Any Leben RS-30eq phono amp owners out there?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by J.D.80, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would really love to hear some reviews of the leben phono stage from leben owners. Am thinking of replacing my Heed Questar mm phono with one. At nearly 3,000 dollars, it's a pretty sizeable investment for me. I want to hear from people who have or have had one and their thoughts on it.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

There are some reviews on the web - all enthusiastic - but I have not heard it myself.

I am also interested, at some point I want tubes back in my phono chain and I like the looks of that Leben gear.

3. J.D.80

Most reviews I've read have been pretty good, though John Atkinson on Stereophile's site didn't exactly give it a great review in the measurements portion of the Art Dudley review.
    That's why I really want to hear from people actually using it everyday in their set up. It's a beautiful piece of gear for sure, and I really want to have a 100% tube amplification set up. I just want to know that it's worth that kind of money. A pretty face isn't enough for me!

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've had one for a couple of years. I love it, worth every penny. I originally used it with a CA Maestro v2, now with a Koetsu and a SUT. Emphatic recommendations here.

NOS 12AT7 tubes are cheap, too.

russk and whaleyboy like this.
  5. russk

russk Forum Resident

I've listened to one a half dozen times and it is definitely my favorite phono preamp out there right now for the money. I know the measurements in Stereophile revealed you need a preamp with a high input impedance for an ideal match. I heard with both Line Magnetic and Leben integrateds and it sounded great to me.

6. J.D.80

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Especially being a Line Magnetic 508IA owner. Thank you!

7. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Fantastic MM phono stage, and one of my all time favorites (although you could say I'm a bit biased being a Leben dealer!).

Rolltide likes this.
  8. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

Spent time with one at a dealer earlier this year and loved it. I think it is a great value.

9. J.D.80

You guys are definitely making me feel more comfortable about going with it. Whatever phono stage I go with, I want it to be my last phono stage until death do us part. Death for it or me. Whichever comes first. The whole changing out of components can become a huge distraction from the music. I just want to find a phono stage that I can live with blissfully.

leokats likes this.
  10. J.D.80

The other point that I've heard which is very important to me is that the Auditorium 23 SUT SPU is a good match with the Leben. I love my step up and wouldn't want to buy a phono stage that it didn't match well with.
    Adding the A23 component to my chain made a massive difference in sound. Made things sound way more natural.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The A23 is for sure a good match!

12. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I'll be watching this thread with interest: I'm also a 508ia owner looking to upgrade my phono stage. I've narrowed my search to:
    Leben RS-30eq
    NVO SPA-II
    Parasound JC3+
    Amaro 1.2
    Nagra VPS
    Acoustic Plan Phonomaster SE
    Would be interested to hear if you've already crossed some of these options off your list for one reason or another, @J.D.80

13. J.D.80

My list of Phono options I'm looking at is small because I've decided that I'm only going to use a tube amplified phono section.
    Now the acoustic plan phonomaster se is definitely one I'm still considering. It's on my shortlist right behind the Leben. And honestly, if people didn't keep telling me that adding a Shindo Aurieges equalizer amplifier would be a waste of money because I have no other shindo equipment, that would also be neck and neck with the Leben. Perhaps even the way I ended up going in the end.
    The nagra I've read up on and I think it's a hybrid solid state/tube amp. Not sure and I don't really know where in NYC I could demo it.
    Part of the draw of the Leben to me is how limited of a production the gear is. I know it's not a popularity contest but it's hard to deny the allure of owning something that a relatively few number of people in the world own. They won't be made forever and I like that.
    It's a boutique company in a way. It makes it an heirloom piece of equipment that I can pass down to my children or whomever I still like at that point in my life. Music is so important or as the word Leben means, It's Life. Or alive. Or something like that...

Rolltide and JMAC like this.
  14. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I have the Phonomaster SE and I'm in Brooklyn. You're welcome to come demo it if you'd like.

15. J.D.80

That would be great. Very helpful

16. Pomodori

Pomodori Well-Known Member

I've been using the RS-30eq for years and I love it. DL-103, A23 into the Leben 300 integrated amp. The key for me has been swapping the Russian sovteks for NOS mullards...made all the difference.

james likes this.
  17. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter Active Member

Apologies on reopening a more than 1 year old thread but have a similar question ! Has anyone of you been using this phono with an MM cartridge ?

I have been using a Leben RS-30EQ for around 2 years now with a Leben cs600 driving a pair of Tannoy Kensington, the cart is a DL103R in an aluminium body. my SUT uses Slagle 1:20 wound transformers

The issue I have is that the gain is not enough when i use my Decca Gold (5mV) as the cart and i really love that cartridge. Even at the max vol position i hear compression and it a just below the SPL i like.

Changing the phono is one option and I may get a good deal but blind buy on a Lyric PS10 but still not convinced if that is the right way to go as i have no issue with the Dl103R. and the Leben pair has a synergy which is very engaging and do not want to risk that.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I used the RS-30eq with a Clearaudio Maestro (3.6m) with good results. What do you mean by max vol? The CS600 turned up all the way?

19. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter Active Member

thanks Rolltide.. yes turned up almost all the way . i was worried about power in the amp being enough but with the DL103 or my DAC its very loud at 10'oclock

20. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I run my Leben phono amp with a Soundsmith Aida cart. Very nice combination. Prior to this with an Ortofon 2M Black.

Sharpshooter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.