Any love for Arcadia ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RevolutionDoctor, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    I recently pulled out my vinyl of "So Red The Rose" by Arcadia and was blown away with the quality of the record : No stinkers, nice flow, great production and superb audio quality.
    Most, if not all the extra tracks and remixes aren't available on CD to this date
    But the original vinyl is really superb.
    I am also in love with the sleeve and artwork : I think it really is a perfect graphic representation of the music : mysterious.
    The numbers on the cover art of So Red the Rose and subsequent singles are a code, presumably developed by Malcolm Garrett who designed the Arcadia packaging. By translating the 'code,' you can spell-out words and names. The code is as follows:

16 = A 28 = G 40 = M 52 = S 12 = Y
    18 = B 30 = H 42 = N 02 = T 14 = Z
    20 = C 32 = I 44 = O 04 = U 00 = blank
    22 = D 34 = J 46 = P 06 = V
    24 = E 36 = K 48 = Q 08 = W
    26 = F 38 = L 50 = R 10 = X

Does anyone know were to get the best sounding version of the album ?
    There's the UK-vinyl, Us pressing and of course the japanese pressing. Is the latter the best one of them all ?

What are your opinions on the CD mastering ?

Here's the allmusic review :
    Arcadia was the arty quarter of Duran Duran's side project. Members Simon Le Bon and Nick Rhodes were left to complete it after Roger Taylor left the group. They still strove to create the "western evocative of east" blueprinted by Japan's Tin Drum. They didn't achieve it with this, but it's certainly the best album Duran never made. Like earlier work Rio, the sleeve perfectly describes the record inside. The opener "Election Day" is darkly romantic irking toward erotic and has brass stabs not dissimilar from their Bond score View to a Kill. The following songs are lighter: "Keep Me in the Dark" and the U.S. single "Goodbye Is Forever." "The Flame" has a sharp beat and sultry bass groove that nods at Nile Rodgers. Two dream works, "Missing" and "Rose Arcana," precede "The Promise," which guests Pink Floyd's Dave Gilmour, Sting, and Herbie Hancock. "El Diablo" has a latin flavor but still sounds like two Englishmen daydreaming of an escapade to El Salvador. Finally, to the dramatic splendor of "Lady Ice," a fantastic conclusion to a very good album. Thankfully, Arcadia chose not to pursue this album like their other Duran offshoot.

Looking forward to reading your opinions

Thorpy, Sean, Technocentral and 2 others like this.
  2. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

I've had this on U.S. LP and CD since it was new. I always thought it was a well done album with no filler. It's been a while since I listened to it, so I'll add it to my stack of CDs for a 10-hour road trip that I'm making today. :)

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

The Wife likes Duran Duran, I don't!

4. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

LOVE this album, actually prefer it to much of the original Duran Duran albums. The Promise in particular, it seems to me to be one of the more eclectic bunch of people on the same song.

A couple of years ago, around the time of the Powerstation reissue, there was talk of this getting some sort of deluxe reissue treatment to include the remixes and non-album tracks. Not sure if this is still happening though . . .

5. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Both this album and The Power Station album are underrated gems in the history of the Top 40.

1985 was such a good year musically for Duran Duran fans...a shame that the actual band only released one A-side!

BTW - The 12-inch "Consensus Mix" of "Election Day" is truly the only way to go! I always felt that version was the "real" studio version of the song and that all the other edits (album/single) were edited from this version.

6. serj

serj Forum Resident

Great album. I like it's stronger than most of DD albums:) I have Japanese CD. I think that it has standart mastering.. Sounds really pleasant!

7. Maidenpriest

David Gilmour is also involved in some way according to the credits?

8. RevolutionDoctor

I couldn't agree more. I have all the remixes that were released and while all are really good The Consensus mix is the best of them all. Done by François Kevorkian if I remember well. I'm a big fan of his work too.
    Strange that none of the versions of the song contain the extra verse that is on the lyric sheet. I wonder if it ever was recorded and if that lost verse will ever see the light of day.

9. serj

serj Forum Resident

Yes. David Gilmour was there:) I like his guitar very much.. Very beautiful..

10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'm not a Duran fan, but as a 12 year old kid, I really loved Arcadia and the Power Station albums. Goodbye Is Forever is still a favorite song of mine. A nice moody album that works well as a whole, even today. I wouldnt think itd still appeal to my indie rock snob mentality but it does.

11. RevolutionDoctor

I have the CD too but the artwork just doesn't compare to the vinyl :
    I really like how they put the track info for the whole album on one label of the vinyl freeing the other label to put on more artwork.
    Anyone notice that on the vinyl, the title "So Red The Rose" can be read from left to right AND from right to left ? I think it's pure genius. I'll make a scan of it over the weekend.

The majestic photography was done by Dean Camberlain
    He also did the video for the song "Missing", and later on he did "All She Wants is" too. The video for Macca's "This one" was also done by him.

Max Florian likes this.
  12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Always loved Duran Duran but have to re-visit Arcadia (I can't remember one song by them).

Now the Power Station I remember.

13. Maidenpriest

Election Day! even I remember that and I wasn't a fan or have any of there records?

14. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Arcadia is the reason I discovered Duran Duran, and the band albums could never really compare to this one off. I had the vinyl when it first came out, all of the 12'' singles and just about anything else I could get my hands on. I think it is one of the best things the members of DD ever did, which is made even more extrordinary by the list of supporting players that contribute perfectly.

15. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Gilmour, Sting & Herbie Hancock were on the track "The Promise", which is still my favorite from the LP.

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Never liked Duran Duran but curiously liked this enough to buy it. Still put it on, with "Missing" being my favourite track, and the single being a close second.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Simon & Nick handled making a record on their own pretty well, which makes me wonder why the Duran Duran albums they made prior to the reformation of the original band were such disasters. The passage of time, I suppose.

18. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Good point - never quite thought of that, makes you wonder.

I think this album is a masterpiece. "Goodbye Is Forever" still gets me to this day.

19. This one is due for re-release with b-sides, don't you think?

I liked The Power Station project better, but this was a stronger listen than were the next three Duran Duran albums.

20. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

I LOVE the song the PROMISE! It's one of my all time Faves!!!!
    Bruce

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was big into DD in 1985, but I never really got all that wild about Arcadia - I liked Power Station more. I'll probably grab the Arcadia CD one of these days and reassess...

22. davers

davers Forum Resident

Add me to the posters who think this is a nice, moody album that really flows well. It's always stayed in my main music library, even though most of my Duran Duran cds have long since faded to the secondary listening pile (although I do think the non-hits on Seven and The Ragged Tiger are underrated...).

23. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Yes, I have the 45 of that, but that's about the only Arcadia I've ever heard. I loved DD at the time of Rio, Seven and Notorious, as well as the Power Station album, but this one has passed me by.

Up till now I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but since all you posters are giving this album a thumbs-up, it makes me curious. It might be time to check it out.

24. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

After watching the Classic Album DVD of Rio have been listening to and revisting my Duran Duran stuff all week. The Arcadia album is my second fave album, just as listenable start to finish as Rio. Nick Rhodes may not be the flashiest keys player of all time but he is a master of painting with synth textures.

25. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Always felt the same about Rhodes. Absolutely a master of mood - the stuff on the first album alone is breathtaking.

Totally forgot about the classic album DVD - must pick that up!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.