Any Danzig fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hermit, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976 Thread Starter

Just had a binge listen to the first four Danzig albums these past few days, for the first time in about 16 years... hoo boy, are they badass, some really great stuff there, say what you want about Glenn D., but the man could write a tune.

It's just a shame the original line-up of Danzig/John Christ/Eerie Von/Chuck Biscuits (probably the coolest name in all rock!) disintegrated after the hugely underrated Danzig 4 album, they really were a tight unit and were on one heck of a creative roll. I'm convinced had they remained intact for at least one more album and stayed on the musical path they were on instead of the act of musical self-immolation that was the borderline-unlistenable Blackaciddevil - and Glenn's embrace of the Loudness Wars that he still hasn't let go of apparently - they could have delivered a minor masterpiece, alas.

Still, we'll always have those first four albums.

Tjazz, MyOwnWorstEnemy and GodShifter like this.
  2. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Great band. Those first four albums were fantastic, especially III: How the Gods Kill. I remember seeing the 5K review in Kerrang way back in 1992 (I think), getting the album then seeing them at the Barrowlands in Glasgow on that tour. Amazing gig, very intense and pretty menacing. Haven't listened to them in years so plan to go and dig out one of the albums and give it a listen. Thanks for the reminder..!!

3. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the first album.

4. Nihil Sleighride

Nihil Sleighride Forum Resident

Those first 4 are great albums and the title track from 'How the Gods Kill' is one of my go to tracks when auditioning kit.

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Saw Danzig last night in New Jersey. Best I can tell, this was his 2nd US date. I am a big fan - been on board since the Misfit days and love the material up to and including 4P -but after that, it gets really dicey. Surprisingly, this was my first time seeing him and quite frankly, my feelings are mixed.

First off, the sound was absolutely horrid. For Corrosion Of Confomity's set, they sounded very good - so I know a decent mix was possible that night. For the first 2-3 songs, you could barely hear Glenn. He was constantly scowling and yelling at the monitor guy stage left. Vocally - he is to be commended for pulling off all those trademark yells but oddly enough, when he spoke his voice was a hoarse whisper, almost like he was battling laryngitis. The 2 new songs (especially "Devil On Highway 9") sounded way better live than their recorded counterparts. And the heavy dose of songs from How The Gods Kill were performed well.

But for me, the cringe factor is Tommy Victor. I know I am going to tick off some Prong fans so I will apologize in advance, but this guy is terrible. I thought the same of his playing on Danzig's albums, but seeing him in person sealed the deal. He is sloppy, his pitch is terrible - string bends are seldom up to the note. His guitar tone sounds like a chainsaw and his pinch harmonic abuse should be illegal. Danzig seems to love him - he has been co - conspirator for some time and he got more than a few shout outs and loving looks from "Evil Elvis!" himself last night :)

mdm08033, JJFlash and Todd W. like this.
  6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

How was Corrosion of Conformity? I am assuming that Pepper is still in the band? I bought their last one IX which he wasn't on. It wasn't too bad. I love the early stuff though. I like pretty much all of their stuff.....In the Arms, Blind, Deliverance, Wiseblood and America's Volume Dealer.

As for Danzig, I listened to the self-titled the other day. As has been mentioned, I love the first four. I can't really say I was a fan of the Misfits. But I certainly like Danzig.

7. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Brenald79 and johnny q like this.
  8. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Have you listened to any Samhain?

9. JJFlash

JJFlash Forum Resident

Love Danzig. Couldn't agree more with the Tommy Victor comment.

johnny q likes this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm not a crazy fan, but Mother is a great song.

11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

The first four albums are great (I especially love the sparse sound of the debut album). After that, their stuff gets spotty - some good songs, but not a fan of some of the production.

Loved the Misfits and Samhain years ago, but haven't listened to them in a long while.

kannibal and rnranimal like this.
  12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

They were fantastic. Pepper Keenan I believe has been back in the band since 2014. He was standing outside by the concession stands after the show, just hanging and talking with fans. I thought COC had the best mix and sound quality of every band on the bill last night - Danzig included. For the first 2 songs, you couldn't even hear Glenn singing. The scowling and threatening gestures towards the sound guy........ was classic Danzig! :)

JQ

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Was there any word on when new COC album comes out?

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

No.

15. tak_a_tak

tak_a_tak Active Member

Big Danzig fan here! I just listened to the first 3 albums the other day while doing yard work. Also dig into the Misfits on a regular basis.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm a fan. I haven't liked the last two releases much and I hate Tommy Victor's guitar tone, but I have all his albums. I have the Samhain stuff, too. Never cared for the Misfits at all.

17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I had his first single, Who Killed Marilyn? - paid $4 years ago at a Tower Records in Mountain View, it was underneath all these singles, the original issue - and later had his first solo album after Samhain. "Mother" was okay....

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Sorry - no idea. I am not really a huge fan so I am a bit disconnected from what they are up to. However, I do recall reading an article back in July that they were just finishing up tracking for the new album.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Somehow, I was under the impression that COC had put out a new album with Pepper Keenan but that doesn't appear to be the case. I also thought he had quit Down but that doesn't appear to the case, either. Hm.

20. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Anybody who likes the first four Danzig albums should check out Lost Tracks (if you haven't already).

JJFlash, tak_a_tak and johnny q like this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

A new album with Pepper was recorded and was mixed in Canada with Mike Fraser. It will be on Nuclear Blast. No release date thought. Hopefully with Mike Fraser it will be a good sounding album. The guitar tone on the new Danzig gives me a headache sometimes.

22. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Probably only when you listen to it. ;)

GodShifter likes this.
  23. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I'll jump on board with the first four (though I hung around for and still have a bit of time for Blackacidevil). The second is perhaps my favorite one though (at least at this point in time).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  24. sATURN III

sATURN III New Member

Be great to get Danzig's first albums re-released on vinyl

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah - that would be great if done right of course. I think Lucifuge in particular is hard to find with lot's or counterfeit/pirate copies floating around. I have an original US of the 1st album and that is a great sounding slab-0-vinyl.

sATURN III likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.