Any Cocteau Twins fans out there ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve B, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

2. SisterRay

SisterRay Forum Resident

I've been revisiting some artists with my new Sennheiser HD800 S, and it seems that UK vinyl is the way to go with Cocteau twins (or at least Treasure). After comparing the original UK CD and vinyl of the track "Lorelei" off Treasure, the vinyl wins by a longshot. For example, the ending cymbal crash sounds fluttery and distorted compared with the clean and nice decay sound of the vinyl. Bass frequencies sound more detailed too. Although the vinyl is a tad bright, the CD is too muddy.

jamesc likes this.
  3. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

Huge fan. I have all the original records but still missing three to complete their catalog. My favorite is Treasure. They had such a lovely sound that was sad yet happy. I always smile when i hear her voice through the dark forest they created in layers and layers of lush moody gloom.

4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Did you like Snowbird that much? I have the white vinyl, but it never 'got' me....

7. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I was a huge fan back in the '80s. I saw them around 1989, and their set was fraught with technical difficulties; the band got out-of-sync with the drum machine, Liz got out-of-sync with the others, I'm not sure what the hell happened. They still sounded good, though.

I don't care for anything after, say, Treasure; my favorite songs are on Tiny Dynamite and Echoes in a Shallow Bay. I still listen to them from time to time. Oh, and that extended mix of "Peppermint Pig" is a favorite.

c-eling likes this.
  8. c-eling

I did Felix, surprisingly. It's such an odd album

9. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Simon's usually up to his eyes in his Bella Union label, but obviously the muse strikes from time to time.
    Another vote for Snowbird from me.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yup! Heaven or Las Vegas, Four Calendar Cafe and Milk and Kisses are favourites.

Fotzepolitic is probably my favourite track.

blaken123, Steve B and SteveCooks like this.
  11. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Steve B and jamesc like this.
  12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Their cover of "Song to the Siren", gorgeous.

13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

14. It's Felix

Steve B and zakyfarms like this.
  15. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

If I remember correctly, the recent reissues of HOLV and BBK were from new hi-res transfers but the following two, Tiny Dynamine/Echos and The Pink Opaque reverted to the Robin Guthrie remasters. It sounds like these are going to be back to new hi-res transfers... hope so!

c-eling likes this.
  17. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

And it's about time! I've been wanting to replace (affordably) my worn out copy of Treasure for years.

I really hope they do these right. Of the vinyl reissues so far, I've only heard Heaven or Las Vegas, and I was really put off by the botched mastering of "Iceblink Luck" and a little too much surface noise.

BeardedSteven, Leaman and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

I'm bowing out on these James, Nice to see em done however for those looking to get them on this format. I skipped the last round because of the compression and find my old compact discs still enjoyable :)

jamesc likes this.
  19. Leaman

Leaman Has a foggy notion

The BBK reissue was a revelation. The HOLV reissue was a travesty. “Iceblink Luck” was a low point, but really the whole album sounds off, like it’s playing on a vintage 8-track tape.

I remember the HOLV preorders were delayed due to quality control issues. I often wonder if they didn’t fix the issues and just shipped the vinyl anyway.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  20. It's Felix

It says they are digital from analogue..... are the original 4ad expensive? I got most of mine mine on release day and then head over heels and victorialand mint from oxfam for £2.99 a few years ago. I didn’t bother picking up treasure that was sat there also 2.99. How daft was that?

jamesc likes this.
  21. Leaman

Leaman Has a foggy notion

Depends on what you think of as expensive. They generally go for more than £2.99 (what a deal!) but I consider the used prices pretty reasonable.

Looking at Discogs, perfectly good listening copies of most of their 4AD LPs are around $12 to $14. More minty copies are in the $25 to $30 range, with near-perfect specimens around $40. I don't think that's outrageous, all things considered (smaller label; cult act that didn't sell as much, leading to fewer copies on the used market).

22. Pavol Stromcek

At the moment on Discogs, NM copies of Treasure start at around $28, though most seem to be in the $40+ range. I suppose that's not totally outrageous, but it could be a lot of money to pay if the condition turns out to be worse than advertised, which is always a risk when buying vinyl online.

Also, I've only seen a couple of copies of Treasure on vinyl in my local shops over the past decade or so, and both were about $10 but completely trashed.

And I find that most Cocteau Twins LPs really need to be NM or close to it, because quieter passages really suffer with surface noise.

I just think Cocteau Twins had the kind of stature that justifies having their output available new on LP at about the $20 range. After all, in the grand scheme of things, they weren't that small or obscure, and nor was 4AD.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just like Dead Can Dance. But apparently there the new vinyl pressings are very good. With Cocteau Twins I was lucky with used vinyl.

Leaman and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  24. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Massive fan.

I’ve always thought how special it was such a beautiful phenomenon came from such a bleak industrial environment.

Grangemouth image link below.

Redirect Notice

25. Pavol Stromcek

I bought all their albums and EPs brand new back in the 80s and early 90s, but there were a few albums, like Treasure, which I stupidly wasn't as careful with as I could've been. For example, with Treasure, I wasn't so careful (back then as a teenager) when sliding the LP in and out of the stiff/thick paper stock inner sleeve, resulting in lots of little scratches that are bad enough to cause audible ticking on quieter songs and in between tracks. Nowadays that record would go straight into a poly-lined sleeve, but the 13-year-old me was not nearly so anal about stuff like that. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.