Anti-static brushes: Correct usage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jriems, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronankeane

ronankeane Forum Resident

This is how I use mine:

Set the disc rotating at 33 rpm.

Left hand on the amp to ground myself.

Hold the brush above the disc, and then bring it down so that the ends of the bristles just make contact with the surface of the disc.

After a couple of revolutions, lift the brush and clean it by turning it 360 degrees. (The ends of the bristles rub off the handle and the dust pretty much jumps off.)

Repeat once or twice as necessary.

Based on a comment someone posted here about a year ago, I made a couple of changes in how I use the brush: Grounding myself, and only lightly touching the surface of the disc. The brush works way better as a result. I no longer even bother trying to get the dust to one side, as it almost seems to jump off the disc and onto the bristles. I don't remember who posted that advice, but they did me a big favour.

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I can't wait to try this. The whole touching of the preamp would never have occurred to me. I normally use a fairly light touch, but perhaps even lighter will work better. As it is, I get the "line" of dust if I lift it straight up, and it is frustrating to try to remove those particles by brushing them off the edge.

Unfortunately, my preamp is positioned in a way that touching it while doing this will be awkward, but I'm sure I can find a way. EDIT: Would touching the phono-stage preamp do the same thing? That would be far more convenient in my set-up than touching the main preamp.

3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

What you really need is a can of air. :thumbsup:

4. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

6. Looks like the same principal design as the sticky Nagaoka CL 52 that's been around for decades. I used one for years and only just recently sold it. 2 things I didn't like about it were the roller would "sweat" a residue if stored for weeks and this would transmit to your record if you didn't rinse it first. It also did generate some static charge after rolling.

I did also notice that the "sticky stuff" did diminish after prolonged rinsing but that might have been as a result of my using soapy water to clean the gunk off.

I guess that's 3 things. It did pull a lot of crap out of the grooves though.

7. Here's a picture of the Nagaoka in yellow for those curious, and the ITG in blue:

Attached Files:

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

For the Hunt EDA brush.

1. Use a rolling motion front edge down initially then slowly moving to flat/parallel position.

2. Drag at a slight angle off the LP.

3. Clean by brushing against corduroy and also using a lint brush of sticky tape.

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Good explanation. I will admit that the techinique has taken me a while and it's likely still not perfect. The last step is what I was wondering. I use a small piece of sticky tape and it removes any small debris. My main concern was the glue from the tape builing up on the brush. Likely too much thought and worry.

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

11. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing it up for me Ryan

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I think that real question is: "anti-static" brushes really remove the static???
    Im looking a real way to remove static.

13. I do it this way:

Dino likes this.
  14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

horizontal "scape", that is to dont scratch the record or? why of that way, just curious...

15. According to the video description...

I think it makes sense and that's why I adopted that technique.

16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Doing it inwards is the best way. When the brush hits the center spindle you will see how the dust sucks up into the brush. I guess it gets grounded. I get much better result doing it inwards than outwards.

17. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

The real correct useage of those carbon fiber brushes is to throw them in the garbage and get an original, black-bristled Discwasher brush. Much superior for removing dust from a record prior to playing.

Doug

18. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

The Hunt type brush works much better too me than the old Diskwasher. I do have a Clearaudio Smart Matrix for deep cleaning though.

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

So, if you touch your preamp while using the Hunt EDA will that help to get all of the dust particles to "jump" onto the bristles without having to do any kind of horizontal sweep?

20. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Just to clarify... You don't necessarily have to touch the preamp - anything that's grounded will do. The theory being that by grounding yourself, your body provides a route for the static to follow away from the record. I have a grounded anti-static mat in front of my TT that I stand on and it acts the same as touching grounded gear. As long as the brush your using is capable of conducting (no insulating materials like plastic or wood between the fibers/bristles and your fingers) or has its own grounding wire then it should work like a charm.

Robert C likes this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This^^^. Times eleventy gajillion.

Carbon fiber brushes are excellent for moving dust from one part of the record to another. But for actually removing dust and reducing static? Not so much.

If you're cleaning your records with a cleaner that has anti-static properties, you shouldn't really need an anti-static brush. But if you find you need something, try placing a damp sponge on the plynth first. Start simple and work your way from there, not the other way around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.