Any Good Johnny Ray Comps?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark H, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member Thread Starter

When I was very young my dad had a 45 with the song "Cry" and something along the lines of "Walking My Baby Back Home" I think it was.
    I've never seen anything out but a bunch of cheapie Spanish song comps.
    Has his catalog ever been mastered and released properly or is everything pretty much out of print? AMG dosen't seem to have much on him.

2. M.L. Kaufman

M.L. Kaufman New Member

Well, Bear Family has two mammoth Johnnie Ray box sets, for starters:

From the Johnnie Ray website

You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

MK

Hotdog likes this.
  3. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

I have two Johnnie Ray comps:

"Cry" on Bear Family (German) CD, released in 1990 with 30 (!) tracks and about 75 minutes. Typical great Bear Family sound. Mostly mono. (BCD 15-450)

"High Drama: The Real J.R." on Columbia/Legacy CD, released in 1997 with 17 tracks and about 45 minutes. Pretty good sound overall. Also mostly mono. (CK65157)

Both share a number of songs in common, although both seem to cover his big hits.

I have noticed that Collectible is releasing a couple of Johnnie Ray twofers in the U.S., but I don't know what the sound quality is. If you want pretty much everything, the two Bear Family box sets (each runs about $100) should do it, although I haven't heard them. I'm sure the usual online stores should carry any of the above mentioned items in stock.

4. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

Another quick note:

Remember that his first name is spelled "Johnnie" and not the usual way of Johnny. This mispelling might hinder an accurate online CD search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.