Any Hooverphonic fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Mar 5, 2013.

1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member Thread Starter

I can't believe how overlooked this band is! I am happy to have stumbled upon them recently after hearing Club Montepluciano and I fell into their spell!

I really like their first three records, really chill and nice vocals from all the female vocalists. I have yet to check out the most recent singer, how is she?

2. davers

davers Forum Resident

I was a huge fan of the debut in the mid-90s, but only got into a couple of tracks on the second and third. I haven't spun the debut in a few years, but I would completely agree with your assessment. When they're on their game, chill just doesn't get much better.

3. pamfletty

pamfletty Member

Hooverphonic was never really my cup of tea, but there are some other Belgian bands that really deserve to be heard by a lot more people! Here's some albums that come to mind:

dEUS - Worst Case Scenario
    dEUS - In A Bar, Under The Sea
    dEUS - The Ideal Crash
    Soulwax - Much Against Everyone's Advice
    Millionaire - Paradisiac
    Admiral Freebee - S/T
    The Black Box Revelation - Set Your Head On Fire

I'm forgetting a lot more great albums, the Belgian music scene output has been of a very high level for at least the last 20 years.

Recently I've been listening a lot to Bed Rugs - Rapids. They play some real good 70s psychedelic beatlesque pop rock! Really really good!!
    Here's the single Blinds of Rapids:

4. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I'm with you, really cool sounds. The only band that lets me enjoy samples. "Waves" from The Magnificent Tree is magic!

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have "The Magnificent Tree" and "No More Sweet Music" and love them a lot. Very relaxed and good written pop songs with a good measure of trip hop thrown in the mix. Great stuff. A bit like Morcheeba, who I love as well.

I only got "No More Sweet Music" a while ago and I was lucky to get the special edition, with the whole album added as very worthwhile remixes and both (regular album and remixes) in amazing 5.1 mixes. Surround works perfectly for this kind of music.

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I don't like the album with their new singer (Noemie Wolfs) quite as much as I did the string of albums they made with Geike Arnaert. I also liked Geike's solo album a lot!

7. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

for me 2Wicky is one of the greatest songs ever ....

Rocketdog and wolfram like this.
  8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

You got that right.

9. wolfram

Wow, what a cool use of a sample from "Walk On By". Never heard that song before. Looks like I need to check out the earlier Hoverphonic albums as well.

deadcoldfish likes this.
  10. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Agreed. I love Geike's vocals. If you haven't heard it yet, check out a little side project that she did called Dorleac in 2010. It's really wonderful stuff.

NorthNY Mark and wolfram like this.
  11. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

And just for the hell of it, my favorite version of You Love Me To Death, done live as a medley with Saragni from their first album.

wolfram likes this.
  12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member Thread Starter

Love this tune :)

13. Sorry for bringing back an oldish thread, but my brother in Vietnam just posted a video of this "new to me" band and I love it. Has that Portishead sound to me. Anyway. I'm gonna dig a little deeper and see if I can find some vinyl.

This is a live version (I watched the official one earlier)....sweet.....

14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    jamesc likes this.
  16. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I read somewhere 1500 copies on clear vinyl. I'm quite sure they will appear on ebay at decent price after a couple of days.

The 6th singer of Hooverphonic "Noemi" left the band last week, different artistic vision. She wants to do something different, maybe a little more alternative. According rumours she's dating one of the Balthazar-members, so that could be an interesting influence for new material.

Up to number 7 :D

They're doing still quite well in Belgium and Italy.

17. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Then you will be glad to hear that she left the band last week. :D

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Not crazy about the new singer, but The Night Before is still one of my favorite albums of the last several years. So many great retro-pop songs on it. The follow-up didn't stick with me, for some reason though.

19. walrus

God, I would LOVE to hear that. Looks like it's a PAL-only thing, though, so I wouldn't be able to play it on my PS3. :(

20. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Don't know much about them but I really liked Renaissance Affair that was used for a VW commercial.

21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Have they announced a new singer?

22. wolfram

Ah, that sucks. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about the PAL vs. NTSC issue for a while now.

23. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Nope, they did finish their concert tour for "Reflection" last week in Belgium.

There were rumours about an "idol-something" tv-show on Belgian television to find a new singer, but the band said that's not true.

I guess they will take their time, because they just finished their tour / promoting latest album.

24. walrus

Eventually I'll get an Oppo and not have to worry about it, but financially that is a long ways away.

25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Wow, I didn't realize they were up to singer number six! Hooverphonic seem to be incubators for singers looking for solo careers!