Anti-Cables vs DNM Stereo Solid Core Precision 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JoelWat, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought you guys might find this interesting ... Today I changed my trusted Anti-Cables for Denis Morecroft's DNM Stereo Solid Core Precision 2 speaker cables. You can read the blurb here. There is a similarity in approach here as both are solid core copper cables with minimal insulation.

Let me explain my first reaction immediately after the cable swap. I played Vol. 1 of Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan's 1974 Carnegie Hall Concert (vinyl, CTI 6054 S1). It opens side 2 with the spoken introduction of 'My Funny Valentine'. With Anti-Cables in the system the spoken word has a somewhat grey and crunchy sound. With the DNM cable I actually heard a fairly natural voice, in 3D. Still not the best recorded voice but that is what is on the recording. The DNM was pretty amazing in its transparency. It let far more of the music through.

The DNM cable allowed the recording to breath as it were. I heard a more natural tone and more depth and a wider, more open soundstage. The difference, to my surprise, was not subtle!

To make sure this was a repeatable observation I switched back to Anti-Cables after playing Volume 2 which opens with a far more dense tune on side one called 'It's sandy at the beach'. The piano returned to a far more tinkly sound with the AC vs a more rounded and believable piano sound with the DNM. That was a big difference. Less space in a somewhat smaller soundstage was another. Applause sounded more homogeneous in comparison. The DNM created a better sense of a large amount of individuals clapping their hands. John Scofield's guitar notes collapsed into a more two dimensional sound with the AC. Cymbals had less of a metallic tic with the AC than with the DNM.

I can go on but the above sums up the differences pretty much. I am very impressed with these cables and I did not expect such a big difference. The DNM are here to stay.

TheeGory likes this.
  2. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Have you tried DNM ICs with Eichmann Bullet plugs as they look to follow in the pure minimalist path?

Everyone who comments on these cables pretty much mentions the stupefying level of transparency and the natural tones, hmmm.:)

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    TheeGory likes this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I used the anti-cable speaker cable, with satisfaction, for a few years without any termination. Was easy enough snaking the bare sold core into the speaker's terminations. Minimalist path. :)

Thorensman likes this.
  4. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

But what about ICs (interconnects)???

5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that, quoted you but replying to the initial post. :doh:

TheeGory likes this.
  6. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Great write up! I can't believe. The awesomeness of these DNM cables. I have a pair on loan and (foolishly) went with Rega Quattro cable to replace them due to a rega amp/rega tt. These are brilliant. Work wonders with metal domed tweeters, too!

7. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks TheeGory - it's interesting to read that you have a similar observation within a different system context.

TheeGory likes this.
  8. triple

triple Senior Member

So basically cables are better than anti-cables? It reminds me of the beer vs non alcoholic beer situation...

TheeGory and JoelWat like this.
  9. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Yeah totally! I thought I was going crazy. Such a dynamic presence.

10. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I like that DNM uses low mass connectors. Eichmann also specializes in low mass connectors as well. It seems like so many RCA plugs, RCA jacks and binding posts are made to be solid and heavy. Unfortunately the large connectors tend to be made from brass with gold plating. There are a few exceptions like the pure copper binding posts that Cardas has (one of their models) and also the Vampire pure copper RCA jacks and binding posts.

I'd rather have a low mass pure copper (or silver) connector than a heavy, bulky brass connector.

Scott

TheeGory likes this.
  11. Idler

Idler Active Member

Just resurrecting a thread to also praise the DNM cables. Until recently I had been using Chord - Rumour 2 speaker cables and Chameleon interconnect with a Rega Brio and B & W 685 S2 speakers.

I decided to give a pair of Dali Mentor Menuets I have a go in this system - and the results were not great. The sound became a bit "small" and bright.

So I started the cable comparison roundabout - I tried Talk 3, Van damme, Kimber PR4, Belden, Canare, Chord Silver Screen, Supra, Audioquest Type 4 and some 8 year old DNM to which I soldered some new low mass Deltron plugs.

In my system the DNM won hands down (with the PR4 coming second). So then I dug out some old DNM interconnect cable added some new KLEI plugs and I was even more pleased with the sound. The DNM cables appear to offer a degree of "air" ,resolution and musical involvement beyond the other cables - with to me no detectable loss of bass and rhythm and drive.

I have now ordered some DNM Precision 2 speaker cable seeking even more improvement. BTW the KLEI /Eichmann plugs are also much better than the old Eichmann Bullets which used to be on the DNM interconnect.

TheeGory likes this.
  12. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Yes! I purchased rega bi-wires to go for synergy (as I stated earlier) and after a burn-in they still felt like a sheen was covering up the details. Notes were detectable and clear but there was no emotional connection for me. Put the DNM cables back on and wow! What a difference. I ended up buying the cables from a good friend that had loaned them to me. I'm honestly gobsmacked at the difference. Timing and presence, it's incredible what a difference it made on my modest setup.

Have you tried Crimson cables? The same friend is also a fan. I do believe they're a little pricier.

Please let me know how the new Dnm cables fare! So happy I'm not crazy! Thanks for the wrote up!

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Anyone know what gauge wire is used in the DNM speaker cables?

I had a set of these cables a few years ago. Could never fault the sound they provided, but was bothered by how tiny the wires were. They looked to be either 18 gauge or 16 gauge at best. I'm sure the gauge is adequate for my 6 to 8 ft run, especially as I'm using 50 watt max amp and don't push it.

Back when I owned the cables I researched it but never could find the gauge referenced.

14. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Not a clue! But I agree with you're never faulting the sound :) I know they don't offer a fully neutral tone but they also don't completely manipulate the sound, either. That sounds totally contradictory but I think it sums them up.

15. audioaddict78

audioaddict78 Forum Resident

I bought a pair of DNM speaker cables to put between an ATC amp and ATC SCM40 speakers I had at the time, and a pair of DNM RCA interconnects between the amp and an Ayre QB9 DAC. Cost me about $350 total, most expensive parts were the Eichmann bullet plugs and banana plugs. To be honest, it was the worst sounding cables I'd used. Thin, scratchy, compressed, irritating. Yes, there was a midrange charm in there somewhere and sounded interesting for a few minutes, then you realise that, as a whole, it just sounded forced and just bad like the bandwidth reduced and lacked dynamics. QED 79 strand speaker cable was so much better, music came back to life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.