Any experience with Elac budget subwoofers or other $150 or less sub's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim S, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm focusing mostly on Elac because of their reputation - and I can get a good price and free shipping from amazon. I'm open to others. My budget is tight, and this is most likely the last significant addition to my system.
    thoughts?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No experience with Elac subs.

The cheap subs I've heard are nasty to the point that I'd rather do without one that have a cheap one. Unfortunately nice subs are rather expensive (REL and so on) and it's not a system priority for me so I just do without one. If I need ultra low bass for certain types of music (e.g. dark ambient drones) I'll put on a pair of headphones.

3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Buy used. I just picked up a 12" Klipsch sub for $100 for my family room system (2.1).

4. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

As well as some very potent subs (Velodyne, SVS, B&W) for use in my home theatres, I have four (4) older Yamaha YST subs in use around the house.

I use the YST-SW160, YST-SW80, and two YST-SW105. I bought the YST-SW80 new; the rest used.

They, and many of their sibling models, can easily be found (in pretty significant numbers) for sale in any city at any time, for $100 or less. (For example I see a YST-SW100 listed for $50C in Stratford, Ontario right now.)

I recommend them simply because they work very well, for very little cost (used), for quite a number of applications.

For example, the smallest of the ones I own, the YST-105 are used i) in a garage-based system where it sits up in the rafters, powered and ready to go all year long, when I want some tunes when working on a car etc. and ii) to add some lower end oomph in a stereo system / flat screen set-up in front of my stationary bike.

Jeff

5. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I bought a pair of 15" Dayton subs on Amazon for $200 each to use in my multichannel room.
    I also own and use a pair of 15" Velodynes in another room.
    I also own and use a pair of M&K subs (they invented subs).
    I also own and use a pair of SVS subs in another room.
    I also own and play a Gibson SG Bass Supreme.
    I also own and play a Jack Cassidy bass guitar.
    I also own and use a pair of 15" JBL bass guitar speakers.
    I also own and use a pair of Seismic Audio 15" subs that can be for playing large venues on my bass or as bass bins with my PA system.
    The Dayton sub at $200 is not at all junky.
    What's important is that it has crossover and phase control which helps with setup and integration with your existing speakers.
    And the bass it puts out is pretty darn musical.
    Highly recommended.
    For $200.
    As a highly trained bass professional I know bass and I heartily endorse this promo...
    Just my two cents.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have a Paradigm PDR100 that I feel is a great sub for the price. Selling mine for $100+ shipping. PM if interested.

Tim S and The Pinhead like this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have the Polk PSW10 in my office system. It works. I needed to connect a Sub without the benefit of a variable output on my amp. This worked for me.

9. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Tim S likes this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Which model exactly? The low priced ones are 8" bandpass, 2 strikes against them in my book:
    - An 8" cone is not big enough to really move enough bass air.
    - Bandpass designs tend towards boominess.
    Those two strikes are generalizations, it doesn't mean those models may not add nice bass. But I'd sooner do a Parts Express or such. Or used if not too old. If you can pop up to $200 it might get you more power and bass. Like this semi-beast
    "Dayton Audio SUB-1500 15" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer" from www.parts-express.com!
    (there is a 12" for a bit less as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.