Any experience with the LP Gear X3 brush?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy my first dry cleaning brush, and came across the LP Gear X3, which looks pretty good.

Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts about this brush?

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I use a "carbon fiber" brush on a cleaned record right before I play it.
    I would not use any "dry brush" on a record that has not been washed
    (wet) cleaned first because it would only soil the dry brush and push
    dirt around the record.

3. action pact

Good advice.

I do have some Last 3 cleaner and brushes that I can use for brand new or very dirty records, but it seems that a dry brush should be fine for just a routine dusting.

I am also considering an Audioquest brush. They can be had for $15 on eBay.

4. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I have this brush and it works fine. I also wet clean any LP's that I buy, and I use this brush to dust it off before playing.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, the "dry cleaning" term is a little misleading. The best way to "clean"
    a record is a wet brush, (and vac if possible) rinse method. The dry brush
    is for just before playing to get the dust and relieve static. A trick I use to
    help while dusting with the carbon fiber brush is to (ground) myself with my "free" hand while placing the brush to the (spinning) record surface.

6. albertoderoma

albertoderoma Well-Known Member

I have it, but I prefer this one:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/mer...=LG&Product_Code=TONARNOSTAT&Category_Code=PE

They both do a find job, but the one without the velvet pad in the middle feels better to use and appears to be "kinder" to the record. Some dirt on the velvet pad could end-up scratching the record.

Alberto

7. action pact

The Tonar looks good. The dust-preventing case is a plus.

8. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

What brush do you use for wet cleaning? I have a DiscWasher brush I have beenusing for cleaning with D4. I am probably going for the Tonar brush, too.

9. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

In fact, most things I've read suggest dry cleaning the record before wet washing it. That way you get off the surface dirt rather than dissolving it and pushing it around with the wet cleaning.

Re: later poster. If you aren't going to get a record cleaning machine (start around $350), the disc doctor set is considered quite good. That's what I use and I like it. Found at Acoustic Sounds and similar places.

10. Clay W

Clay W New Member

Are you referring to "wet cleaning" without benefit of a vacuum? Otherwise I can't follow your notion that one would bedissolving the the dirt and pushing it around.

I've always used wet cleaning with a vacuum machine first (new records, used records, all of them) and then using the Hunt brush only as a ritual dust off immediately before playing. That method has never let me down, and I've got some forty year old stuff in my collection that still sounds as good as it did when new - better actually owing to current playback equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.