Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. 200 Motels

200 Motels Forum Resident

I am a DFW native, and this thread is spot on. I really like Docs Records. I discovered it just before I moved up north when they were at there old location near the Stockyards. I have not been to the Camp Bowie store since, but look forward to the trip when I am back in DFW. My experiences with Forever Young have been good, but they are very expensive. They will more than likely have what you are looking for, but be prepared to pay 20-40 for a single LP you could find elsewhere if you are lucky for 10-20. The stock at Forever Young is also in good condition for the most part. The owner does not like to sell beat up records in bad shape. Just bring a large checkbook :)

Barnyard Symphony and musicore77 like this.
  2. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Wow! Forever Young has changed a lot then. It's been several years since I shopped there. Mostly buy on-line now. I do seem to recall someone telling me that the store owner was a d-bag. Not sure where I heard that comment and my personal experience shopping there has never been negative, but like I said, it has been awhile.

It is disappointing to hear this though. :cry:

3. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

You can also try Half Price Books over at NW Hwy & I75 (Central Expressway). It's a 10 minute drive from downtown.

I used to be a regular at Bill's before it just go too zany. Some weird stories about Bill that I won't post here. The part about no prices on the merchandise and you having to take the stuff so he can look you over to see what you can or will pay is true! Found a Butcher Cover in a stack & tried to hide it in a pile of other albums I was considering, but Bill caught it.

Collector's records is gone. used have a ton of '78s there.

Forever Young was a favorite when they still had an Irving store, but the place on 360 is too pricey. I don't doubt the stories I've read here about the owner either...

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Sounds like your downtown. One place that hasn't been mentioned yet and should be close is Good Records on lower Greenville. It's probably worth checking out. http://www.goodrecords.com/

5. belardd

belardd Senior Member

I hate Bill's

Dave, the owner of Forever Young is an ok guy once you get to know him

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I grew up in Hot Springs. Does that count? :D

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I don't blame you for not going back. That was a real "dick" move on the owner's part.

I have been to the old store a few years back and found quite a few vinyl albums.. After hearing this story, I'll probably cross them off my list....along with Bill's.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  8. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Is there good anything in Dallas? :hide:
    Submitted by a Houstonian! :)

9. curbach

Frankly, not much. Answered by an ex-resident who grew up there ;) Seriously, the vinyl scene in Dallas is pretty lame. Your best bet to find something interesting at a reasonable price is the big Half Price Books on Northwest Highway. And Bill's is seriously not worth the trouble unless you just really really love the smell of stale cigarette smoke. . .

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  10. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Which location is closer to Richardson? I'm going there in 2 weeks for my cousin's wedding.

11. curbach

Irving, but neither is very close to Richardson. . .

12. kjhawkm

kjhawkm Forum Resident

In Dallas:

For new music, I'd heartily recommend Good Records on Greenville Ave. Pretty well stocked. Good prices.

For older music, crate hunting at the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway is the best option I have found.

13. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I am going to be in Dallas area this week. I vaguely remember a place on the northside of town--maybe Carrollton or out toward Plano-- that I shopped in about 17 years ago (I've not been in town since '96 or '97) that was huge. I'm not a vinyl buyer, so I'm not interested in how the vinyl selection/prices are, but would like to find some cheap CDs. I'm not going to have time to hit a lot of places, and I realize that a place that was open 17 years ago may very well not be there any more--in fact, the odds are against it still being open--but if you know the place I'm talking about, I'd appreciate some info about it, or any other place that will be on the northern half of town. I will be coming in from the north, dropping off a friend for some cancer treatments, and heading back out the same day--4.5 hour drive each way--but I'd like to stretch my legs a bit before hitting the road for the return trip. I am not going to have time to head west to Arlington or Fort Worth. Garland, Plano, Carrollton, maybe Mesquite would be within reason (depending on where the medical center is).

JcS

14. Joey Self

Why I would remember this place from 17-20 years ago, I don't know, but I think I went in there. I was looking for Beatle bootlegs, and I asked him if he had any "rare European imports." He said "I don't have them if I don't know you, and I don't know you, so I don't have any." I understood his caution, but didn't like his attitude. And I think he was smoking, which at the time wasn't THAT unusual in a store. Now, I'd really notice it.

