Any Hall & Oates comps to recommend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

I don't own any of their records but like most people know every lyric to most of thier hits. Lately every time a song comes on the radio or a soundtrack I question myself as to why I don't own any. (I do have the Troubadour Blu)

Anyway, I remember my audiophile dad not being too thrilled with some of their LPs back in the day so perhaps the CDs are nothing to write home about either?

In any case I'd welcome a decent sounding comp suggestion.

Anyone?? :)

-Mike

2. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

Their recent box set, "Do What You Want, Be What You Are" is better than decent sounding. It's a fantastic sounding compilation mastered by Vic Anesini, with plenty of dynamic range and not overly bright.

I love this set. It may be alittle more H&O than you are looking for at 4 discs though. I had not heard much of their real early material, but it was a pleasant surprise to me as I've come to like many of these songs that were released prior to their hit single days.

3. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Get "Playlist". Great sounding, 1-disc cheap compilation with some mixes only available in this CD.

rock76, Andrew and supernaut like this.
  4. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

Thanks guys. As an Elvis honk I always perk up at the mention of Vic Anesini. :)

Glad to hear the playlist set is decent sounding. The only Playlist disc I own is Steve Perry's and it is maxed beyond belief.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I have "Rock N Soul Part 1" and love it. I've been waiting years for them to do part 2 of this comp. but no such luck

6. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

They stuck some bonus tracks on the remaster, which is nice, but I wish 'Out of Touch' would have been one of them.

7. evad

evad Well-Known Member

8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Amateurish likes this.
  9. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

If you can pick up the box set for a good price, I think that's a good way to go. Everybody knows their 80s hits, and quite a few people know their 70s hits. The thing is that they're also a very interesting band once you get beyond the hits, which only tell part of the story. Daryl Hal'ls solo album, Sacred Songs, a collaboration with Robert Fripp, is also worth hearing.

10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Yes the Boxed set is FANTASTIC !!! it's my go to cd's for the car & they sound stellar at home & they cover just about everything ....

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  11. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

The original Rock and Soul Part 1 collection sounds good to me on CD (not the remaster, haven't heard that one). I absolutely love this album!

12. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Bumping this thread up....

So....where are we right now with regard to a good sounding Hall & Oates comp? I see this box set getting high praise. Also the 3-disc "Legendary" got some praise as well.

I have the 2-disc "Ultimate" that was mastered by Darcy Proper which is pretty complete - and that Sony copped for their "Essential" collection. Plus I have an original CD of "Rock 'N' Soul Part 1" which does not go nearly far enough.

So why am I asking??? Because the box set is scheduled for a Black Friday "Lightning" Deal of $16.99 on Amazon - on Saturday between 9A & 1P PST - and I want to know from the Hall & Oates fans here if I should just jettison what I have & go with the box set!

Thanks!

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Get the box set - it is stellar in every way, especially at $16.99 (or even $27.99)

14. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

It is an incredible buy at that price. Grab it.

15. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Good heads up on the box, especially black friday price! I have the Essential 3.0 which is a good overwiew song wise and well targeted to the more casual, hit-oriented listener.

Btw, if you have checked out Live from Daryll's House - you really should. It is out of this world good.

16. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

The Lightening Deal on the H & O box set is only 50% taken - I grabbed this at $16.99 this morning based on the rave reviews here!

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

question about the packaging of Do What You Want, Be What You Are:The Music of Daryl Hall & John Oates. are the discs in cardboard slots that tend to scratch them?

18. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

hall's Sacred Songs is recommended

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The 83 Rock N Soul Part 1 does the trick for me, if you don't mind not having Out of Touch (which I think was late 84). Subsequent or multi disc comps do include that track, but also include other stuff which as a non die hard fan to my mind bring down the overall quality a notch. In my view, of course....may be heresy to some, apologies !

20. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

The 3 CD "Legendary" is excellent. When you see reviews on Amazon complaining that it hasn't been remastered - it's a good sign. :)

bataclan2002 and Lucidae like this.
  21. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Rock N Soul also lacks a few 'minor' hits which are fantastic (like "It's A Laugh", "I Don't Wanna Lose You" and "Do What You Want, Be Who You Are") as well as "Out Of Touch" and later hits like "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid", "Everything Your Heart Desires" and "So Close" so overall it is lacking. It's more a snapshot. I also like the box set(s) and the Playlist comp (which is also just a snapshot really), but if you had to choose one compilation for a casual H&O fan The Ultimate (repackaged as The Essential) is on balance the best, and has nice sound (mastered by Darcy Proper).

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Playlist is the best single-disc comp.

23. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

You mean for SQ and unique versions, right? Because it's very far from complete.

24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Picked up the Remastered Rock & Soul Part 1 in the $5 bin at Walmart (along with the Remastered version of Yes 90125 also in the $5 bin). Both come with extra tracks and I was pleased to see "Family Man" added to the Hall & Oates disc.

25. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

This is the set I have, good dynamic numbers.

bataclan2002 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.