Any appreciation for John Martyn?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blackdograilroad, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

That's nice.

2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Apollo Manchester, we were late arrivals and I was the carrier of 7 bottles of Nuki Brown. 3 rows back from stage, we had to walk right in front of it, John stopped the band and cadged a bottle. He passed his spliff, unfortunately he downed the pint in one gulp and we had to pass his spliff back.

My friend saw him fall off stage once and he carried on playing.

3. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I saw him once play live in Santa Monica, CA in 1973, I thought he was quite good.

4. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Without John she would never have been inspired enough to record this, she's been quoted as saying. She modelled her guitar style on his first album

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

That Bridget St John record is a marvel. Saw her in Camden (the London one) playing at a vegetarian restaurant in 2010, and it was delightful. Michael Chapman was the support act!

Alan2, lemonade kid, sjaca and 2 others like this.
  6. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

Huge appreciate for John Martyn--and hoping some of you can answer this. Anyone know how The Tumbler vinyl reissue that just came out has been mastered? London Conversation was all analogue--and sounds better than any original I have heard, though never owned one myself. I have a palm tree island of The Tumbler (not pink rim--but nice pressing) that I would sell to a collector if I knew that the reissue was all analog, or at least carefully done.

7. PretzelLogic

After Friday's discussion, I ordered One World on vinyl (UK, 70s, but not a first press, a night/day label with the Couldn't Love You More side as the 'a').

Crikey, it sounds beautiful. There's some warmth lost on the translation to digital that makes it much more intimate on wax. Happy happy.

8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Can't be 100% sure but I believe the original press is the night and day label. Which digital version are you comparing the vinyl to and what's your equipment (I can't view your info), cheers.

9. PretzelLogic

I've got the Deluxe double CD, and the Island Years box, which I think are the same masterings.

I wasn't AB'ing deliberately but just first impressions- it's through my casual listening system which is a Sharp Optonica RP114 into a Samsung something or other (it's a home cinema rather than a music playing amp). I'll give it a go in my dedicated listening system (B&O Beogram 4002 into a Beomaster 2400 out through Beovox 3000s).

10. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

Inside Out & Sundays Child vinyl now up for pre-order on amazon
    Release date 12th May , £18.17 each

11. 'Solid Air' by JOHN MARTYN is an absolute masterpiece. 'Solid Air', 'I'd Rather Be The Devil', 'Over The Hill', and 'Go Down Easy' are four standout tracks, in my opinion. I used to think that 'Jelly Roll' (if that's what the song is called) was a bit out of place, but somehow that feeling has passed with more listens. I am not familiar with his other albums, but reading some of this thread, I should dive into some more of his work.

12. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I received my half speed mastered Solid Air today and it is simply marvellous.
    It's a quiet pressing with a superb frequency balance and very immersive.
    If only all remasters could be like this.

If you like Solid Air, I reckon you might like Bless the Weather and Sunday's Child,
    Then try One World, Inside Out and then Grace & Danger.
    I'm afraid he loses me after that one.

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I bring this up every once and awhile tho' I seem to be an outlier in my opinion that the two records John made with Beverly are among his best. Stormbringer perhaps the lesser but 'Would You Believe" and "John the Baptist" belong on any comp of his best work. Bev's songs are o.k., but clearly a trade off in intensity. "Road to Ruin" is, imo, essential. The underrated Paul Harris on keyboards doesn't back down and his glorious full chording is given free reign - it's refreshing to hear Martyn play off another strong instrumental voice. Bev's songs are better, particularly 'Auntie Avitator' which builds to a rampaging climax. The splendid cover of Paul Wheeler's "Give Us a Ring' is surely one of John's finest moments and warmest vocals. "Parcels" and "Say what You" (as close as John ever got to making a record at Stax in Memphis) up there with his greatest work.

I also like 'Glorious Fool" more than some of his more highly acclaimed records, so coming at this from a different angle.

sjaca, lemonade kid and sberger like this.
  14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Just received the new 2-CD acoustic compilation. Can't wait to spin it.

sberger likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

John & Bev's two LPs are great!!.

Amazing albums also highly recommended by John-

Bless The Weather
    Grace and Danger - is fantastic!
    In Session at BBC 1973-78
    London Conversation
    Solid Air Deluxe edition has alternate takes of all the tracks...amazing
    Sunday's Child
    The Tumbler
    OneWorld

One of my all time favorite John Martyn tracks....from "Grace & Danger"

16. I wonder if you could play it loud enough that I could hear it down the 401 over all of the Memorial Cup celebrations! ;)

17. Just listened to it, and enjoyed it immensely. Thank you!

18. lemonade kid

This penned by John & Bev is a fave..

And her Primrose Hill is a very fine tune...
    John and Beverley Martyn ‎"Primrose Hill''

[​IMG]

and if you have never heard Bev's recent work, do so now! A song that was written by Bev AND good friend Nick Drake (a long long time ago, but not completed until recently by Bev)! Produced by Marc J Pavey, and great singer-songwriter himself.
    Reckless Jane; Beverley Martyn & Nick Drake

[​IMG]

MARK PAVEY (Marc L Pavey)..."Waking Up"
    Mark Pavey "Waking Up"

[​IMG]

PhilBorder likes this.
  19. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

I saw John in the mid seventies at the Sydney Town Hall with Bert Jansch as the opening act , I still remember paying $6.00 for the ticket. Apparently Bert and he brawled throughout the tour.
    I love all the regular stuff, still have my original vinyl, which I play regularly and miss him greatly.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i love the album grace and danger and the song may you never is a beautiful classic

21. lemonade kid

Lucky you to have seen those two those legends, Bert & John (it sounds like they didn't "play" well together). Bert & John....A twist on Bert's great pairing with Renbourn. Still have my treasured vinyl of all.

The Sage and Gasman1003 like this.
  22. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

It seems he and Jansch bickered somewhat, I think Jansch never forgave JM for "stealing" Beverley, and more importantly Danny Thompson.

Here's an account of a 70s Australian tour:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's from this wonderful book:

[​IMG]

23. The Sage

The Sage La equidna pincho mi bebida

Wonderful memories mate - thanks so much.

Subvet and Gasman1003 like this.
  24. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

My pleasure, I first saw him in 1980, and my life changed, for the better.

Gordon Johnson and The Sage like this.
  25. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I'm reading Electric Eden at the moment, John Martyn comes over as the bad boy of folk with his behavior and guitar effects being the main culprits. A bit of fresh air compared with the scholarly folkies.

The Sage and Gordon Johnson like this.