Any Hooverphonic fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Mar 5, 2013.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Have any of their previous singers "taken off" or even recorded solo projects? I know that Geike made the one solo album, and then nothing since then.

2. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

That was (admittedly dumb) speculation on my part as I haven't followed them that well since The Magnificent Tree. It looks like they had at least four singers before Blue Wonder Power Milk was released.

3. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Geike was also in the band Dorleac.
    Her sister is still singing in Tommigun (hit: Ride with Me). New album later this year.

Kyoko was member of Lunascape (biggest hit: Tears from the Moon).

jamesc likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

Hooverphonic have a new album out ("In Wonderland"), with various singers filling the place of Noémie Wolfs, their last full-time singer. It's an interesting, if slight album (at under 35 minutes). None of the singers really have much character to their voices, and the songs just don't seem all the interesting.

Here's one of the new songs with vocals by a singer listed as Bird (not Birdy) in the credits:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Me :righton:

I prefer their first three albums to their later ones. A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular is one of my all-time favourites. I love Liesje Sadonius' voice. It's a shame she only made one album with them.

I recommend Hooverphonic fans check out a band called Flunk. They're similar in style.

RS2099 and bootbox like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up!!

Looking back, I do feel like I am more into their first few albums, it seems that with each album they get less and less experimental and more commercial. Which isn't bad, just not as much my cup of tea as songs like Wardrobe

jamesc likes this.
  7. pghmusiclover

It's interesting because I got into Hooverphonic via Sarah Brightman's cover of "Eden" (around 1998), so I really started to follow them when Geike Arnaert was their lead singer (even though that wasn't a song Geike sang on), so I prefer her albums with them. I sure wish Geike would rejoin them.

8. PanaPlasma

They changed direction completely since 2010. They're now a "top 50-radio band" (since The Night Before) and trying to get as much media-attention as they can (coach in reality shows as The Voice, culinary programs).

Haven't heard Noémie Wolfs-solo album yet (titled "Hunt You"), but it's quite well received by the press (and radiostations), which isn't the case for the latest bunch of Hooverphonic-albums. To me the singles sound like Hooverphonic meets Balthazar (her boyfriend who is in Balthazar has produced the album).

Tommigun is also working on a new album for more than a year now (the band including Geike's sister).

9. pghmusiclover

Thanks for the update on Noémie. Is there any word on what Geike is working on these days?

10. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I've been listening to The Magnificent Tree a lot lately. The title track is beautiful.

MarioHead and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  11. pghmusiclover

12. pghmusiclover

13. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

And with today's RSD release, my Hooverphonic LP collection is complete! Anything else they may release on LP is just icing on the cake!

[​IMG]

Baidur and pghmusiclover like this.
  14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Do you also have the box of "a new stereophonic sound spectacular" with 3 cds and vinyl?

15. Nathan Aaron

- I don't! Sounds cool though!

16. My fave "Techno" [the kids would call it "EDM" today] genre derivative "Trip Hop"; besides my madeup fave "Tribal Techo Trance" [closest real genre was "Goa Trance"].
    So, liked the early ' Hoover'* stuff!

70's "Funk/R&B" & 60's "Soul/R&B" influence too!!

* had a couple of the Maxi singles back-in-the-day.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    wolfram likes this.
  17. pghmusiclover

Did you get the new 3-LP Greatest Hits just released?

18. Nathan Aaron

- No. is it good? My connection to Hooverphonic has always been their first four albums. Their most classic, if you ask me. Though I think if they released the last two by Geike I'd pick those up as well, though I'm not as familiar with them. But beyond that they get a big pass. Though the greatest hits could be interesting! Any new songs? Or previously unreleased?

19. pghmusiclover

There's apparently one new song:

Hooverphonic - The Best of Hooverphonic

Their last few albums have been very disappointing...

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  20. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

Also got the first four from Music on Vinyl now. The last three all in their RSD coloured vinyl editions. All great pressings.
    Thinking about picking up that best of on CD. So I can play some favorite tracks in the car. It's a quite nice compilation.

21. CharlieD

CharlieD Forum Resident

I need clarafication of the CD releases of "The Magnificent Tree" on the European continent, as I believe Discogs has this one a little mixed up.

I know the French release is on the S.M.A.L.L. label, but for the rest of the continent: I believe there was a standard "European" release for all of
    Europe, including Belgium, and the 2-disc Limited Edition as the only so-called "Belgian" release.

Would I be correct in that assumption?

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I like their first couple of records. I lost touch with them after that.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Big fan, especially No More Sweet Music. Clever to release a 2nd disc with remixes of the first (called, appropriately enough, More Sweet Music)...with 5.1 programs for both!

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Doesn't seem to be any discussion on it, but apparently they dropped a new album, Looking For Stars (with yet another new singer) last week.

25. PanaPlasma

Their songs get poorer with every album, but they got played by mainstream radio, have sold out shows and disc will probably do well with the masses.

They wanted to make 3 albums, with one of them 'more old school alternative Hooverphonic', but the new singer (winner of Idols) just wanted 1 album with the best (more poppy-dance) songs from the 3 albums they had in mind.