Any Fans Of The Film Se7en?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

As in, Omigod, what's in the box?

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, but in "Henry" it's pretty clear what is in the box. Not so much in "Se7en". Maybe that's just me.

3. Nevertheless, he wasn't killed - and he was a direct participant in the sin, so I don't see that as a problem in Doe's grander scheme.
    Sure, but he nevertheless seems to think what he's done will inspire others: "I'm setting the example. What I've done is going to be puzzled over, and studied, and followed...forever."

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And he might be right - do you really think the nutbags who would be "inspired" by Doe are gonna be thrown off course due to one quibble? :laugh:

Face it: Doe is a movie of the week. He's a f--king T-shirt - at best! ;)

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have the Recoiled EP. While it does have "Closer" on it, I don't think it's the same complete mix from the movie.

Here's a pic of the hype sticker.

[​IMG]

There's a comment on Discogs that mentions the same thing.
    https://www.discogs.com/Coil-Nine-Inch-Nails-Recoiled/release/5349443

6. Oatsdad

7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I still like to say "you can't just tap the world on the shoulder anymore".

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I love The Cell. What a twisted movie. But the bleach..... Ecch.... What I like in The Cell is the dream sequences Thy were great.

alexpop likes this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

It's funny....
    for YEARS, I thought the "Se7en"-mix was NEVER available.

I guess what Vinyl Addict wrote was why I was always confused!

10. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Not really an all-time favorite of mine, but a movie I've enjoyed a couple of times!

11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I still think my favorite part is the scene with Paltrow & Freeman in the diner.

maxnix, windfall and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  12. Oatsdad

That's an excellent scene.

On the old Criterion LD, they included an outtake that focused solely on Paltrow for the whole scene - it was amazing!

I'll bet it's on Youtube - I've not looked!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

I became a NIN fan at exactly the same time "Se7en" was released. I saw Bowie 11 times that fall and NIN opened - I'd never listened to them previously, but that tour made me a fan.

I actually saw "Se7en" while on the road to see Bowie/NIN. I went from Chicago to Detroit and stayed the night halfway between the twos, so I saw the movie somewhere in Michigan between the two cities.

I went ahead and bought everything NIN I could find that fall, and the "Closer" single would've been part of that, so I knew the remix used in "Se7en" was available all those years ago! :)

Dreadnought and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  14. vince

On the opposite end of the spectrum:
    My wife and I were working at a DC record store when "Petty Hate Machine" first came out...
    My thought was, "Ugh! This sounds like Phill Collins over some Adrian Sherwood production! Rip-off!"

Later, when we were living in New Orleans, we found out that the guy had moved just down the STREET from where we lived!
    "Jeez! We can't ESCAPE this guy!", we said to ourselves!
    By this time, I had 'lost the thread' when it came to 'modern music'! I was too busy 'catching up' with Zappa, The Residents, & Negativland.
    Looking back, I still like his stuff... and all the film music he does with Atticus Ross!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  15. Combination

He actually won an award from the community civic association or whatever, for the most improved house on the block or something like that!

16. vince

It WAS quite a bad part of town back then (1990-93).

17. Combination

Oh, that's before he moved to the Garden District - sorry for the confusion!

18. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

It's one of the few movies that I can remember watching, and actually being scared by it. I don't usually ever get freaked out by 'scary' movies; this one was really different. I saw it on TV about 1 in the morning, with all of the lights off, and my wife sleeping in the bedroom, and our newborn baby asleep in his crib. For whatever reason, I was mesmerized and shaken up by the whole thing. Maybe it was my hormones, what with the new baby and all!

19. Oatsdad

When you played with the baby's new jack-in-the-box, did you scream "WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?!?!" the whole time?

Grunge Master likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I've only seen the movie once, in the theatre. After the opening credits I leaned over to my brother and whispered "that looked incredible". He leaned back and whispered "I forgot my glasses".
    :doh:
    With Se7en I realized Brad Pitt was a real actor. I had this wrongheaded notion regarding the pretty boys of Hollwood. Soon enough I saw George Clooney also prove me wrong with "Out of Sight". I tossed in the towel right then that these were great actors who happened to have good looks. Dicaprio and Depp as well.
    That would be CSI. Even courtrooms are in darkness! How I dislike that show in so many ways. Se7en might be in there in the evolution of ever darker and damper. Just as Star Wars extinguished finally the aerodynamic spacecraft and everything got real dark after Alien and Blade Runner, Se7en had a visual impact. At least that is my foggy recollection. Another influence Se7en possibly had was the ingenious, very elaborate of plan serial killer. I had mixed feelings about that as on one hand that doesn't happen in real life and on the other hand it makes for a better movie. I suppose it was the many less skillful movies that followed, which were a glorification of the evil geniuses (who in reality were more often below average intelligence) that annoyed. I always get in a tangle regarding credibility and entertainment. A reason I love Zodiac. Maybe that is easier when a movie is restrained by facts. I was assisted in being grabbed by Zodiac because although it rang a bell, being in the news when I was a kid, I didn't know the conclusion.

I felt a good subject for one of these movies would be the Cleveland Torso Murders (1935-38) with interesting elements such as the name Eliot Ness, very early use of polygraph testing, the prime suspect a doctor and political meddling from the doctor's relative, a congressman, and that congressman related to the sheriff. In checking the wiki just now I see: "David Fincher planned to make a film about the murders after making a movie about another unidentified serial killer, known as the Zodiac Killer. A graphic novel entitled Torso, created by Brian Michael Bendis and Marc Andreyko, became the source for the film. The adaptation was greenlit by Paramount Pictures in 2006 but eventually cancelled. In 2013, the plan to make the film was revived, and it was reported that David Lowery would direct the film."
    DANG! :realmad:
    Also from the wiki "At one point in time, the killer even taunted Ness by placing the remains of two victims in full view of his office in city hall." Also I recall reading Ness saying the only time he was ever scared in his career was when alone in a room with the physically large suspect doctor. Quite a tale there.

I keep making the same mistake of watching the original European versions before the American remakes. Not a regional versus thing with Dragon but more that I was so taken with Noomi Rapace's performance as Lisbeth Salander it would be unlikely I'd view a remake fairly. Now a comparison of "Let the Right One In" and "Let Me In" would be interesting as they are more competitive in quality.

I watched that about a year ago for the first time and remember little about it. I must be repressing. :D

That is the best! I had a similar experience with "Under the Skin" alone in bed at 2am. I've tried to replicate setting that stage at home but it doesn't always work.

21. Someone once told me that this was proper crime scene protocol, just in case the suspect had rigged the light sockets with explosives or something. No idea if this is true, but I'll buy it as an explanation in a movie like this.

BLUESJAZZMAN and GodShifter like this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I had an entirely different experience alone in bed at 2am after watching Under the Skin.... :p

23. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I remember seeing it with my father and wife. Nobody spoke on the ride home....

I actually went for the opening title sequence, which was pretty cool for the time.

24. I remember this one quite well. I was thoroughly enjoying it with my Wife. We were getting towards the end and when you could kind of figure out what was coming up for the Finale, she stopped watching. Refuses to watch it. One of only a couple (other than Horror) that she WILL NOT WATCH.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a great film, but hard (for me anyway) to watch twice.

Fincher had to fight very hard to shoot the writer's original "head in a box" ending. New Line wanted to go with a rewritten ending that was much more traditional, but I think their courage to stick with the downbeat ending was a good one; the film made $300M+, got great reviews, and basically made David Fincher's career.

GodShifter and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.