Any Cocteau Twins fans out there ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve B, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

One of my favourite bands when I was a student in the 80s. I bought all the vinyl (except Garlands on cassette) including the brilliant 12" 45s. I saw them just the once, on the FCC tour at Brixton Academy. I still dig out their records from time to time and they still sound like nothing on earth. My favourite lp is Treasure and my favourite 45 is Sunburst and Snowblind. My favourite track is Hitherto from SAD and my favourite Lizard Frazer performance is Song to the Siren. Bliss.

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

How are the new reissues of blue bell and Las Vegas? They appear to be hi Rez and available on vinyl.

My entryway drug on this band was blue bell knoll then Victorialand, I've got lots of their collection on 4AD CDs and a few vinyl records. Don't play them much as the band is somewhat mood music but there is no equal to their sound, many have been influenced but they will never be equaled.

3. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

They did an excellent job with the hi-res remasters of BBK and HoLV. These are new transfers and are not based on the Guthrie remasters. I've heard the vinyl is excellent sounding as well. Unfortunately, the reports are that they didn't do such a good job with the recent Pink Opaque and Tiny Dynamine/Echos remasters. There is a thread on these remasters so you can get more details there.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  4. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

I finally got a hold of a copy of this 7" and created my own needle drop of the whole thing. Worth a listen for the upgrade on the previous circulating needle drops of the alternate 'Ivo' uploaded to YouTube!
    Enjoy!

Front 242 Addict, jimhb and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Most excellent! Nice job man :)

bleachershane likes this.
  6. bleachershane

Glad you enjoyed it! If I had a better turntable, it would be even better! :D

7. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Hi all. I recently went on a Binge of the twins and sought out all the original CD releases. They all sound much better than the remasters, which I thought where initially ok. They're still relatively cheap and much more dynamic (surprise!)

8. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

It's a great little EP! The Red Tape with the alternate Pitch The Baby is excellent as well.

9. bleachershane

I've been thoroughly enjoying the whole disc, rather than just the Cocteau's track! What's this Red Tape one?

10. c-eling

Interesting, the links still work :)
    cocteau twins | media | audio »

jamesc likes this.
  11. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I recently posted this in another Cocteau thread but this song blew me away when I was a teenager in the 80's. My brother had this clip taped on VHS video.

12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I still follow the members' post-Cocteau careers. An incredible group

Front 242 Addict and jamesc like this.
  13. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

It's probably my favorite magazine giveaways! I love that dub mix of U2's Wire and the Bronski Beat track is very cool too. I can't remember the fourth track though...

14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I wish they'd release a CD of those tracks. Seems like they've been around since the dawn of the internet in that low quality format. The actual tape sounds very good.

JeffMo, bleachershane and c-eling like this.
  15. bleachershane

Thirty one years later it's had the desired effect on me, hadn't heard much Bronski Beat and really liked "Hard Rain" so have tracked down the deluxe "Age of Consent". Always liked "Wire" and I thought the dub version was pretty good, and the live Smiths track was also great... Wish magazines gave away freebies like this these days!

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ah right, live Smiths track. I always thought Age of Consent was a very solid album and recently picked up the deluxe edition as well.

17. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Saw them twice, mid 80's.
    The 1st time was spellbinding...if they hadn't rewound the drum tape and got the sax player from Dif Juz out of the pub (they didn't really do encores) there would have been a riot.
    Saw Liz's solo show several years ago, which was sadly not great, for many reasons.

Loved them to pieces since being 100% totally blown away by their appearance on The Tube (Jools Holland & Paula Yates) one Friday nite in the early 80's.
    They're on the hifi now and the phrase.... "plowed their own furrow" springs to mind.
    There's no one like them.
    That and Liz actually having the voice of god.

Simon Raymonde has a very successful record label, Bella Union.
    Bit like 4AD, there's not a duff band on there really.

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I haven't heard BBK, but I thought they did a bad job with Heaven or Las Vegas, at least with the vinyl. Something went horribly amiss with "Iceblink Luck" and it sounds like a cheap, damaged cassette being played with the Dolby turned on - very muffled and fluttery. It's totally glaring. This was discussed in another thread here specifically on the BBK and HoLV vinyl reissues. The LP I heard also had kind of a lot of surface noise, and the two songs immediately after "Iceblink Luck" sounded slightly off somehow. So to me this seemed like a missed opportunity. I haven't bothered with any of the other vinyl reissues. I'm kind of afraid to based on reports about them here!

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

Simon's Snowbird, great album :)

Buddys Dad and factory44 like this.
  20. c-eling

Blue Bell's not bad, the nice thing about those two re-issues, they weren't remastered, but yes something went wrong with parts of Heaven, could be as simple as the master's were damaged as they contain two alt end's on two tracks, I skipped the rest as they were compression maxed... And I'm perfectly happy with my old compact disc editions

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  21. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Love them. Have all the original CDs. Had most of the original LPs but when I went to CD was fortunate to obtain the CD first issues.

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

I'm thinking they may have used Wally's US Lp mastering for the US compact disc editions of Blue and Heaven, they sound pretty much identical and would make sense as they were released simultaneously, Heaven sounds a tad more relaxed/warmer but it may be due to my set up, both are nice in their own right

23. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

The vinyl reissue of Heaven Or Las Vegas would easily be the worst reissue I've bought, to my ears. Fortunately I'm old enough to have bought much of the Cocteau's input on vinyl back in the day or at least the CD equivalent. My humble advice if acquiring any of it is to grab the originals wherever possible. And this is not necessarily something I'd suggest for any or every band.

Pavol Stromcek and c-eling like this.
  24. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yeah, my original Cocteau Twins LPs and CDs sound great, for the most part. The old LPs are fairly difficult to locate (at least in the US), but those CDs seem to be pretty easy to find.

c-eling likes this.
  25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Any other suggestions from the Bella Union label? I think I only have Guthrie and Violet Indiana releases but will have to pick up the Simon album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.