Anti-static brushes: Correct usage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jriems, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan Thread Starter

I, likes so many others with vinyl rigs, use an anti-static brush to clean records just before playing. It occurs to me, however, that there really isn't a clear picture of how to use the darned thing. Nebulous descriptions like, "give the side a good cleaning with the brush" don't really explain the exact procedure, now do they?

I'm interested in hearing exactly how you use your anti-static brush

Do you keep the record stationary while wiping the brush around the surface? Do you hold the brush in one place while the record spins beneath it? How many revolutions is enough? What is your "exit strategy" for moving the brush off the record?

I'll start - I put the record on the mat, spin the disc up to 45rpm, and set the brush down in one position. I let it go for about 15 seconds, then kind of drag the brush at a diagonal across the record and off when I'm finished, rather than lifting it straight up.

2. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

No, Yes, 2-3, lift.

rainspainplain likes this.
  3. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I have the Hunt style and the Acoustech style and I use them interchangeably as needed.

First, I usually clean all my records before play. There's just too much static on them otherwise. But sometimes I can't wait so a few zaps with the zerostat takes care of most of that.

Then in one motion, with the Hunt brush, I put the leading edge down for a revolution or so, then the flat part, then trailing edge, then try to "wisk" up that last bit of dust.

If its still there, then I'll take the Acoustech brush and let it glide around for a few revolutions, then I'll actually wisk it off towards the outer edge of the record. Repeat as necessary.

For cleaned records, stored in antistatic sleeves, once around with the Acoustech brush is usually enough.

4. Jim in Houston

BTW, I'd like to add that I've been pleasently surprised by the last couple of batches of new vinyl I've bought. The Black Keys: Brothers, CAKE: Showroom of Compassion, Wings: Band on the Run, America: Homecoming and Chicago Transit Authority have all played extemely quite with only the dry cleaning method above. Although the Black Keys record had what looked like a fingernail clipping on the last track of side two it was actually some kinda dried compound that wouldn't come off. Surprisingly in only resulted in a couple of audible "thumps". I think it'll probably come off with a wet cleaning.

This is also after I adjusted my anti-skating using the blank side of a Hendrix: Radio One Ryko Disc. I think that really helped cut down on surface noise.

5. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Spinning at whatever speed is playing works, usually 3-4 revolutions, more if dusty and pull it straight off the edge. I think the only tricks I've learned are to hold the brush in a straight line between the center hole and the record's edge as it seems to allow more access to the grooves. Hold the brush so the least amount of pressure is applied - usually the weight of the brush will do and pull it off the edge in a straight line with the same pressure. I also touch a knob on my preamp 'cause I heard that being grounded helps remove static though I'm not 100% about that. Then, turn away from the TT, clean the brush, turn it to the other side and repeat, once sometimes twice is necessary to remove all the dust. By now, the record should be dust free but if I still hear or see dust, I am not above using the brush while the record is playing.

Note that these brushes are useless on dirt and work much better in concert with a Zerostat, static gun or such.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  6. Jim in Houston

exactly, also the weight of the Hunt brush will usually stop an uncleaned record yet glide easily on a cleaned record.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

If you're talking a carbon fibre brush, these work better when used very slowly. When I use one, I rotate the disc slowly by hand and move the brush off the edge equally slowly while rotating.

Working under a bright light you can always see the remaining dust. Working faster simply means the brush picks up less of it, because there's still static charge holding it to the disc.

Best: keep the disc still on a table or your lap and rotate the brush only, 'flipping' the brush up at the end to attempt to lift the dust. Again, under bright light you can see how effectively the brush moves the dust, and how badly it lifts it :(

8. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

This is how my dealer taught me to do it so it's what I do, as well. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get most of the dust off, though, and even then it seems there's always a small amount of dust left on the record.

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

That difference in 'feel' was one of the things that convinced me all records were contaminated until cleaned.

Interestingly, if you brush a new or quite dusty disc with the Hunt you can get the feel a lot smoother if you brush a lot. But it's hard work (harder than wet cleaning)

10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have compressed AIR that I use before the brush to get off any surface dust, then place the anti-static brush over the grooves following the grooves then lift off after 2-3 spins....never get much off due to "clean" records and the AIR takes care of the rest!

sean

11. Jim in Houston

Agreed, My 1st attempt at cleaning was grinding the Hunt brush in as hard as I could while manually spinning the platter because the platter would always stop when I tried to let the brush do the work. Then after my 1st attempt with the Disc Doctor fluids and brushes the dry brushes worked like a dream.

12. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

How often do you replace your brushes?

13. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I have one of these brushes but I wonder really whether it does more harm than good. Although it does pick up some dust, it's already been noted here that it also leaves a lot behind and I wonder how much of that dust is actually being pressed down into grooves by the brushing action instead of being just left to rest harmlessly on the surface. Obviously it would be nice if you could find a way of getting rid of the dust but I wonder whether this brush is the answer.

I think this is why Roy Gandy of Rega says you shouldn't clean LPs - the stylus, he says, can safely be left to sweep aside any minor debris.

I still think there are huge advantages to be gained by wet cleaning LPs with the right equipment but I'm going to try doing without the dry cleaning brush in between.

14. I think Roy is probably partially right. I'm sure that the needle will/can push a lot of the crap aside and even under the stylus. Having said that, I've pretty much used everything under the sun over the past 25 or 30 years and my preferred tool of choice is still the RCM. I still use the carbon fiber brush for a quickie but I was always under the impression that the CF brush make no legitimate claims to reduce or eliminate static, rather, just simply not generate any while cleaning.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I place the brush lightly over the spinning record for a couple of revolutions. Then, I wipe the brush and do it again, only this time, slowly moving the brush off to the outer edge of the record. Wipe brush again, and repeat.

16. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I do it the same exact way.

17. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

I believe the proper way to "disengage" it is to slide it toward the center of the record so the dust particles clinging to the bristles follow the grooves of the record inward, just as a stylus would. I think that's the whole point. If you lift it up instead, more of the dust probably stays on the record. And if you slide it outward, toward the edge of the record, it's not as easy for the dust to follow its "escape route" to the center of the record.
    -Bob

18. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

By the time I use the brush, the record is already cinched down with a clamp so brushing to the center is not an option but considering there's only one groove and it logically runs in both directions, I would assume there wouldn't be any difference whether the brush was pushed inwards or outwards. If you reversed the TT's motor and placed the stylus in the run-out band, the record would play perfectly, albeit backward and if unstopped, would most likely fall off the outer edge - DOH!

19. rexaroonie

rexaroonie Forum Resident

Yes +1

20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

How do you clean the brush off after numerous usage? I was recommended to use tape to pull of debris. It works but interested in what others do.

21. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

My brush really doesn't pick up that much dust so routine cleaning isn't necessary. If a record has more dust than usual, I'll lightly wipe it with a Swiffer anti-static cloth...very lightly before using the brush. Still more dust and I'll clean the record on the VPI 16.5.

I also have a ionic air cleaner near the TT and if I notice dust on the brush, I'll lightly wipe it across the intake fins a couple of times before I turn the air cleaner off.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I let the record spin (I have a DD table, so I don't worry about stretching any "belts"...) and lightly place the brush across the record, and slowly move it over edge, and off the record as it spins. Doing this, you won't leave a "line" of dust (by just lifting the brush). You have to use a little "finesse" doing this. Let the brush do the work, you don't have to "press down" with the brush (you won't get any more dust by doing that).

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.