Anti-skate with VPI

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

It is finicky. My VPI also the best sounding turntable I've ever owned. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it, unless I upgrade. I like the idea of that VTA on the fly rig, just can't afford it now.
    Thing is, once you've got things adjusted, which does take some time, then that's it. Unless you switch out carts, you're done. And switching out carts, while not effortless, is not that big a deal.

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

vpiindustries.com

The main page says, "Check out the VPI forum"

3. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

When the truth is we still include it even though we don't believe in it and are not making it cheaper/earning more money.

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

My understanding is that Harry/VPI never felt the need for an anti-skake device yet provided one due to ongoing feedback. I agree with just twist the wire of needed and get on with life (which is too short).

McLover, kannibal and vpiindustries like this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

That's what I did, but deploying the anti-skate has had an immediate effect on the stylus locking in the groove. I have yet to hear if it makes any difference in sound.

So I'm wondering, what do I listen for?

I have noticed one thing: while monitoring levels on my CD recorder while playing a mono LP, the levels evened out more than before I started using the anti-skate. I was using a stereo cart and no mono button...

6. EdogawaRampo

I'm glad you did. I'm thoughly enjoying my Classic, which, as I posted above, is far and above the nicest sounding turntable I've ever owned.

I'm sure it's not for everyone -- the unipivot took some getting used to.

And I do suggest working on clearer, more comprehensive manual/instructions for your products. Non-experts like myself have to do a lot of looking around to get things set up right when we don't have a dealer to do it or we want to learn to do it ourselves. More instruction photos would be a help.

But that small complaint aside, I am very happy to see VPI have the success it's having, introducing new, less expensive lines, maintaining the high end product lines, everything.

For me, companies like VPI give me some faith in the future, in a future where good companies get exposure and succeed, in light of all the tremendous BS and overpriced shoddy merchandise that has been floating around in recent years.

And American made is the frosting on the cake.

Here's to your continued suceess.

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Here's my experience with a Classic 1 and anti-skate with a Hi-Fi News test record.

With the anti-skate device I could get through the first two test tracks but not the 3rd, certainly not the 4th (even with no weight applied, like Fremer did on the DVD)

Took out the device. Twisted the wire counter-clockwise twice, got through the first 3 test tracks flawlessly. Seems the twist does the trick, and in my case, worked better.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have gotten by without antiskate for many years. And you rarely ever saw it on broadcast tonearms outside of SME and Jelco. So, it's hardly a new idea. The twist of the wire works as well as anti-skate in practice for bias compensation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.