Any fans of Gerry Anderson? (Thunderbirds, UFO, Space 1999)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by goodiesguy, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Big fan, I saw space 1975 when it came out, and it tripped me out well the first season anyways. I just ordered the ufo series from half price books, I'm digging the whole box set. And yes I have the amt ertle eagle collection, and moon base alpha, and I have a dinky metal eagle on my work desk. I'm truly a Gerry Anderson fan!

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I always thought it would have been fun to see a UFO or Space 1999 with everyone as puppets, like a dream sequence in an episode they wake up from. Some extremely talented people made three new old Thunderbirds circa 1965, if only they would make this dream come true! After all, we did see Thunderbirds with real people once (too bad it wasn't a better story or it might have kept going).

I'm all about the puppets! :cool: "Krunk like see little things hitting each other."
    [​IMG]

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I wasn't aware of the Supermarionation shows until I was an adult. I was a kid when Space: 1999 was originally broadcast. A friend loaned me tapes of Thunderbirds, but I didn't quite "get it" like he did. The one that won me over was Captain Scarlet. I love that show and it's darker tone and my enjoyment of it allowed me to reevaluate the Anderson cannon. There are ups and downs, but it is an impressive body of work and the fanbase that exists and still grows is testament to it's originality and how it touches people.

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

My introduction to Supermarionation was Supercar, and then Fireball X-L5, both of which I loved. In fact, I carved one of those flying Fireball X-L5 scooters out of a bar of soap! As the puppets began assuming more human proportions, in the later series, I lost interest.

nikh33, Vidiot and beccabear67 like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I loved all those shows as a kid. I think the Anderson productions lost something after Thunderbirds -- I think his goal of trying to make the shows more "real" took something away.

nikh33 and beccabear67 like this.
  6. Johnny Rocker

Puppet shows rule![​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  7. beccabear67

Cool, Mr. Moose invented slam dancing! :)

8. Johnny Rocker

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Too bad they will never produce this interesting space craft......

9. Johnny Rocker

[​IMG] [​IMG] I remember the Dragons Domain critter too, that eye that glowed, freaked me out, I used to swim at a swimming pool and there was one light in the deep end that reminded me of that critters eye, during a dive I could see it clearly in my goggles. LOL!

Purple Jim and beccabear67 like this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

11. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Grew up watching Gerry Anderson's programmes starting with Twizzle in the fifties. Much preferred the puppet shows to the live action ones, although there's always a place in my heart for Lt. Gay Ellis! Never saw Secret Service as it wasn't broadcast in my local ITV region. Captain Scarlet is my favourite series but I didn't care much for the CG remake. Bought the annuals, models, cards & TV21 comics. Along with Doctor Who, Gerry Anderson defines my TV upbringing.

Halfwit and beccabear67 like this.
  12. beccabear67

Gay Ellis (Gabrielle Drake) was Nick Drake's sister, it took me awhile to realize that. It could've been Nick on Space: 1999 instead of Big Jim Sullivan...

13. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I enjoyed both Stingray and Captain Scarlett, was entranced by the character and set design, and LOVED it whenever they had a live-action hand insert.

beccabear67 likes this.
  14. Johnny Rocker

That him. [​IMG]

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's still pretty horrific to this day. Of course on the Blu-ray you can see the occasional wire (someone really ought to go in and computer-animate those out), but what an incredible design. There's a bit where it spews some kind of fluid that's just blood curdling.

Compare and contrast with the lame-*ssed monsters of Star Trek, shot just seven years or so before...

Star Trek‘s 10 Cheesiest Classic Creatures

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I remember watching "SuperCar" a few times in the mid 1960s. Don't remember much other than the theme song. Never saw the others. "UFO" was shown when I was in college. Gone through "Space 1999" twice in last decade. Never understood why if Maya (Catherine Schell) could change into any creature, she choose to be a woman with sideburns.
    But some episodes such as "Dragon's Domain" (fortunately Martin Landau couldn't be the star in that one as he wanted) and the one with Christopher Lee are pretty good

17. beccabear67

Not all that many can trace back to Twizzle! Sadly they only kept the pilot and all the rest are apparently gone forever, so that's the only one of those I've ever seen. But I did pick up the DVD sets for Torchy The Battery Boy and Four Feather Falls... I really am mad for puppet shows. Supercar was excellent also (and Space Patrol which Roberta Leigh made without the Andersons).

sbeck201 likes this.
  18. Johnny Rocker

Maya with the burns, thank you, thank you very much,[​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  19. Johnny Rocker

Cool sounding guitar, sitar, you can order one from Guitar Center for a reasonable price, its very similar to the one he played.

beccabear67 likes this.
  20. beccabear67

I saw ads for it in some old magazines. Probably a lot of fun to play with. Jim Sullivan recorded an album or two with one during the craze for all things sitar.

[​IMG]

geo50000 and Johnny Rocker like this.
  21. Johnny Rocker

That's it! That would sound great with a delay pedal and minor distortion. Thanx Becca bear!:cool:

beccabear67 likes this.
  22. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Yes, the "dragon" in "Dragon's Domain" is creepy, but in its second year, Space:1999's aliens trump anything on Star Trek in the cheese department.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Johnny Rocker

Space critters!:-popcorn:

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The Space:1999 year one soundtrack is a thing of wonder. Not just Barry Gray's music - which is (pardon the pun) stellar - but also the numerous library tracks music editor Allan Willis cobbled together, plus original tracks like this Jim Sullivan piece. Fanderson assembled a fairly-complete limited-edition soundtrack about 15 years ago - now out of print and insanely expensive - which sounded incredible (thank heavens it was pre-loudness wars) and demonstrated just how well-scored the series was.

I feel like we've mostly regressed since. When it comes to soundtracks, subsequent genre series have either been obvious Star Wars rip-offs (the original Battlestar Galactica and its ilk) or cursed with synth-pad, atmospheric crap (most of the Star Treks). The only one that struck me as having an original - if not always particularly tuneful - soundtrack was the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. But maybe things have gotten better since - I don't watch much TV these days.

beccabear67 and Michelle66 like this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Y2 of 1999 is an abomination. Although given they slashed the budget, I thought they did as good a job as could be expected. At least the designs were creative, if not particularly convincing. Although these things looked pretty wicked on-screen, with blood pulsing thru numerous translucent veins.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.