Any Cocteau Twins fans out there ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve B, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

really? I have HOLV? and Bluebell Knoll and think they sound great

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I don't think those were Vinyl 180 releases. It was for the first albums and EPs (which are now out-of-print):

Cocteau Twins

3. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

oh didn't realize vinyl 180 was the name of a label, I have originals of all those already

4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I think I paid a fiver for my Fontana Four Calendar Café in a bargain bin not long after it came out, I didn't realise it was going for so much now!!

c-eling likes this.
  5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Two downsides to me:

1. I don't need the bonus tracks, I would be prefer the full album on 2 vinyl, those albums are around 42min long, sadly I don't have the originals due the high price.
    2. Color on vinyl, God... every single new vinyl on this days have color, why! I really DON'T like color on vinyl, I prefer the standard black (yeah yeah black is a color on vinyl too but you understand me) for some reasons.

we'll see how good sounds this reissues, Milk & Kisses is one of my fav albums ever.

c-eling likes this.
  6. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Beautiful music, love 'em.
    Forget the stand alone albums, (no actually don't :D ) you must own The Pink Opaque and Lullabies to Violaine (four CD boxset) which the original is no longer available now?
    Their 'B-sides' (the two above) have some of their best work. You could buy them as single Ep's.
    Great 'B-side' : -

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I wouldn't recommend L to V, maybe only for the 4 disc package, it is beautiful but unfortunately the sound quality has been compromised. Twins EP's, the old singles box set etc can still be had at affordable prices I believe and sound nice, well for Twins standards...

Pop_Zeus and rogermcnally like this.
  8. c-eling

How's it sound Jim? I was doing some research a few years ago and I was told not to waste my money on it from a member here. The old US compact disc sounds nice as is and I didn't want to piss my money away on a sideways or less move so I never followed up

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

To be honest its years since I played it, I'd have to dig it out and give it a spin again.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Cocteaus... one of the redeeming features of the 80's - love 'em...

11. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

I was lucky to find an original Lullabies' - have no idea what the current two disc is like. Probably not much going by the album remasters. :(
    Regarding the albums, I always liked Bluebell' and Heaven' most.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    c-eling likes this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm sure, one day, there'll be a nice big complete set!
    That 4-Disc set (LTV): I haven't pulled ours out in ages,
    did they always have the 'fury' cover to it, or did it change after a time?

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

Velvety :D, One run Vince

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The Lullabies To Violaine 4 cd set is great for the convenience and extra tracks.
    And that strange, "pleathure" animal skin-like packaging.
    But yeah, the sound is not as good on my system as the original singles cd's in the beautiful non-remastered Box Set. The individual cd singles from that box set can be found and purchased easily.

I haven't heard the Vinyl 180 Cocteau reissues, but Vinyl 180 did confirm to me, with regret, that they used the Robin Guthrie remasters for their pressings. That made it an easy decision to not buy them. I was grateful for their honesty. At least they have some integrity.

Gavaxeman and c-eling like this.
  15. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

I always said to one of my mates who is a musician (he recommended me to listen to Cocteau twins) , that Siouxsie & the Banshees later stuff, especially Tinderbox, was Cocteau Twins on steroids.
    Anyone who likes Cocteau twins, give Tinderbox a listen.

16. c-eling

The Promo Sampler has a less compressed Aikea-Guinea (Alternate) than the one found on the LTV Comp

17. HiFi Guy 008

Tinderbox was the point in Siouxsie & The Banshees' turn to really hi-fidelity sound. It came out around the same time as the Cocteau's Victorialand - another really, really good sounding piece of vinyl - an lp at 45 rpm that I, and many others, played at 33 rpm for days before looking closely at the label, which was the only place you would see "45 rpm."

You made a good point aligning the two. The music is very different between the two. But there is something very similar about the overall feeling. Siouxsie at their lush yet uncompromising best. The vinyl is spectacular. The cd almost so. The remaster belongs in the Thames.

And the Guthrie remaster should have been left in CBGB's toilet.

Pop_Zeus and c-eling like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Incidentally the only record I accidentally bought twice and even almost a third time when I got back into this band.

But.... hey.... all that ethereal Vaughan Olivier artwork and titles like "Garlands"/ "Victorialands"? It can be confusing when you are not familiar with the albums.

The second time I bought it, I actually confused it with "Garlands", took it home and... errrrr. Thank God I knew the dealer and could simply return it. Then last year I found another copy in great shape but decided to check at home first. There it was!

Since then things got easier because I know that the Cocteau vinyl I'm missing is "Blue Bell Knoll". It is "Blue Bell Knoll", is it????

19. HiFi Guy 008

Yes. And if the gradings on discogs.com are to be believed, you can get a NM pressing for not too much money. Unlike a few years ago, when they were going for much more.

I accidentally (or maybe the seller was at fault) bought Tiny Dynamine a couple of times on ePay.

I should sell at least one of them here. Not hi-end sound, but fantastic, and better than the cd version.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I know. But CT is a band were I actually enjoy unexpectedly unearthing their records while browsing. And in "Blue Bell Knoll"s case I want the deluxe sleeve. And want to inspect it before buying:winkgrin:

21. HiFi Guy 008

The pressing with the original sleeve is easy to find. Just trust a seller with 100% feedback. Again, I recommend the US Capitol over the MPO UK. It's not more laid back, it's more sexy.

c-eling likes this.
  22. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I had to go and search the last time I posted in a Cocteau Twins thread. Most were back in 2005 - 12 years ago... back when I was a lot more active here.

I have all the albums, but didn't get Milk & Kisses until '05. I'm also missing some of the CD singles released around the time of the last two albums.

Got the original 4AD vinyl for everything (LPs and EPs, except for the Love's Easy Tears EP, which is the U.S. Relativity release) up to just before Blue Bell Knoll, which I have only on CD. I have the original 4AD releases on CD as they came out, again, up until Blue Bell Knoll, which is the Capital release.

I discovered them back in '84 when the local college radio station, KLSU, played this haunting song one night while I was doing an all-nighter on an architectural studio project. KLSU was famous for playing an hour or so of music without telling us what they played, especially during the late night and early morning hours. The next morning they played it again while I was driving to class and they actually said the name of the band, but not the song. Later, I browsed a local record store, and found several Cocteau Twins albums there. I didn't know the song, so I just picked one. It was the Head Over Heels album. The song wasn't on it, but I liked what I heard. Later, I went back and found The Spangle Maker EP, got home and played it, and there was the song - Pearly Dewdrops Drops. Then it was a matter of getting the back stuff, and getting the new stuff as it came out over the following years.

Favorite album is Head Over Heels, with Treasure a close second.

Favorite individual track is Rococo... 0.42 is all I can say.

23. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

Yes, saw them live in NYC.

24. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

I was a big fan of their Peel sessions and the hit singles but must admit that until this year, I had missed out on listening to their albums. Courtesy of a new friend who has everything by them, I'm pleased to be putting it right. The Cocteau Twins have influenced so many others and while listening it's curious to hear just how many steals there have been in subsequent artists' work. What they haven't had are imitators as such because the sound is so unique and the techniques used to get it probably very idiosyncratic. You will hear people putting a 'Cocteau' reverb on this or that voice or instrument but it never gets close to some quality of the real thing on their records and that's probably because the Cocteau sound is more than sonics. It's the interaction of 'poetries' in the musicians, the performances,the technical side of things and in the lyrics. Seminal body of work.

c-eling likes this.
  25. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

C-eling, are the EPs better sound quality \ different mastering to the original L to V Box'?
    Thanks, Dan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.