Any appreciation for John Martyn?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blackdograilroad, Jun 23, 2014.

1. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident Thread Starter

+ another 1 :o)

Nick Dunning likes this.
  2. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Yeah, I'd like to know that too.

I really only listen to records these days, so have resisted the temptation, so far!

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"Johnny Too Bad" made me buy Grace and Danger.

4. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't blame you- I love that guitar.

5. Gasman1003

Yep, fantastic - the whole album is, IMHO

6. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Under appreciated (or even acknowledged) on this side of the pond.

Love his playing with Danny Thompson.

I have looked for a vinyl UK pressing of Bless the Weather for years without success.

Some day!

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

IMO it's the best JM compilation out there and gives a decent overview of the best period of his career, well worth picking up, especially as you can get a used copy for peanuts.

footlooseman and Gasman1003 like this.
  8. Gasman1003

This is on ebay (UK) at the moment - ends tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Mart...51139638476?pt=UK_Records&hash=item51c18daccc

Not sure of postage to Canada

Thinking of bidding myself, but I have a really nice later copy and she'd kill me if she found out!!

It's a 1st pres, though.

Good Hunting

9. Gasman1003

Thanks.

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Great album. I remember a long time ago he played a slew of concerts (I think) at a small bar/club named "The Edge". It was originally called "Egerton's" Toronto, ON, after the man who Ryerson University (now) is named after.

11. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

One of the artists I saw a few times from way back in the 70's thru' to his last tour.
    One of the few artists that whatever album [any format] that i play at home I simply get lost in his music.

13. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

One of the true greats and sadly missed.

I loved his music in the late 60's and early 70's, rediscovered him in the 90's with Glasgow Walker and saw him on tour at least twice every year thereafter.

A unique and talented artist but unfortunately suffered from his alcoholism i fear.

Richard

Gasman1003 likes this.
  14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Stormbringer is one of my all-time favourite albums, and possibly the best collection of songs Martyn ever assembled (which puts it leagues ahead of Road to Ruin, in my opinion). A great sounding album too, very spacious, as you note. If you've ever wished Richard and Linda Thompson had recorded one more classic, this is definitely for you.

And it's not a great album, but 'The Gardeners' from The Tumbler is a genuinely chilling piece of music (partly the song itself, but largely that demented flute). It's about the only pop song I can think of that could be adapted into a horror movie.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  15. Summer of Malcontent

One of the best box sets I own. Really intelligently compiled so that it supplements rather than replaces most of the already released deluxe sets, crammed with superb unreleased material, and the book is absolutely superb (not something you often get to say about a box set.)

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Glad to see RTR getting any respect here. It's a profound and creative statement. And while I think think it's a few kilometers ahead of Stormbringer, I will admit Stormbringer has one of the all time great album covers.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  17. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

'The Tumbler' does have the very funky 'Dusty' on it, which works extremely well as track one of any home-made John Martyn best of compilation, and the beautiful 'Fly On Home'. Innocence personified.

18. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

That's an interesting thought about 'Stormbringer' The album does finish with the pretty well magnificent 'Would You Believe Me' (a truly impassioned song with the first use of the Echoplex) - and the title track, with strings, is superb - but the other songs are weaker (but I still love 'em).

19. Summer of Malcontent

Well, from my perspective, there are half a dozen absolutely top notch songs (two by Beverley):
    'Go Out and Get It', 'Can't Get the One I Want', 'Stormbringer', 'Sweet Honesty' (yes, it's long, but I find its sparseness quite hypnotic), 'John the Baptist', 'Would You Believe Me?'
    And of the remainder, 'Woodstock' and 'Traffic Light Lady' are sweet but slight, and 'The Ocean' is nice enough and appropriately brooding. 'Tomorrow Time' is the only weak track.

The Road to Ruin, on the other hand, sounds like a great album, but the songs aren't anywhere near as strong. I like 'Give Us a Ring' and 'Say What You Can', and 'Sorry to Be So Long' a little less, and of the rest the only ones I can remember off the top of my head are 'Primrose Hill' and 'Auntie Aviator'. And I bought this album well before I got Stormbringer!

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Not a huge fan, but the Sweet Little Mysteries 2 disc set is a great starting point for anyone wishing to dip their toes in the water that is John's catalog. That set suits me perfectly...sent to me by Bill Levenson years ago.

21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Saw him several times in the early/mid 80's but lost touch a bit when he went off on the fusion stuff. Reconnected for the last tour. He was good but I thought he was struggling. Distressed at his death. Still play his stuff often. A great much missed talent.

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

This thread is my intoduction to him. Judging from the videos posted, I like his guitar playing but hate the singing. A lot like Leo Kottke in that respect although a completely different guitar player. Are any of his albums mostly instrumental?

23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Well, his early albums are a bit more " conventional" vocally. I don't think there are any entirely instrumental but the later albums have a tendency to have longer instrumental stuff. Chances are his " style" will grow the more you listen.

24. PaulFJ

PaulFJ Forum Resident

Saw him at Birmingham (UK) University in or around 1972. Main recollection is that during the interval, he was asked to moderate his on-stage language which, of course, had the opposite effect! Have Solid Air, Stormbringer and a couple of CD singles including Angeline which was one of the very first CD single issued in the UK (I think!).

25. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

[​IMG]

John Martyn - and. - (Go! Discs 1996) // UK

this is my favorite LP of Martyn's post-Grace and Danger. Glasgow Walker is also stellar but was never pressed to vinyl.