Any fans of the lemonheads here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jp114, Aug 26, 2015.

1. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

I love It's a Shame About Ray too, although I think it works better in its original track list which excludes Mrs Robinson (the first Japanese release is like that). Frank Mills is such a sweet way to end the album.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

I love It's a Shame About Ray too, although I think it works better in its original track list which excludes Mrs Robinson (the first Japanese release is like that). Frank Mills is such a sweet way to end the album.

3. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

They were my drug buddies!

:love::hugs:

5. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

i liked them had i few albums, caught them live once.
    good stuff, but kinda forgettable.

6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Being from the Boston area and going to college in MA in the early '90s, it was pretty much impossible to go to a party or hang out in someone's dorm room without hearing Ray (along with the Blake Babies, Juliana, Buffalo Tom, or - of course - Dino/Sebadoh). I always found it a little lightweight and cutesy - I much preferred Come On Feel, which was more varied and far darker. The Spanish Dishes EP was great, as well.

I thought Car Button Cloth was a little half-assed and when I saw them on that tour, it was pretty obvious why - Dando was pretty much catatonic. Damn - how was that 20 years ago???

George P likes this.
  7. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Not to threadcrap, but since you mentioned them, Buffalo Tom opened for Evan & Co. when I saw them at Roseland in '94. And I gotta say, BT were clearly the better band that night. (Another Boston band, the Gigolo Aunts, were first on the bill but had already played by the time I got there. Wound up seeing THEM at Maxwell's the next year, so that worked out OK.)

8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I really liked The Lemonheads but I never sought out Evan Dando's solo stuff. According to SuperDeluxeEdition.com ... his first solo album is getting the deluxe treatment. Is it any good?

Evan Dando / Baby I'm Bored reissue

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yes. Stylistically it's more of a Lemonheads album than the one that came out under the group name afterward.

DTK, Desolation Row and D-rock like this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just checking out some of the early albums and they aren't really doing it for me, though I enjoyed the "Plaster Caster" cover version. I do really like It's A Shame About Ray and Come On Feel The Lemonheads. I haven't heard anything after that album yet.

11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

12. Yeah!
    Ceiling Fan in my Spoon is my jam. Drug Buddy. Mrs Robinson.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

This is absolutely one of my all-time favorite covers.

14. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Have you heard "Lick"? It was easily the most melodic of the early albums and songs like "Mallo Cup" showed where Evan's songwriting was going.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I did listen to it, but it didn't do anything for me. Aside from The Ramones, I'm not really a punk fan. Apologies if the early Lemonheads isn't legit "punk", but that's how it sounds to me. I did just listen to Car Button Cloth and liked it for the most part, so I think I'll pick that up on CD.

bleachershane likes this.
  16. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

That's the last Lemonheads album I really enjoyed, worthwhile having I'd say.

17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Been waiting for a vinyl reissue of Car Button Cloth for ages!

theshape likes this.
  18. dannydieerr

dannydieerr Forum Resident

Evan Dando was always letting his country leanings come out whenever he could... his version of Tin Drum is just perfect, he had a knack of taking that style of song and making it his own.

19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Song for song "Ray" is one of the best albums of the nineties for me.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I only like their first album "Hate Your Friends" and parts of the other two on Taang. To me, they took the same path as Soul Asylum and the Goo Goo Dolls and went to ballad hell after they had a hit.

How can you really top songs like this?

Kristofa and Doggiedogma like this.
  21. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Big fan of “Shame” and “Come On Feel”. Especially love their cover of “Different Drum”. Maybe THE definitive version of that song? :hide:

22. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I don't know if I would call myself a fan because I don't know much about them, but I do have their Creator album.

[​IMG]

bleachershane likes this.
  23. Sad McBain

Sad McBain Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea what Dando is up to these days?

His Twitter feed is nothing but pictures of his girlfriend(?).

Fullbug and punkmusick like this.
  24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

A ship without a rudder's like a ship without a rudder's like a . . .

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

He played Australia in March. Seems to be up and about. A new album is sorely needed though.