Any KEF fans here?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I'm curious about some vintage and contemporary KEF designs....particularly their coax point source technology. Do any forum members like these speakers or have any experience with them?

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I auditioned some back in the mid 90's. I thought they sounded very nice.

3. DTB300

DTB300 Forum Resident

I owned a pair of these shown in pictures at bottom of page - left and right photo of the three pictures. There were very nice sounding, but moved to planars for my main speakers and have never looked back. I still use a pair of bookshelf speakers for my kids room.

http://www.kef.com/kefamerica/history/Hist1970.htm

4. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The KEF Uni-Q models (they're the ones you're talking about, Prix) are a mixed bunch. Some are very, very good; others mediocre.The first Uni-Q range, back in the 1980s, were awful - cheap and nasty speakers.

5. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Were these the models that had an LED in the mid/tweeter unit to enable the user to align them correctly to the listening position? IIRC the dome tweeter was larger than normal, about 1.5" in diameter I think, to purposely produce a narrow dispersion angle to help prevent unwanted wall/floor reflections and in turn enhancing the stereo image; hence the "aiming" LED.

I heard it's competition, the B&W 801, back in 1984 and was the first time I experienced front-to-back imaging on a speaker system-wow (and was the first ultra-hi-end speaker I had ever heard, combined with a $1K Denon turntable playing Breakfast In America through McIntosh electronics). And what clean/tight bass this speaker had! That was a fun day.

6. audio

The models I am interested in I think are the C85 and C55. They have an 8" coax w/ woofer. These were made in the '80s and I believe they were the first Uni-Q designs. You are saying these are a waste of time?

7. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

KEF 107s are the best speaker I have ever heard, and I have heard a lot. Used to sit and listen to them every night, powered off of a Luxman amp and hybrid tube cd player. They had an unbelievable sound. They still show up from time to time on ebay, but not cheep!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  8. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Uni-Q was the first Kef technology that didn't start from the top of the range and work their way down. Instead the Uni-Q driver was introduced in their budget range.

Cheap speakers are cheap speakers, no matter what drive unit they have in them. Flimsy resonant boxes, cheaper pressed baskets, cheap parts in the crossover - there's only so much you can do with a cheap speaker while still hitting budget.

9. audio

Yes, I know all of this....but have you specifically heard the models I mentioned?

10. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I was fortunate to work in a HiFi shop betweeen school and Uni....

Took me six months to finally decide on the speakers I wanted.

Kef 104aB's.

Still have 'em 27 years later - wouldn't trade them for the world!

I bought Kef to complete the surround set up I have.

Rear Q1's
    Centre Q9c.

These sound OK, but.... ain't a patch on the 104aB's.

11. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I can't remember. So many speakers have been through my house over the years...

12. DTB300

DTB300 Forum Resident

Yes they were. Great sounding speakers.

Dan

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I've had a pair of 104.2's for 20 years.
    http://www.kef.com/history/1980/model104_2.htm

Have been toying with the idea of selling them and getting something newer and smaller (was thinking of Spendor) but a lot of people out there think I should keep them.
    Also have Model 100 Centre Channel, Q15.2 as surrounds and Q35.2 as fronts for my theatre system. They all use the Uni-Q but are 4th generation so it's my understanding they are much better than the nasty 1st generation models. I like them but they can't touch the 104.2's
    http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/q_series/Q35point2.htm
    http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/q_series/Q15point2.htm
    http://www.kef.com/history/1990_1/model_100.htm

14. JKBNA

JKBNA New Member

C55's were a decent Hi Fi speaker, but not in the same league with the Reference 104 and 107's mentioned in this string. (If one can find 107's with extra drivers available, just buy them...) The C55's were used as a mix-down monitor on Music Row in Nashville during the 1990's. They had a small spike in the mid-range around 650Hz. which made vocals jump out in the mix, very popular with a few area engineers. That same trait made an audiophile wince once in a while, but the newness of the point-source design and clarity of the resulting image won over many others.

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Love my 104.2s. Currently my main speakers. Sometimes I listen to my Focal 826Vs though. :)

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My 104.2s aren't going anywhere but am tempted by a sale on the Focals as a 2nd pair
    $1799 for the 836V and $1499 for the 816V

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I like Focals. Also have a pair of 706Vs that sound great but are not in use at the moment.

Since it's summer I'm currently using a small integrated amp that doesn't generate a lot of heat. But when it's cooler, when I'm listening to my Conrad Johnson PV12 -> Aragon 4004 -> 104.2s, I'm in midrange heaven. That combo gives me the best sound I can get out of all my equipment. :)

18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

104/ab's. LS3/5a's. LS-50's. Lots of great speakers from KEF.

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

They're the British Paradigm;)

20. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

They are among the most consistently good speaker manufacturers. The best of KEF could always be listed in the top tier of loudspeakers. They were always innovative.

I haven't heard their most recent designs. But I've read some good things about them.

22. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

It's always reassuring when an old thread pops up again.

Delighted to report that the last time I posted (further up the page) about my KEF 104aBs they were 27 years old.

They are now 36 and I still love them.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Just a few weeks ago I bought a pair of vintage KEF Carina ii speakers, cheap, from a friend. They're mint, and sounded great when hooked up to my old Superscope amp.

bluemooze and Sneaky Pete like this.
  24. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I mentioned in a thread that I started about KEF and their great customer support for my problem and the discovery of a brand that sounds amazing and will be my new brand of total speaker and subwoofer use.
    At the moment I have two subs , a PSW4000 and the newer R400b.
    I currently am starting my quest for new speakers and with all the cudos for the Blade and ls50 I know it will be a fun and costly ride. Start saving now and by the middle of next year hope to have atleast 10 new KEFs in my home, if I can keep up the payments after the speaker purchaces. Take care, John M.

25. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I love my R900's. I have them coupled with 2 R400bs and it's a great match.

[​IMG]

Red, wgb113, apesfan and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.