Any JBL Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Charles F, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtatmba

mtatmba Forum Resident

Born too late, the JBL Studio Monitors I have are the
    JBL 4412A
    I would like to up grade but priority items first, SACD player, amp, etc...

2. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I own the JBL S-38 II. I read somewhere that the non-II earlier S-38 is vastly superior. Have any of you heard this? I really enjoy mine, but admit I've never heard the original. Am I missing something?

3. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

The JBL Pro-III is similar and can be found paired with a nice passive sub in the Pro-III-Plus version. I bought a Pro-III-Plus off CL for about $60 and it is most impressive. I suppose the Control 2P is the powered version of the Control 1. But look for the LSR305 powered monitor if you really want to be impressed in the $200 range!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    enfield likes this.
  4. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

You have to go a long way in the current JBL studio monitor range to find anything that will hold a candle to the venerable 4412A. That's one of my favorite "small" JBLs. If you can get past the "formica" veneer, there's not much in a bookshelf 3-way that will sound better. I find myself doing A—B comparisons between the 4412A and the LSR305 just to show how amazing the LSR is, for the money, but the 12-inch 128H-1 is really hard to beat, especially if you give it enough power. I can't imagine what you'd consider an upgrade!

edfuzzwahbass and Audioshot like this.
  5. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Yeah, there's a tale about patent infringement filed by Bose you can Google. This review is responsible for the popularity of the original version: JBL S38 loudspeaker »

steeler1979 and kevinsinnott like this.
  6. Audioshot

Audioshot Well-Known Member

Love the JBL sound. I've owned quite a few different variants of the L100 over the years. My favorite was a pair of L100T I bought back in 1986 . I recently picked up a nice pair of 4312C. One of the 2113h 12" drivers had to be re-coned (previous owner damage) and just finished replacing the L-pads in both. They sound real nice. I know a person who has a pair of the 4412A and may part with them (fingers crossed).

[​IMG]

Fruff76, CowFish, Litejazz53 and 5 others like this.
  7. tom1040

tom1040 Forum Resident

I have a number of JBL's. Current ones in use are the JBL 1400 Array and the JBL 4365.

8. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Love them. Not traditional audiophile for sure but the post L100 bookshelf designs like the L166, L96, L112, and L110 are really FUN speakers with enough refinement for good long term listening compared to the L100 but still with that in the room life and palpability these speakers were famous for. People forget JBL was the most advanced testing and research facilities in the world and Greg Timbers was a legendary designer. In spite of their age, these speakers when adjusted properly still measure pretty decently as well. Personally I think the L166 is absolutely fantastic, especially after I rebuilt the crossovers, they smoothed out considerably and actually threw a fairly deep soundstage. I absolutely will get a pair of L300s someday soon !

Fruff76 and Capt Fongsby like this.
  9. John Brunatti

John Brunatti Forum Resident

I acquired a pair of L96 about 6 months ago and really enjoy them. Before purchasing I researched and found that they were very well respected for sound quality and for playing most idioms well.

Capt Fongsby likes this.
  10. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

:righton:JBL fan all my life. Started as a teenager with a pair of L166s, lately the refurbed L212s, love'm.

Capt Fongsby and Jeffczar like this.
  11. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

2 excellent choices, both using the fantastic 066 tweeter. I found a review of the L212 speakers a while back, the FR curve from about 100hz up to 20k plus is about as flat as a ruler, haven't seen very many that linear no matter the vintage. That must be a phenomenal speaker system, one of the handful I haven't personally heard, almost picked up a pair locally for under 500 a few years back !

12. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

I was going to post a pic but didn't find it easy. Anyway, yes they are a pretty neutral sounding speaker. I heard the 212's back in the eighties and thought they had the most amazing 3D imaging along with the same character of the 166's. Picked up a sat for $300 off eBay, local pickup ten years ago. Some vinyl, a 35 watt tube amp and I'm happy.

13. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Aloha
    JBL fan since early seventies start with L36 later L50 since 5 years 4312E hooked on Pioneer A-09 sounds also gorgeous in my ears with McIntosh MC-30 or other amps I own
    I'm happy don't need more
    Cheers
    Wally
    :edthumbs:

Capt Fongsby, Audioshot and Doc Diego like this.
  14. Walter Koehler

Aloha
    One question aside cause maybe I'm to stupid
    Can somebody tell how to insert photos in here ?
    Cheers
    Wally

15. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

Wally I use photo bucket
    Upload the picture
    Copy link
    Paste

Walter Koehler likes this.
  16. Walter Koehler

will try
    Ty
    :righton::righton:

17. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

... And the location of your warehouse?

CowFish, Audioshot and Walter Koehler like this.
  18. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

[​IMG]

19. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

'oly craype. The L112s are exceeding my expectations, tonight. Maybe it's the combination of the Halo power amp or maybe it's the mastering that has juiced the proceedings (Soulive ~ Next - CD)... But the amount of bass coming from these is, just, wow! Not muddy and the highs & mids are still in the sweet spot. Volume on the pre hasn't even made it to 9 o'clock yet. I am deeply impressed (pun intended). :bdance:

ronm and Dax_Frost like this.
  20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I'm always watching Craigslist for a deal on vintage JBL's. I rarely see anything that interests me however there are a pair of JBL 4341 speakers currently on Boston Craigslist. Seller is moving into a condo and can't take them with him. Asking price is $6K which I'm thinking is too high.

(4341 consists of a 15" 2231A low freq driver, 10" 2121 midrange, 2420 high freq driver with 2307 horn and 2308 lens, and 2405 ultra high "slot" driver).

Dax_Frost likes this.
  21. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

112's are on my short list whenever I move to a bigger house! Enjoy.

56GoldTop likes this.
  22. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

I picked up a pair of L112s about a month ago, but they both need new surrounds, so I haven't listened to them yet. Unfortunately I don't know of any repair shops around me that can fix them, and while I've been told refoaming is fairly easy to do, I think these deserve to be done by someone who knows what they're doing.

56GoldTop likes this.
  23. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

If you can get the drivers out, you can ship them to SimplySpeakers. At least, the guy in the videos (who I have spoken with) seems to do an excellent job. I also sourced original JBL cones from him (not cheap). However, they do sound fantastic.

24. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I was going to suggest the same thing as Simply Speakers rebuilt my 4411 woofers and did a spectacular job. However, according to their website, Simply Speakers is NOT taking in any new work at this time. I think you can be put on a "waiting list" on their site. Here's what it says:

"We are currently not taking in any new speaker repair work. We will continue to process and ship parts orders in the same manner you have been accustomed to. All parts orders will process and ship same day for all in stock items.

We will keep you posted on our website.

Thanks for all your support and we look forward to helping you with all your speaker parts needs!

Sean Ryan and the crew at Simply Speakers"

25. Walter Koehler

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.