Any Fans Of The Film Se7en?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Correct. Sorry.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Somerset's reaction makes that impossible. If Tracy's head ain't in the box, he'll say "Tracy's head ain't in the box". The fact Somerset just tries to calm Mills without giving him reassurances signed her death warrant.

None of this means I necessarily predicted her death before that end scene. Though IIRC, Tracy goes missing from the movie for a fair amount of time before it ends. Was there a scene where Mills tried to reach her and couldn't? Can't recall...

Yeah, even if Mills went to prison, it'd be for a brief stint, methinks - if at all. Given his career choice, I suspect he'd be held to a higher standard, though - I think a cop would be expected to restrain himself in that circumstance more than a civilian..

Yeah, him too! :D

3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

If thought maybe a fake head. Doe was very smart.

4. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

nope. too disturbing for me.
    just the mention of it gives me the willies.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Interestingly a local tv channel screened this movie tonight. Didn't watch it though. :)

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ending sucked.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

No, but just before Doe appears at the police station an officer at the desk tells Mills his wife called and to get himself an answer machine.

Oatsdad likes this.
  8. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This movie rates a "10" on the "need a shower after viewing" scale. Really groundbreaking, but unfortunately the big reveal was only exciting the first time. It's fun to expose this movie to people who haven't seen it (an admittedly quickly shrinking population).

alexpop likes this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Creeped me out when i saw it

10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Love this movie. Definitely one of my favorites of the 90s.

The scene where Mills, Sommerset and Doe drive to what ends up being the finale is my favorite.

I love how despite both doing a fantastic job, Pitt and Freeman are almost overshadowed in the last 20-30 minutes by Spacey, who completely takes over the movie once he is revealed as John Doe.

enro99 and Oatsdad like this.
  11. Oatsdad

:eek: Ending is arguably the best part of the movie!

12. Oatsdad

I actually think the ending - even the "big reveal" - still work surprisingly well on repeated viewings.

The ending should lose impact when you know what'll happen, but it doesn't. Fincher stages it all with such terrible dread that the actual "reveal" is almost irrelevant - it's the path to get their and then the denouement that make it so dynamic and traumatizing...

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Big reveal"
    Looks kinda corny now.

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I hear what you're saying. I still watch this movie regularly, and it is still enjoyable even if you know what's coming because it is so well done. But that first time...yikes. Brad Pitt's a pretty good actor.

Oatsdad likes this.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Fincher is such a meticulous director, and most of his movies demand repeated viewings. In my opinion, Zodiac and Se7en are his best.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

"For the first time ever, you and I are in total agreement."

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

What I love about the ending is the way it exemplifies Somerset’s speech to Tracy earlier about his partner’s abortion. “I know I made the right decision but there isn’t a day goes by when I don’t wish I had made a different choice”. There’s a deep truth about life In there.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

On the old Criterion LD, there was an outtake of that scene that just showed Gwyneth's part - it's amazing. With that one short clip, she showed that she can really act - her reactions are heartbreaking.

Wonder if it's online somewhere? I've not seen it in years!

19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Would love to see that.

20. Oatsdad

I did a quick YT search and didn't find it.

I hoped some computer genius here would locate it for me! :D

I'm almost afraid to watch it again - I worry it won't be as good as my memory tells me.

But I do recall thinking it was awesome when I saw it in the 90s - I'm still disappointed the clip hasn't resurfaced on DVD or BD...

windfall likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here you go Bluesjazzman. Since you're a fan. Found this today repurposing belongings as xmas gifts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    enro99 likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

[​IMG]

This last is the cover of the script. Carlyle found the script and developed it for ten years before Arnold Kopelson came on board to produce. One reason I might also dislike the film is that the producer I worked for wanted me to play John Doe. I auditioned along with everyone from Michael York to Oliver Platt and yet the prouder and David Fincher still really wanted me, but Kopelson put up a fuss because he was grooming his %^&* protege -- da dum -- Kevin Spacey, after "Outbreak." See, I wouldn't have been half as much trouble! It's a good story, someday I might tell it. Interesting from the perspective of how being in the right place at the right time --- a "Hollywood success story" can actually happen out here. I never even wanted to actor! :o

enro99 and alexpop like this.
  23. Radio Jammor

Radio Jammor Forum Resident

When I saw the first quote, and noting almost ironically the reference to the an "ark", I couldn't help but wonder if Panda had seen Bladerunner.

Django evidently has...

This is a very good film, but it is one, as someone else has stated, that I regard as a movie that you can't watch again and get any kind of enjoyment out of it. Maybe watching individual scenes and analysing them again might be interesting, but this is a movie, when all is said and done, that has a climax to it that can only truly work on the audience the first time.

24. Oatsdad

I still disagree with that. I've watched "Se7en" at least 10 times over the years, and even without the surprise, the ending remains intense...

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The rain on the Blu-ray is wonderful. I actually thought it was raining outside, then I remembered that it was just the movie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.