Any children's film buffs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dezz, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dezz

dezz Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I was a very small child, I saw a film on TV that still remains one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. At least, I think I did. It was so long ago (late 60's?) and I remember so little about it, I sometimes wonder if it wasn't just a particularly vivid odd dream that's stuck with me for some reason.

Literally all I remember is a small boy falling asleep during his piano lesson, murmuring "practice makes perfect.." as he nods off. Beyond that is only the image of a piano keyboard stretching away into the distance, and a boy's cap with a little plastic propeller on top of it.

Did I imagine all this, or does it sound in any way familiar to anyone? I was having piano lessons at the time..

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It sounds a bit like the movie "The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T.", a movie written by Dr. Suess.

Here's the trailer:

dezz likes this.
  3. dezz

That's gotta be it!! After all, how many mad trippy kids films have 500-player pianos in them? Dr. Seuss - explains everything.

Thank you SO much - off to eBay...

4. dezz

..and back again. Found on eBay for £2.98! Looking forward to seeing this again 50ish years later, though still not quite sure why. Thank you again.

JamieC likes this.
  5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I got this in a set of Stanley Kramer films a few years ago. Along with Guess Who's Coming To Dinner two of my favorites. First time I found it on DVD.
    Of course its weird, its live action Dr Suess! Smoke it if you got it. Musicians will have a real(and sometimes physical) reaction to this film.

dezz likes this.
  7. dezz

it definitely wasn't Thomas The Tank Engine - but thanks for the pic :)

8. dezz

Sounds like I'm in for a treat! I wonder if there's some famous album it secretly synches up to...?

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

a wonderful film, be it for a child or adult

Morton LaBongo, SandAndGlass and dezz like this.
  10. dezz

That one I do remember watching, thank you for posting this - definitely a summer holiday special along with Tintin, Robinson Crusoe, and what I think was called White Horses.. I should go digging on YouTube really..

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There's a weekly horror movie program in America called and hosted by Svengoolie, and it's shown The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T a couple of times recently. Very interesting movie.
    [​IMG]

Alan G. and dezz like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

White Mane
    (1953)

dezz likes this.
  13. dezz

yikes! He's slightly alarming... getting more intrigued by this film by the moment. Even though I remember so little of it, the residual memories and feelings are all slightly unsettling, like waking up from a bad dream. Which I guess is what this film is - the little boy's bad dream. Can't wait now.

beccabear67 likes this.
  14. beccabear67

This thread is reminding me of the old 'Singing Ringing Tree' film that haunted a generation of UK tv viewers! I was half expecting it might be the answer here too. Turned out that was some Eastern European production dubbed into English a bit like the later Magic Roundabout.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    GeoffC and dezz like this.
  15. dezz

Wow thank you that was quite beautiful to watch... but not what I was thinking of. I'll find it one day...

16. beccabear67

Maybe The Moon Stallion with Sarah Sutton? It was run in parts in the middle '70s on BBC...
    [​IMG]

dezz likes this.
  17. dezz

no....

18. dezz

I found the theme song!!

longdist01 and beccabear67 like this.
  19. dezz

That was equally bizarre and disturbing... and that's before we even board The Magic Roundabout..

20. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I would say that probably half the films I own on disc are children's films/series or animation. Some of these I remember, like The Red Balloon, which was shown to my first communion class for some reason.

Like the OP described, there are some children's films that I can remember too that I have found no trace of even with multiple internet searches over 15 years. There are some thing I know for certain that I saw:

1.) A (probably 1970s) kids' movie where a brother and sister are kidnapped at a park of some kind from their parents RV. Another group of kids enlists the aid of a biker gang and they climb on the backs of the motorcycles with the bikers to rescue their friends. This was very unusual at the time because bikers were commonly seen as the bad guys any time they appeared in a movie.
    2.) A part-live-action/part-animation movie with a lot of folk music, also 1970s-era. Some guy has a machine that is going to shoot something into the air and make a rainbow appear. Very strange animation style, like a cheapo version of Twice Upon A Time.

I "know" for a fact I saw both of these movies on UHF or local channels circa 1981-83, but either I imagined that, or these movies were independent local productions that were never widely released. I know that back in the day some channels would show student films or amateur films made locally, but these were typical 90-minute or so feature movies. Eh, who knows. I'll keep looking.

dezz likes this.
  21. The best were the ones narrated by George Carlin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.