Any JBL Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Charles F, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles F

Charles F Active Member Thread Starter

I'm one, sometimes
    What do you have and what do you like to use them with? Music preferences too!

2. 4312B Control Monitors. Very nice all around speakers IMHO. Used them with Eico HF60 mono blocks and an Anthem Pre1. I listen to everything!

Capt Fongsby and black sheriff like this.
  3. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I stil have fond memories of my old 4310s...

[​IMG]

Yes, I used them upside-down. Bought them used around 2000 for cheap, since the L-pads were shot, but I found brand new parts, same specs and dimensions, eh eh. Since I had to open them, I also rewired, recapped them and changed the connectors, the drivers being like new. I presume you all know that this speaker never needs refoaming, since there is no foam but gummed fabric around the cones.
    In short, kept them for some ten years as my main set. Drove them first with a vintage Marantz 3300 + 250 couple, they revealed their full potential when I upgraded to a McIntosh MA6900 integrated. From an audiophile point of view the 4310s are terrible for their tonal imbalance and steroid influenced bass dynamics, exactly the same characteristics that make them rock when the record is right and volume is past noon. I remember The Four Horsemen by Aphrodite's Child exploding as the JBL sound underlined the wild nuances of the drum break-in.
    Few years ago I had to upgrade, I had to. Mind you, the speakers I finally decided to replace them with cost me literally 100+ times what I paid for my JBLs. And they do not perform 100 times better for sure.
    For the 43xx fans, this is a picture of the Westlake Studio console while recording Michael Jackson's Thriller...

[​IMG]

4. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I used to have a pair of S38's back in the early 2000's, I enjoyed them pretty well.

soundboy and kevinsinnott like this.
  5. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

I also have and love a pair of 4312s. I would love to find a pair with somewhat less beat up cabinets than the ones I have. There's this ad on my local Craigslist, but it's not the right time to spend the money. http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/5218862825.html (I have no affiliation with the seller.)

6. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

JBL C50 Olympus speakers with custom CNC bubinga JBL 2397 clones and JBL 2405 tweeters.

[​IMG]

BrentB, SandAndGlass, ronm and 17 others like this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

8. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I have a set of 4411's I bought new. Have reconed them once and use them daily. Love the sound, always have!

9. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

My main speakers are the 250ti's as shown below. Also have a pair of C40 Harkness, 240ti's, L150A's, L100's, L50's and L56's.

Needless to say I'm a big JBL fan. :evil:

[​IMG]

soundboy, ronm, CowFish and 14 others like this.
  10. james

james Summon The Queen

I've never heard those big, blue vintage JBL's, but I think I have a soft spot for blue speakers. I blame Seinfeld

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Those are beauties. If I stay in the game, and upgrade, I would seriously consider either an industrial version of the K2 or one of the Everests. The WE/Klangsfilm vintage horns are now unobtanium.

Sneaky Pete and 56GoldTop like this.
  12. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

Anyone have any experience with the 4312D Control Monitors apparently being sold "new" by Audio Classics (the McIntosh guys in upstate NY)?? Curious about them at $2k/pair.

www.audioclassics.com/detail?detail=4312DBK

Are these European or Asian-market items, or do Audio Classics have an exclusive to sell them in the U.S.? And why are they selling the 4312Ds when the JBL site lists current production as 4312Es?

I suppose I could call the Audio Classics guys, but I thought I'd check with the forum for any insights first.

Thanks in advance,
    --David B.

13. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I frequent Kenrick's youtube channel. I don't know if that makes me a fan or not... Lot's of great JBL stuff. I would take the Rey Audio RM-7V's in a heartbeat, also.

14. russk

russk Forum Resident

Big fan of JBL. Grew up with a pair of L100s. I like the C50s and C36 (001 or 030 loadouts) and of course the L300 and huge studio monitors.

I like lots of speakers from those time periods. Tannoy being my favorites, but Altecs, JBL and of course Klipsch are great. I'd take certain models from those companies over about 90% of new speakers out there.

Fruff76 and 56GoldTop like this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My baby : JBL SUB 12 Venue Series.

[​IMG]

Not a fan of their floorstanders but the monitors are exquisite.

16. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Huge fan... My main system is a JBL MPro PA setup with Crown-powered 18" sub. Attached are my laptop with Schiit DAC, two 1200's, and 2 Pioneer CDJ's.

17. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I had some S38s and enjoyed them too! First step into hifi...

soundboy, kevinsinnott and MattG like this.
  18. Randy Van Ooyen

Randy Van Ooyen New Member

I just finished a total system make over: new TT (Thorens 124) , tube amp (Prima Luna HP) , pre/phono (Manley Chinook) , and now Lyra Delos cart. I am in a rural area and can't audition any better audio gear. I needed LARGER non floor standing speakers (not the tiny things that are currently available sold today called "Monitors" as I have a pretty large listening area.

The forums pointed me to vintage JBLs and so I bought a pair of JBL 4312a's on Ebay in near mint shape. This afternoon after setting up the cart I put on side one of Dire Straits "Love over Gold". The resulting sound was jaw dropping. I had never experienced recording artists playing music live in the room I was listening in!

19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Growing up in the 70's, a friends father had a high end system anchored by one of those classic JBL speakers. Just wonderful.

Later on, in the 80's did some recording where JBL's where the monitors. Kick butt sound.

Now, in my home studio, I have JBL LSR 4328's which are both transparent to mix on, but also enjoyable to just listen to. Big JBL fan here

20. Charles F

Very nice!
    Why didn't you keep them? :(
    The condition is beautiful!
    Very nice, I'd love to find a clean pair of 4310s
    Granddaddy of a lot of great monitors that changed the world, not to mention the iconic L100! :agree:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  21. Charles F

Superb!

Ntotrar and Wardsweb like this.
  22. Charles F

Who wouldn't? ;)

56GoldTop likes this.
  23. Charles F

What? You own a candy store? :)
    Nice assortment there, very nice indeed!
    You will never be bored!

Cactus Bob likes this.
  24. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Main room: (2) JBL 4425

Second system: (2) JBL4311BWX

Video room: (5) JBL Control 1, JBL PB12 subwoofer

displayname likes this.
  25. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Juan Matus likes this.
Thread Status: