Any Lou Reed love out there ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve B, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Rock n Roll Animal--no joke one of the best guitar albums ever made.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. I love the passport photo. These guys are our musical heroes so fun to see the mundane. Hopefully the archive will release some interesting musical titbits (intrigued by Lou doing Dylan as in the article)...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

I just checked the date stamp on my slides. It was 1975. Thanks for all the "Likes"[​IMG]

4. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Yeah, in one year Lou changed quite a bit, in style and in music. Of course, no two consecutive Lou Reed records sound totally alike, there's always something different added to or subtracted from the mix, to the music's benefit. IMO.
    For me, Lou's nadir was his 1973-1974 glam star concert shtick. I realize Rock n Roll Animal is many people's favorite Lou record, but that along with Lou Reed Live is his low point to me.

Echo likes this.
  5. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

Love Lou. I did a five hour radio special last night featuring songs off every album in chronological order. It still felt short!

6. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Couldn't agree more. Now, '75-'77, there's some fireworks...

strummer101 likes this.
  7. strummer101

Extend that to '79. :agree:

8. sirwallacerock

as long as you lose Lou's mullet.

9. strummer101

You might be thinking of '89.
    1979:
    [​IMG]

Love this record!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  10. sirwallacerock

I saw him in '79 in NYC and distinctly recall some sort of mullet-type 'do even then. But my perceptions might have been altered at the time, your honor.

Fullbug likes this.
  11. strummer101

:laugh:
    Defendant, you're free to go. Just turn over your substances directly to the judge, please.

sirwallacerock likes this.
  12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Speaking of tidbits and treasures...the amazing Matrix Tapes share the wonder of hearing the Velvets live back in the day...

So yeah...The Matrix Tapes would be in my all time favorite Lou Reed releases.

quakerparrot67 and stef1205 like this.
  13. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting that you consider '73-'74 his nadir considering that "Berlin" and "Sally Can't Dance" came out in those years. While I consider the former his masterwork, the latter, albeit a trashy album ( and perhaps his angriest ), has some great songs. Alternatively, I think that '78-'79 were his weakest years ( outside of '86 ), with "The Bells" and "Growing Up in Public". Why ? For me, "The Bells" suffers from a stylistic identity crisis ( and pandering to his fans by trying to sound new wavish ) whereas "Growing Up in Public" sounds like he is singing with a vocal tic and taking a cue from Billy Joel ( and his piano hooks ).

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

And yet I love The Bells and Growing Up... , different strokes and all that.

Steve B likes this.
  15. Steve B

I certainly agree Ralph. Moreover, as the OP, I am simply happy that this post was revived no less due to Lou's birthday just passing. And like with Strummer, I enjoy your Lou commentaries as I have certainly seen many of them before.

Hep Alien, elvismcdouglas and ralphb like this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I've loved Reed since I was a kid, but love and play him more and more the older I get. He was the real deal, and did what he wanted and what he could. I like that.

17. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Lou was always one of my go-to guys. Transformer was a pivotal record for me. I didn't really have a clue what a song like "Make Up" was about but I knew Lou was different so he always interested me. I collected his entire catalog, saw him five times and collected loads of live shows. His 1980s albums are among my favourites especially New Sensations and New York. Some songs from other albums really were faves as well. "Wild Child", "Kill Your Sons", "Disco Mystic" and "The Last Shot" were touchstones along the way. Lou was honest except when he wasn't if that makes any sense. He had a wicked, dark sense of humour. When he died it hit me how much his music had meant to me.

HoundsOBurkittsville and Steve B like this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Rock And Roll Animal" is a Barn Burner. Rocks my speakers, that one does.

19. ralphb

What's interesting about those two albums, released a year apart, is how combined they come as close as any other release to revealing the true Lou. If you take The Bells (especially "Families") as being the gay Lou, and Growing Up... (most of it) as the straight, well, there you go , two sides of the same coin and the duality he wrestled with for most of his life.
    But then I have a tendency to read too much into all things Lou.:)

Hep Alien, TeddyB and Steve B like this.
  20. strummer101

I love Berlin and Sally Can't Dance isn't terrible.
    You should re-read my post. I thought I was specific enough when I mentioned the live stuff Lou was doing at the time. His "glam star concert shtick" is what I called his nadir. Or as Lou might say..."can't you f'n read?" ;) (that's a joke...winky face...WINKY FACE)

The Bells and Growing Up in Public blow that live crap away, BTW. IMO.
    That's not a joke.

Hep Alien, ralphb and Steve B like this.
  21. Steve B

I certainly did read your post Strummer. I always do read them and enjoy them :). Perhaps I assumed too much. I figured that even if you didn't like those two "live" albums that, at the very least, "Berlin" and "Sally Can't Dance" would be equalizers and therefore, negate '73-'74 as his weakest solo years.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  22. strummer101

IMO, Lou doesn't have weak solo studio years. At least not consecutively. Not as strong maybe, but never weak. But then I absolutely love Rock and Roll Heart and dislike Rock n Roll Animal, so what do I know?
    :laugh:

ralphb likes this.
  23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

24. ralphb

Indeed they do.
    But then I think American Poet (with The Tots) is miles better than Rock'n'Roll Animal.

25. strummer101

That is really good stuff, yes!

Hep Alien and ralphb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.