Any Lou Reed love out there ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve B, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's been a top 3 favorite of mine for years despite the bad rap he's received through books, concerts and his notorious interviews. I also think that with his 44 yr output, from Velvet Underground & Nico to Lulu, unlike other musicians, he managed to be pretty consistent with very few bad albums.

My favorite albums change from time to time but the one's that always standout include Coney Island Baby, Blue Mask, New York and Berlin.

Coney Island Baby - great slide guitar from Bob Kulick with a good mellow vibe in general

Blue Mask - great lead guitar from Robert Quine with an excellent rhythm section from Fernando Saunders and Doane Perry; I also like Lou's very personal lyrics on this album

New York - reignited his career; best album from a lyrical standpoint IMO; great dialogue with a good stripped down sound

Berlin - this one is a love hate for me but I like that big band,early 70's sound

What are your favorite albums and why ?

Curious Breeze, Moshe, Cake and 2 others like this.
  2. Radio KTmS

Radio KTmS i am a dj, i am what i play

bowie plus ronson plus lou equals a perfect album.
    [​IMG]

razerx, Robert Parker, Tanx and 16 others like this.
  3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Think I'd choose "New York" (1989) as my favorite. It's got plenty of 'less is more' Lou Reed trademark and great storytelling. Lou Reed was so laidback and groovy yet rocked twice as hard as anyone.

4. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Lots of love & his death upset me a great deal.

My favorites are some of his albums on which he seems most personal and honest: The Bells, Growing Up in Public and New Sensations.

melstapler, Moshe, Terry and 2 others like this.
  5. Steve B

# 4 on my Lou list...I do love Ronson's guitar on this album. "Hangin'Round" is my favorite...also had Herbie Flowers and Klaus Voorman on bass...didn't know until now but Trevor Bolder played trumpet...

quakerparrot67 and Hep Alien like this.
  6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Street Hassle might not be his best album, but the title track is my all time favourite Lou song.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I saw him on the "New York" tour; the show was amazing.

8. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

Seriously?

Okay. Latest fav is New Sensations. Also into Laurie Anderson's Big Science lately.

KipB, johnaltman and Fullbug like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I've been a fan since the mid 70s when I discovered "Rock & Roll Animal". He's one of my all-time favourite artists. I have all the wonderful VU albums (in the Peel Slowly & See box) and my favourite solo albums are:

- Transformer
    - Berlin
    - Rock 'n' Roll Animal/Lou Reed Live
    - Coney Island Baby
    - Street Hassle
    - New York
    - Songs For Drella
    - Ecstasy

Why are those my faves? I just feel that they have the best songs. I must grab The Blue Mask and perhaps Magic & Loss (I saw him in Lyon at that time - great show).

Hep Alien and Geordie777 like this.
  10. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

For the most part, I'm just a casual fan. But New York is spectacular, one of my favorite ever albums.

Steve B and Hep Alien like this.
  11. Steve B

The Blue Mask is pretty darn good ;probably one of his best backing bands from a technical standpoint.

12. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

The guy that trashed the Beatles? Not from me.

Larry Mc likes this.
  13. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Berlin is my favorite. Like all the live stuff too. VU of course is essential ... all of 'em. Only one I don't like is Lulu. I find it completely unlistenable ... painfully so. Don't drink a lot of vodka and listen to Berlin right after your girlfriend dumps you, though. Take my word!

mfp, Siegmund, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  14. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Transformer - perhaps the only glam record I really like
    Berlin - over the top arrangments are not much of my thing in rock usually, but here they made it work somehow, perhaps thanks to the subject matter and some very good songs
    Take No Prisoners - the title says it all, a live album as it should be
    Blue Mask - the album where he found his mature voice, that understated attitude ... with guitars
    New York - here he brought the sound of Blue Mask to the top
    Songs for Drella - back to the roots, just two guys doing their best to honor their old friend
    Magic and Loss - like doing Berlin with the guitar sound

Hep Alien and Steve B like this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Fave studio:
    Transfomer
    Berlin
    Coney Island Baby
    New York
    Legendary Hearts
    The Bells
    Growing Up In Public
    Songs For Drella
    Magic and Loss
    Set The Twilight Reeling

Live:
    American Poet
    Animal Serenade

Even the albums not listed have their merits, some more than others. Yes, even the much maligned Lulu.

16. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Ecstacy is my current favorite. Sounds like Lou and Company are jamming in your living room. Possibly some of the best bass lines ever put to tape too (thanks Fernando).

Dark Horse 77, smoke, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  17. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

R+R Animal.
    New York.
    New Sensations.
    Coney Island Baby.
    Street Hassle.

in no particular order.

18. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Lots of love for Lou Reed, and his death really upset me.
    While reading, I am listening to Ecstasy, his de facto swan song. What a strong attempt, really, not one weak moment. I have a soft spot for Like A Possum an epic piece of art. In fact, I like his 80s/90s output a lot more than his 70s albums, it appears to be mature.

Back to the OP question: My favorite album is New York - rocks hard, powerful lyrics, awesome interplay between Rathke and Reed. The first album I purchased when it was released. It became an instant classic for me and is the only CD I've had to replace so far since I had worn it out.

Hep Alien, DTK, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  19. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Legendary Hearts has really stuck with me lately.

20. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

My favorites are:
    1. Coney Island Baby
    2. Berlin
    3. New York

jerrygene, DTK and Steve B like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In my humble opinion, there's a terrific little Lou Reed/VU community on this forum. I don't know of too many other places in the world (any?) where I can solicit interpretations on any Lou Reed lyric in the morning and have a batch of thoughtful, insightful, well-formed opinions posted before the sun goes down

My favorite album is "Magic and Loss". Why? Because it speaks to me very personally and very directly. For someone who "hates that mystic s**t", "life's good, but not fair at all" is a good summation of the way the universe "works".

TGH7, lemonade kid, Alan2 and 11 others like this.
  22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Lou Reed Live. It has a better song selection than RnR Animal, from the same show so it has Hunter/Wagner. Velvet tunes dunn inna hard rock style!

melstapler and Steve B like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Love Lou, always have. His music has had a profound effect on me.

Steve B, Moshe, Chemguy and 3 others like this.
  24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Fun fact: Bernie Sanders (born September 8, 1941) attended PS 197 in Brooklyn at the same time Lou ( born March 2, 1942) was at PS 192 , just a few miles away.

25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Always like to mention this in threads like this. Lou goes drumless and makes every song count. Worth it for Jane Scarpantoni's hair raising cello solo on "Venus In Fur" and Antony's gorgeous take on "Candy Says".

melstapler, jay.dee, Fullbug and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.