Any Cocteau Twins fans out there ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve B, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

And strangely but wonderfully, Bella Union have reissued several Van Dyke Parks albums.

2. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Yes, The Stars of St Andrea album by The Devics is astonishingly beautiful. The tracks 'All Your Beautiful Trees', 'The End and the Beginning', 'My True Love' and 'In Your Room' in particular.

Simon Raymonde was gushing about this album on its release in 2003 and rightly so..... (this delicate beauty kept me sane through a messy divorce at the time)

jamesc likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Over here too at least in the wild. Discogs has plenty of copies of the early stuff but Cocteau Twins are a band you (or at least I;)) don't buy on Discogs. You discover them while browsing.

Last Saturday I lucked out and found a near mint original "Head Over Heels" for 5€. Now I only need "Blue Bell Knoll" and a couple of eps and I'm done here:righton:

jamesc likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Apart from some Robin stuff, that's all I have James, Snowbird was the greatest deal in vinyl history, I think I paid 20 bucks, two lp's and it came with 2 cd's, I need to re-investigate their catalog, November's going to be expensive, New Covenant and Rotersand so Bella may be put on hold

5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Wow, that's a great deal! Will be on the lookout for the suggestions that have been made.

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

Haunting, grab it, Amazon still has it via prime, excellent packaging :)

RevUp64, Front 242 Addict and jamesc like this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...AND, I think, a few of The Flaming Lips albums are on it, too!

willy likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I see the last two albums are being reissued on vinyl for Record Store Day as 2 LP sets.

I'm not familiar with the EPs which provide the bonus tracks for these albums. Is that all of the non-album tracks or are some not included?

Record Store Day 2017 Releases To Pine Over | uDiscover

Milk And Kisses (2LP – Milk Vinyl)
    Bonus vinyl disc includes in-era related tracks from the ‘Tishbite’ and ‘Violaine’ E.P.’s (4 tracks).

Four Calendar Café (2LP – Midnight Blue Vinyl)
    Bonus vinyl disc includes in-era related tracks from the ‘Evangeline’ and ‘Bluebird’ E.P.s (7 tracks)

9. c-eling

8 b-sides for Milk and Kisses found on the 4 single sets
    Primitive Heart, Flock of Soul, Round, An Elan, Smile, Tranquil Eye, Circling Girl, Alice
    5 for Four, they may be adding the Snow EP
    Three-Swept, Ice-Pulse, Bluebeard (Acoustic), Mud and Dark, Summerblink, Frosty The Snowman, Winter Wonderland, Need Fire (Judge Dredd)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    jamesc and BeardedSteven like this.
  10. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

If Milk & Kisses only has 4 bonus tracks it looks like it's just the regular b-sides, but not the remixes or acoustic versions that are found on Lullabies to Violane. 7 for 4 Calendar would mean they're adding Frosty and Winter Wonderland?

11. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

would love those RSD sets coming out, but I have a feeling they will not be affordable given the nature of the release. Hopefully I can find someone willing to pick these up and swap for a US release they couldn't get, but I won't hold my breath these will be sought after.

12. BeardedSteven

Hopefully they aren't limited to something stupid like 500 copies. I picked up on eBay Slowdive's Blue Day I think 2 years ago from the UK list for just a couple bucks more than list. I'm hoping these will be available for something similar...

c-eling likes this.
  13. NapalmBrain

I did the same, but Blue Day is less sought after. Originals of both of these are $200+, add in colored vinyl, bonus tracks and a RSD release and seems like a perfect storm for high second hand prices. Really hope I'm wrong

BeardedSteven likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

I'm sure Universal is aware there is a demand for these, so it's possible there will be "regular" black vinyl releases afterwards.

15. NapalmBrain

I know it's a different label but they said that about the Lush boxset and here we are with no individual reissues nearly a year later

16. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

I collected all the singles and eps last year. Wonderful music and beautiful objects.

c-eling likes this.
  17. BeardedSteven

18. c-eling

Looks like Simon will be receiving a few next week. It will be interesting to read what he thinks of them. He thinks they are probably digitally sourced

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

So the RSD Cocteau Twins' releases only show up in the UK (and not in the US).

20. pghmusiclover

Yup, that's correct.

21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Well, there goes that opportunity. The only RSD release even moderately interesting to me will be on ePay for $200.00

c-eling likes this.
  22. pghmusiclover

It comes with the territory of signing with a major label I guess... while I wish Universal had included them in the loop, maybe they felt the Twins would never come to an agreement, and decided to move forward with the release without their input.

I know they weren't happy with the Vinyl 180 releases of their 4AD albums either, but I thought they were nicely done.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  23. c-eling

Same here. Wanted them strictly for the packaging only. Prices will not justify something I'd probably never spin...

24. pghmusiclover

There's nothing on the RSD list to indicate a quantity of these, so it's possible that they will be available after RSD -- maybe not in coloured vinyl, and possibly not with the bonus LP, but hopefully available at a reasonable cost.

25. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

It's times like this I wish I was into vinyl.

vince likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.