JcS

15. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Last time I was in Dallas, I went to Forever Young and thought their prices on vinyl were outrageous. Their selection of used CDs was lame too, and they didn't have any used CDs priced under $8.

I was warned about Bill's, so decided to skip it. Since I have no interest in new records, Goods Records was a waste of time. I will check out Docs Records the next time I am in town.

16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

CD Source on Greenville (near Lovers). Very large selection and last time I was there an employee was very helpful. I had a list and I couldn't find something they actually had an accurate computer inventory and he would dig through the bins under the tables for me until we found it (there were a couple of cases we didn't but the effort and was to be applauded). One of the larger Half Price Books is up the block at Central & Loop 12 which isn't a huge selection but it is close by. Then there is Entertainmart (think they just changed their name?) at Preston & Alpha. You can hit up those 3 pretty quickly on one trip.

17. Joey Self

Thanks, Steve. I am going to be taking my friend to Sammons Cancer Center, which isn't far from where 75 and 30 intersect. I'll be deeper into Dallas than I thought I'd be, but since I'm going to be heading back the same day, I will probably make that my most southern point and start heading back. I'll get addresses on the places you mentioned.

JcS

18. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Definitely agree. CD Source doesn't have a lot of used vinyl, but they are my favorite used CD store in the area, and they are also give decent trade-in credit. Other than Forever Young, most used vinyl stores are pretty well picked over - you really have to luck out with newly receieved stock, but that is part of the fun.

19. Joey Self

Just did the Google Map, and those three will be easy to hit--if I have time. Caught up with an old friend, and we're going to play golf, but on the way to Coppell, I can swing by at least one of them (assuming the trip goes without a hitch).

Thanks for the great information.

JcS

20. Joey Self

I only made it to CD Source, but I loved it. Two of the employees both spoke to me, and were nice about offering to help me/thanking me for coming in. Because I wanted to support their store, I bought a Lily Allen album I didn't really need, because I had transferred from Rhapsody onto my MP3 player, and the deluxe edition of Marshal Crenshaw's debut, because my copy of the original has a skip in it somewhere. Wish I'd had more time to browse there. Maybe it won't be 17 years before my next trip to Big D.

JcS

21. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Its about 20 miles from my house, but I feel pretty lucky to have it nearby. I stop by every week or so to look through the newly stocked used discs and vinyl, and I almost always find something I've been looking for or convince myself that I "need". Of all the stores on your list, I think that you made the right choice to go there if you only had time for one stop.

22. Joey Self

I am going to be back in the area Friday--same kind of trip, taking the friend to Sammons--but this time, he will be getting a check up and leaving after an hour or two. I think I'm going to go back to CD Source to kill time while he is there--looks like it is about 10-15 minutes away, depending on traffic. (Or I may go to Dealey Plaza--I've not been there in over 20 years.)

JcS

23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I think the closet place to downtown and the cancer treatment center would be Bill's, in an area called South Side. The address is on S. Lamar. Bill doesn't have price tags, which is a deal-breaker for some people. His store in Richardson might be the place you shopped 17 years ago. The new place downtown is much smaller. Bill is somewhat interesting to talk to. He has been selling records for decades and has had some entertaining experiences. Last time I was there, he told me about a time when Coldplay dropped in just to shop.

If you go up to CD Source, you're 5 minutes from the flagship Half-Price Books store, which has a decent record selection.

24. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I stopped into Bill's before going to a show at Poor David's Pub. Can't say much for either establishment.
    Bill smokes in store, so if you don't like the smell of cigarette smoke as you're shopping, don't bother.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  25. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

There is also a chain called Movie Trading Company (several locations) that has a lot of new and used CDs. Some new vinyl, but no used vinyl worth mentioning.

CD Universe at 4043 E Trinity Mills Rd in Dallas has new vinyl and a ton of used CDs.

ZT Records in Frisco has a smallish but nice used vinyl selection. https://www.facebook.com/ztrecords

I think there are a couple other places listed on the Record Store Day website, but I have not been there.

There are also a couple places in Denton (north of Dallas), Recycled Books being one of them. I have not been though.