Anton's rather different TOP 50 favorite records of all time thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Wow! I would have sold (someone else's) kidney to hear Carried Away done by a band on a night out!:righton:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It looked like this was the video with the biggest budget. It certainly represented the 'new' Olivia better than the play acting of 'Physical' did. Nice to see Matt in the video. Art imitating life?!

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The whole Physical video project was pretty groundbreaking for it's time. Wasn't it one of the first LPs to have EVERY song made into a promo? I know that Blondie's Eat to the Beat was made into a video album. Maybe there were more.

4. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Now you're out of sinking and back with a good slice of cheesy pop!

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Other than the title track and Make a move on me I don't think you can call anything here "cheesy". All IMHO.

6. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Not my cup of tea...I'll just leave it at that.
    :help:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I do remember something about Blondie... I have the LP and CD but haven't seen all the videos. I remember the 'Physical' album had charted poorly in the UK upon it's initial release, but as soon as the 'Let's Get Physical' TV special was shown in January 1982, the album went top 10! A lot of money was spent on the video album. I recall £250,000 being mentioned which was a lot of cash back then. Totally worth it, of course! It wiped the failure of 'Xanadu' (the movie) from everyone's mind and gave her a new lease of life.

Flicking back to your original review, you mentioned you were 8 when you heard it and didn't 'get' the album at all. I had a similar experience with my first Olivia release, the 'Mellow' album in 1975. I was 12 and was drawn to the LP by the wonderful title track and her beautiful voice. Thing was, that album took me years to like! I think I was expecting lots of poppy country rockers... Instead I got 'And In The Morning' and 'I Never Did Sing You A Love Song'! Not exactly songs you can whistle as you wait for the bus!

It's become one of my favourite ONJ albums over time, though. Just goes to show that if you give an record time you can really come to appreciate it's merits... Makes you wonder how many (potentially) great albums we reject and never play again because they didn't hit us on the first few plays, doesn't it?!

Mylene likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

+1 :targettiphat:

9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I wasn't 8 when I first heard it, I was 25 or something. I was 8 in 1981 but of course it wasn't until late 80's-early 90's that I even discovered ONJ. Just like Bruce Springsteen who we talked about earlier she's incredibly unknown/unpopular in my neck of woods.

10. Bobby Morrow

antonkk likes this.
  11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And that's absolutely OK. I think the only person who can tolerate ALL records in this list is, well...me.:D

12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I appreciate the love you have for these albums and artists who others so easily dismiss. I have no patience for people who refuse to listen to someone based on an opinion formed through someone else's bias. Music critics are the worst for parroting the sacred opinions of others, so I only really trust the fans who speak their minds about their musical tastes.

I think I will begin my own list like this sometime soon, and I hope others follow suit as well. Thanks Anton.

skybluestoday, drasil and antonkk like this.
  13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

:edthumbs: By all means go for it! Would love to read it.

14. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I've thought that of a few other songs, but then ended up loving the cover version. That being said Frankie's version of BTR was horrendous.

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Anyone who really listens to the chorus in the song Physical will be able to tell that she is dead on pitch and a top notch singer. Especially how the second time she sings the word "Physical" in the chorus is a little chromatic rundown. Her pitch is dead on and you almost don't notice the difference in notes between them.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  16. Bobby Morrow

I think the clear, innocent way she sings 'Physical' counteracts the sauciness of the lyrics. Don't know if that was intentional or not? A less gifted singer would grunt and growl through it to get the message across, but Olivia doesn't need to..

Rose River Bear likes this.
  17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

:righton: Wasn't it Sir Cliff who once said that Livvy is the most professional singer he ever knew and has the 100% perfect pitch?

18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I'm still not crazy about that song itself but I'm kinda glad that it didn't go to Rod Stewart as Steve Kipner originally intended.

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think it was him IIRC.

20. Bobby Morrow

I know. Imagine what Rod would have done with the video! Ugh!

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

But I would argue that Livvy shouldn't have done the cheesy aerobics to the very racy lyrics. I know it would have shocked her long-time fan base, but if she had pushed the video in a Madonna-esque fashion it might have helped sell the LP more and given her commercial standing in the 80s more longevity.

22. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

She's great, what can we say. And she has only got some recognition since the last 5 years or so. Time to stand up and be proud of neon lycra body suits!!!!!

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Is it true Physical was banned in Utah?
    I remember that Salt Lake City live video like it was yesterday. When she played her older hits her backing musicians put on cowboy hats.

24. Bobby Morrow

Maybe, but she was never good at the sexy/raunchy stuff on camera. I think this was the only way to get through it. Make a joke of it! TBH, I don't think it would have mattered what she did to ensure her longevity... When Madonna came along, she was such a force all the pop female singers of the time got pretty much swept away.

25. Bobby Morrow

She was indeed banned in Utah. Of course, all the publicity helped the song rocket to #1 even faster! I think she's rather proud of being banned now!

EasterEverywhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.