a complete album while the second disc seems like the leftovers and wasn't given the same thought. There are good/great songs on disc two but it's scattered and several of the songs drag on too long.

For All Kings is a sixty minute album that seems to go by in half that and there isn't a bad song to be heard. The bonus song Vice of the People is of the same quality as the proper record.

20. Just a follow up of my own.

I missed this album in 2016, just as I missed almost every metal album from 1993 on. (I think the last new metal album I purchased, outside of a few later day Metallica albums, was Voivod's The Outer Limits.)

That's my caveat. I never really ceased being a metal head, but a lot of the new stuff coming out around that '92-'93 timeframe didn't reach me like the earlier thrash. It had nothing to do with my age, because I had just turned 20 in 1993. Sure, I had heard tons of metal albums over the years, all the way until today, but nothing made me want to go out and buy it.

I remember when Worship Music came out. After being mostly disappointed by the Bush era, I was mildly excited that Joey was back. What I heard was certainly a step in the right direction, but I didn't cotton to several of the "lesser" album tracks, so I didn't buy it.

It wasn't until 2019 that I really listened to For All Kings.

Now, my caveat my not qualify me to proclaim a modern metal album a "masterpiece," yet that's what I feel about For All Kings.

If this album had come out after Persistence of Time it would have been their "Black Album." Or, if we don't want to bite on that, then how about an unprecedented resurgence where Worship Music = Spreading the Disease & For All Kings = Among the Living? Can they pull off a trifecta? We're looking at a new album in 2020 or 2021?

I haven't heard a metal album this good in a long, long time.

21. Almost Simon

I'm with you 100% on this album. This one has been my most played album over the past 3 years. No weakness, full of strong songs, I find it disappointing it hasn't gotten more attention. Hopefully in the future people will realise its quality in greater numbers.

22. I was listening to the last song on Persistence of Time, "Discharge," and then started on For All Kings. Try it. Besides a difference in production, stylistically it sounds like no time had passed at all. It's really weird. Something I have never experienced in music. Usually when a band is done, they're done. That doesn't mean they can't make strong music again. I can point out a number of tunes I like during the Bush era, but to my ears, no strong albums as a whole - at least not compared to their first several.

That might make an interesting thread topic, if it hasn't been already done. Like, what band has come out with a groundbreaking album 20 years after their last biggest one. That's probably a short list. That would be like asking Metallica to do another AJFA. Or, how are you going to get Willie Nelson to do another Stardust in 2019?

Matthew Tate and Almost Simon like this.
  23. Almost Simon and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Tall order following Worship Music and For All Kings, but if it's anywhere near as good as those I really don't care if they say it's their Sgt. Pepper's either. Bring it on!

25. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I might have to revisit the recent Anthrax discs. I heard a bit from them around the time they were released but wasn't overly impressed, but I'm willing to give them another shot. If they're even close to the quality of the last five Overkill discs it'll be worth it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.