Any Brian Jones love here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Walking Dead...and that too!

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Grateful, post. :)

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...good one.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Funny that, even in the 60s he came across as the soppiest one. Smiling away while the others looked tough and menacing.
    Keith was and always will be the Stones bad boy, not cuddly Brian.

For you but that title goes to Dylan, Hendrix, Lennon and McCartney well before Jones (who penned practically nothing!).

I never found them "terrifying" at all. Just a great rock 'n' roll band all the way.
    Beggar's was Mick and Keith's album, just like all the others (apart from the very early ones - full of covers). For Beggar's they had to force contributions from the disinterested Jones. Mick Taylor's contributions brought just as much to the Stones as Jones did, no, more in fact - all those fantastic solos which Jones could never have achieved.

5. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

This is a bit like saying Jagger's crap because he's not much good on the guitar. Songwriting wasn't Jones's talent, and he was more a feel player than a technical virtuoso. Two that immediately come to mind are the mellotron on 2000 Light Years and the slide on No Expectations- neither are dazzlingly proficient parts but it's what they add in atmosphere and mood. Jones has been described as a musical colorist- that was his gift.

I'm perfectly prepared to believe that Jones could be a monumental pain in the a** and brought a lot of his misfortune on himself. But I don't ever feel that sense of magic on the post-Brian records.

One man's opinion. No less, no more.

Dave Hoos, RogerB, lobo and 5 others like this.
  6. Respect And Admiration as always. my mom and her friends just loved him

peter likes this.
  7. peter

peter Senior Member

Re post 336 - you nailed it. I have nothing to add. Beggars is my favourite Stones album and has been for a long time.

sekaer and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

The proof is in the grooves.

beccabear67 likes this.
  9. alexpop

Acknowledged.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Exactly. I do feel such faaaantatstic magic on the post Jones records and on some post Taylor records. The greatness of the Stones has always been about Jagger, Richards & Co.

11. tages

tages Senior Member

Again, what I meant (and possibly didn’t explain too well) is that Brian provided the “spooky” bits and interesting instrument choices that add an extra layer to the Stones’ music. He wasn’t the guitarist Mick Taylor is and that’s the point. He was something else. There’s an edge to him that to me is fascinating/terrifying. He wasn’t a songwriter but he embodied the spirit of the Stones like no other, in my opinion.

And I love all eras of the Stones!

RogerB, ssmith3046 and xilef regnu like this.
  12. tages

tages Senior Member

Sorry, don’t know what happened there. Some of my replies got added to your quote! I “bold”ed them.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well yes, he provided some lovely touches to the songs but I just don't share your fascination or terror.

In retrospect it makes him seem like more of a bad boy but not in a good way. It's more off-putting than anything. He was a jerk, a big-head and a lead weight for the dynamisme of the Stones by 1968.
    Anyway, all that bad behaviour was totally unknown to the public at the time and for a long time after his passing, so that contributed nothing at all to the coy image he had in the 60s.

Like no one else? It sounds more like you are describing Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix if you are talking about instrumentation. Brian could coax a nice little melody out of many different instruments and that saved money for the band but he hardly doing anything jaw-dropping with those instruments. Nice cosmetic touches but that's about it. Jones played like a little talented child compared to the unparalleled instrumental abilities of someone like Hendrix.

Umbari likes this.
  14. alexpop

And with the theme of the thread title ❤️
    I let his contributions speak for themselves.

15. blackdograilroad

.....and you started that post so well....... :) The greatness of the 60s Stones, the innovative band snapping at the Beatles' heels, was, for me anyway, just as much about Jones....without him It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.........

......but hey......difference is what makes the world go round.......

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    sekaer likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't agree there. Mick and Keith wrote all the songs I'm afraid and that is what matters. Also I don't feel that their period of trying to be like The Beatles suited them at all. Their return to blues and rock 'n' roll was a triumph but Jones wasn't into that at all.:rolleyes:

17. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Hendrix liked him, that must count for something for a big Jimi fan like you.

18. blackdograilroad

Is it not generally accepted that (for one) Ruby Tuesday was written by Richards and Jones, whatever the credits claim?

.....so Townshend wrote all the Who songs and that's all that matters?

Wyman and Mick Taylor have separately claimed that they made significant compositional contributions to Stones songs but weren't co-credited........so quite who wrote what isn't as clear-cut as it may appear....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  19. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Who’s he?

20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I'm sure any admiration he had for him was long gone, after the session for "All Along the Watchtower".
    Thank goodness they didn't allow him to ruin that recording. He really was just dead-weight.

"Brian Jones stumbled into Electric Lady Studios,” Kramer told Esquire. “Out of his mind, and started to play piano on ‘All Along the Watchtower.’ Jimi looked at me. The look was, ‘Can we get him to stop?’ Jimi was so polite, never wanted to hurt anybody. But he was in the middle of a session and Brian wasn’t doing well.”

Not wanting to cause a scene, Kramer quickly came up with a way to get Jones out of the studio. “So I said, ‘Brian, come into the control room and listen to what we’ve done,’ Kramer continued. “He staggered into the control room and fell, right in front of the console. Then he fell asleep. And we finished the track."

Read More: When Brian Jones Crashed Jimi Hendrix’s Recording Session: ‘Can We Get Him To Stop?’ | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-jones-jimi-hendrix/?trackback=tsmclip

21. alexpop

Check your profile. :)

22. vinyldreams

^^

The piano was a disaster but he did end up playing percussion on AATW

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

What was the percussion...the sound of his head hitting the recording console?

Umbari and Dudley Morris like this.
  24. vinyldreams

haha
    That’s him playing the thwack you hear at the end of each bar in the intro, on an instrument called a vibraslap.

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I know...just Beng a wise-a$$.

All Along the Watchtower - Wikipedia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.