Any fans of the lemonheads here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jp114, Aug 26, 2015.

1. jp114

jp114 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm a longtime fan of the Lemonheads. They seem to either be dismissed, forgotten, ignored, or never heard of by most people in my circle. I've always thought they made some great original music and had a knack for doing interesting covers. Any fans here? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I love Evan's voice, such a nice, warm voice that goes perfectly with the more poppier stuff. So It's A Shame About Ray and Come On Feel The Lemonheads are my favorite albums (I won't be alone in that), but I like the rest. Haven't listened enough to their earlier stuff, but recently bought the expanded reissues so they're on my pile to be listened to.

D-rock and wwright like this.
  3. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

It meant something that they released a song as "Big Gay Heart" as a single

Rooster_Ties and D-rock like this.
  4. boots

boots Chokma!

Oh, I thought you were talking about the candy, I love the candy.:pineapple:

A. Scrounger likes this.
  5. jp114

jp114 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I like their stuff from Lovey onwards the best. Not much of fan of their early stuff though, aside from a few tracks like their cover of Luka. I'd say that Come on Feel is my favorite by them. Car button cloth also has has a cool quirky quality to it. Evan Dando's solo lp has a similar vibe, but is more country tinged. I wish they'd get a bit more active . . .

6. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

It's A Shame About Ray is one of my favorite albums ever. Picked up the Music On Vinyl version last year. I also like the self-titled album on Vagrant from a few years back too.

OasisFan, brentolie and Fullbug like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

I prefer Alexander The Grape:

[​IMG]

8. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

"Mallo Cup" has long been a personal fave and a mix tape staple. A theme song of sorts. Yes, I like the candy version ;)

bleachershane and egebamyasi like this.
  9. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Funnily enough, as a kid growing up in the '90s, I absolutely remember eating those one summer and listening to The Lemonheads' version of Mrs. Robinson and the coincidence sort of blew my mind at the time. But I ate the candy all the time those summers - we'd get them from the ice cream truck.

I've never gone on to explore more of the Lemonheads music. (Can't eat much of the candy anymore, either....)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love them. Lick and It's a Shame About Ray in particular are two of my all time favorite albums.

11. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I have "It's A Shame About Ray", nice album! Bought it for the version of "Mrs Robinson", but I liked the rest of the songs as well.

12. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Right here! :righton:

13. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have originals of...

Lovey
    Shame About Ray
    Come On Feel The Lemonheads
    Car Button Cloth

JG

14. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

It's A Shame About Ray is one of my favorite albums of the '90s, but that's about it for me.

rockerreds likes this.
  15. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Never heard of them, sorry.

16. HectorBoeksky

HectorBoeksky Forum Resident

Yep. Lovey, It's a Shame About Ray and Come on Feel are all fantastic. Lick has some great stuff. Mallo Cup is one of their best. Creator and Hate Your Friends ( I have a comp called Create Your Friends that combines the two) are fun but sound like a different (punkier) band.

17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Mine too and when I first met my wife, it was one she loved so we still listen to it a lot, road trips and party mixes. Confetti and rudderless are still brilliant

Culpa likes this.
  18. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Was a huge fan in my teens, but grew out of them over the years. Maybe I'll go and take a nostalgic relisten! I liked everything from their punky teenagers debut up until 'Car Button Cloth", great album that was ignored by many at the time, great drumming from Murph of Dinosaur Jr.

19. bleachershane

I used to stick that on many a mix tape back in the day!

A. Scrounger likes this.
  20. vamborules

This is tough to beat for catchy pop-rock songwriting.

Dave116 and Fullbug like this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I remember "Into Your Arms" on MTV and I really liked that song. Don't think I ever heard anything else by them, though.

22. bleachershane

For anyone that hadn't heard anything prior to "It's A Shame About Ray", this is one of the greatest songs that Evan penned, should've been a hit...

vamborules likes this.
  23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

There are a bunch of Lemonheads songs that I like. A top 10 might look like this:

1. Into Your Arms
    2. If I Could Talk I'd Tell You
    3. The Outdoor Type (hilarious lyrics)
    4. Mrs. Robinson
    5. It's A Shame About Ray
    6. It's All True
    7. Hospital
    8. Allison's Starting To Happen
    9. Down About It
    10. Dawn Can't Decide

Beaneydave, dannydieerr and jp114 like this.
  24. vamborules

This is a great one written and sung by Ben Deily.

bleachershane likes this.
  25. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Loved them back in the '90s, so this thread might inspire me to get back into them. "Rudderless" off It's a Shame About Ray is a great song.

garrincha and cc-- like this.