Any Gomez fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CaseyJames, Feb 27, 2018.

1. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe Thread Starter

Love this band and just got an email that they are doing a 2oth anniversary reissue of their debut Bring It On.

Vinyl wise, this is a tough record to find, so I'm glad that they are doing a vinyl reissue. They are also touring to commemorate the record.

As good as Bring It On is, I actually like their second record Liquid Skin more and have been after a vinyl copy for years. Even harder to find but maybe that, too, will get a reissue next year.

Anyways, incredible and underrated band in my opinion.

2. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Great band. Been a fan of those nutty guys from the beginning.

3. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Always heard about them, but never took the time to check them out until now - I picked up mint copies of their first two cds for a buck each over the weekend at a local record shop.

martinkjr and MarkTWIC like this.
  4. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

*raises hand*

I have their first two albums and Split The Difference from 2004, all excellent. After that I stopped following them, because, well there's so much other great stuff coming out very week.

MarkTWIC likes this.
  5. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I rediscovered my extensive collection of Gomez albums and singles I made in the 1990s and early 2000s. Mostly cardboard covers. My interest seems to have waned in the three year gap between the second and third album. The first two albums "Bring it on" and "Liquid Skin" and associated singles were amazing (and I see the "Machismo E.P." in 2000 which I also have).

In particular "78 Stone Wobble" and "Whippin' Piccadilly" were great singles and although I can't recall them now there were some excellent b-sides too. Note in the video for Whippin' Piccadilly linked to above features a very young actor called Toby Jones. He's much better known these days.

It's strange I can't tell you why I stopped listening to them because I used to like them a lot and they never did anything wrong I can recall. Same I guess with the Charlatans. I bought a tonne of stuff by them but no longer listen to them at all but if I catch an odd track somewhere I still enjoy them.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

YES

When these guys came on the scene I was doing CD reviews for my college newspaper and I picked up Bring It On from the promo review pile. Instant fan. And yes I agree Liquid Skin is the high water mark but everything through the Out West live album is GOLD. I have been searching for Gomez vinyl for years but it's almost impossible in the US. The only classic Gomez release I have found is the B Sides album (which is great).

Edit: Oh! As a side note, if you ever start going in the wrong direction after taking psychedelics I highly recommend Liquid Skin. That record saved me big time once.

7. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe Thread Starter

Yeah, originals are rarer than hen's teeth here in the US. Bring It On got a reissue a few years back but even that is hard (and pricey) to find.

So glad that at least THAT record is being reissued for a good price. Here's hoping Liquid Skin gets the same treatment!

Pre-order

8. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

The first 2 records were brilliant, although I’ve not listened to them since the early 2000’s

Saw them live twice - they were amazing. They would regularly swap instruments and with 3 lead singers in the band, it never got boring. How they got so good, whilst being so young is anyone’s guess.

9. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Yes indeed. Been a longtime fan. Saw them in Asheville a few years ago at the Orange Peel. They were fantastic.

10. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Yes, looking forward to the anniversary reissue.

11. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Great band. Hard to say what is their best album though as each has it's charms...

12. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Very underrated and somewhat undiscovered band (at least here in the US). Seen them in concert 3-4 times in San Francisco and they put on a great show. Agree with the previous post that it's hard to determine which of their albums is their best.

jazz_case and wwright like this.
  13. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I shocked myself. These are the "few" Gomez releases I have on CD. Front and then back.
    That's 20 and I am pretty sure I have the Shopping Trolley album somewhere too. I obviously really liked
    the early singles!

This for a band that I was only slightly keen on.

Front:

[​IMG]

and back

[​IMG]

14. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I like all of their stuff, but How We Operate remains my very favorite album.

ARK, ramdom, DPK and 2 others like this.
  15. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Probably too obvious, commercial, or whatever for hard-core fans, but the title track is my favorite Gomez tune (not that I've heard anywhere near their entire catalog):

ARK, Jeff Minn and MarkTWIC like this.
  16. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Thanks!

I've never heard this. It seems at some point after having pretty much everything I lost interest in Gomez or maybe buying new music altogether.

It was about the time I was embarking on a major project which lasted a long time. That might have been it.

Planbee likes this.
  17. bobc

bobc Bluesman

I only have Bring It On and Liquid Skin on CD. Great albums. I was drawn to them by hearing Whipping Piccadilly on a Mojo comp. I was wowed.

Varied, classy music, good musicianship, enlivened by the use of several vocalists as mentioned above.

And... very stylish graphics on the cover art. It all counts. Nice to see all those CD covers above.

18. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Count me in.

I was looking at my Gomez section today, tempted to play one of the cd's. I bought Bring it on and Liquid Skin at the time of release. Later bought The Five Men In A Hut best of. Since then i've picked up a few more of their cd's in the past few years - In Our Gun, How We Operate. I'd like to get hold of the rest. Will watch out for recommendations in this thread.

19. Almost Simon

I'm missing Split The Difference, A New Tide, Whatevers on your mind. And the live album, Out West. Any suggestions which to head for first? I'm thinking the live album.

edit - I also have the Machismo EP on cd.

20. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I remember being in a pretty stormy relationship back when this was album was released. I will never forget her constantly requesting me to "play that song again."

I liked it too.

ARK likes this.
  21. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I don’t revisit their CDs on my shelf as much as I could, and I am overdue on weeding some out. I don’t even have that many. I dislike one of their vocalists, so I just need to find the CDs I have that are mostly him, I suppose.

22. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Got in to them while living in Europe thanks to a stellar review in Q (?), and have a pretty much complete collection, may be missing a few singles, but have the self-released live albums, plus my wife splurged on the special editions of a few albums direct from them with signed posters, T-shirts, and even a cassette in one! We were at all three Fillmore shows recorded for the Out West album, plus the one for the See The World Live EP. Seen them many times over the years.

Pre-sale tickets for their US tour went on sale this morning, so, for anyone interested:

Tour

The meet-n-greet package is an additional $100 (+ $9 shipping/handling).

24. Almost Simon

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover