Any fans of classic country legend Ray Pillow?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Born in 1937, Ray Pillow has been a member of the Grand Ole Opry since 1966 and more recently was inducted to the Virginia Country Music Hall Of Fame. With 18 singles on the Billboard country charts, Pillow continues to perform and record. Pillow is known for recording albums of a consistent quality and for numerous labels including Capitol, ABC, Plantation, Mega, Dot and MCA.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As a respected businessman in the music industry, Pillow founded Sycamore Valley Music Company with Larry McFadden. They brought Lee Greenwood to Nashville and published all of Greenwood's songs, including his 1985 CMA Song Of The Year, 'God Bless The U.S.A." Pillow also worked as an A&R representative at Capitol Records.
    [​IMG]
    Having aged very well, Ray Pillow still puts on an incredible show. If indeed there is a fountain of youth, Pillow just might hold the secret to aging gracefully.

2. melstapler

'One Too Many Memories'

The Killer likes this.
  3. melstapler

'Invitation To The Blues'

Front 242 Addict and The Killer like this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Hadn't heard of him, truth be told. Checking out his Capitol recordings now. Seems pretty good, now to hope it eventually comes out on CD.

melstapler likes this.
  5. melstapler

Definitely. Although I have all of his LPs, some of them are in very rough condition. It would be nice to have everything in one place and only Bear Family Records is capable of releasing a quality comprehensive box set which would include his recordings from the 1960s-1980s.

Ray Pillow's album of duets with Jean Shepard is also an excellent album. If you're interested, Pillow's most recent studio album is a CD entitled "Country Class" and he also has a live album entitled "Ray Pillow Live," which is available on CD. Both discs can be purchased from Ray's official website.

Ray Pillow - Home Page »

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

"Gone With The Wine" is recommended to seek out, Ray's Capitol output is superb.

melstapler likes this.
  7. melstapler

8. melstapler

This is an excellent 4-part interview with Ray Pillow.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Ray Pillow is a great singer.

McLover and melstapler like this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I remember hearing his name back in the '60s, but somehow never heard his music until I clicked on the videos here. I had heard "My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You" and "Volkswagen" but didn't know who it was. I had thought he was a soft, slick countrypolitan singer (maybe because his name was Pillow), but this is pretty hard core honky tonk (tempered with a smooth vocal style;I can hear a Ray Price influence). Always loved Jean Shepherd and saw her in concert in 1980, but didn't know she and Ray made a duet album. I'll be seeking out some Ray Pillow albums. Thanks for enlightening me.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Front 242 Addict and melstapler like this.
  11. melstapler

For all fans of traditional country music, I highly recommend Ray's latest album, "Country Class." It is available on CD and was recorded with the Grand Ole Opry band.
    This CD contains a terrific selection of songs and can be purhcased at Ray Pillow - Home Page »
    [​IMG]

If you're interested, Ray also has an enjoyable live album entitled "Ray Pillow Live." This live CD has excellent sound and can be purchased at Ray Pillow - Home Page »
    [​IMG]

12. melstapler

'Put Yourself In My Place'

Front 242 Addict and The Killer like this.
  13. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

"Take Your Hands Off My Heart" was a standout track when I first got to hear Capitol's 1965 double compilation, "The World of Country Music", which I believe did quite well for them, with Buck, Wanda, Jean, Tex, Hank Thompson & more alongside it. Took me awhile to find a stereo copy. I eventually found the "Presenting" album above in a thrift store. Capitol, RCA, Columbia & Decca all had solid country rosters in the 60's.

14. melstapler

What a great song! His classic recordings were of such a high quality, I still fail to understand why Bear Family Records haven't issued a comprehensive box set. At this point, even BGO could release a series of twofers or fourfers containing these albums on CD.

Reader likes this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Anyone who sang about "Getting More Plowed Than The Bottom Forty" is truly Country in my book. Ray's Capitol output belongs on a big old AMI-Rowe jukebox at full cry!

BradOlson, GerryO and melstapler like this.
  16. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thanks for starting this thread. This guy's material would make a great Bear Family box. He deserves to be much better known.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  17. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is a list of all Bear Family releases, both in print and out of print, that can be downloaded? I'm mainly interested in CD's but wouldn't mind if vinyl was included.

18. jerry r harvey jr

jerry r harvey jr New Member

My name is J.R. Harvey Jr. my father played in the first band Ray put together in Virginia. I really had no idea how good he sang until now. I am a musician now and
    have been playing for years but then I was to young to know anything. I did play with the guitar player and fiddle player that played in that band years later. Of course
    they were a lot older than me. This is very interesting to me. Hell I am 54 years old now and still figuring things out!

19. melstapler

A recent performance by Ray Pillow on Larry's Country Diner

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ray's output for many labels was always consistently high quality. His records were always at least very good and often excellent or great. He's always worth listening to in my book. And worth the effort to hunt down clean copies of.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I had never heard of this artist until I read this thread today. So far I've listened to two of his records and I like what I'm hearing. I always enjoy finding about lesser known artists.

melstapler likes this.
  22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I've only discovered him in the last year or so, having found his two solo Capitol records in the thrift stores. It's pretty good stuff.

melstapler likes this.
  23. melstapler

'Excuse Me I Think I Got A Heartache' from the "Slippin Around With Ray Pillow" LP from 1972

The Killer likes this.
  24. melstapler

'After The Lovin' from Ray's "Hilltop Country" LP. Featuring fiddle by the late great Johnny Gimble. Ray is definitely a master interpreter of songs and gives them his own unique touch.

25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Just picked up a used copy of this, only 10 tracks and looks a bit 80s but if it's anything like what's already been posted...

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.