Any love for Columbo?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by VU Master, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I absolutely love Columbo, as well as Peter Falk's portrayal as the eponymous detective. It is one show that bridges generations; one of the few shows that I can watch when I visit my mother.

Also, I have acquired a copy of the Japanese Blu Ray set and the episodes look as good as ever. Jack Cassidy and Robert Culp give some of their best performances, among a plethora of other celebrity "killers."

Remember, if you walk into a room and you cannot figure out who is the least intelligent person is, it is you. (Never Columbo)

2. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

About 20 years ago, one of the local television channels used to run Japanese programming 2 nights a week (Saturday and Sunday) and I remember seeing a Japanese detective series (sorry, don't remember the name of the show or the lead) that was CLEARLY based on Columbo -- the detective was a modest (yet quite handsome) man in a trench coat who, like Columbo, would focus on the person he somehow knew was the murderer, and he had many of the mannerisms that Peter Falk invested in the character too. One thing that made the Japanese detective different is that he had a sidekick. Anybody out there know anything about this show?

3. I keep hoping that the Columbo blu-rays will come out. Here's hoping Mill Creek can put these out (even if I hate the label packaging and the lack of special features at least we will get a less expensive alternative to the Japanese imports)

jupiter8 and Jrr like this.
  4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

japanese columbo - Google Search

groundharp likes this.
  5. I still watch Columbo. I usually watch one episode per week. They are repeated on UK tv and for me they are still brilliant. Love Columbo

6. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Malina likes this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

They showed the first ever episode last night on Cozi tv, from 1968. Great ending to an excellent primier.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I watched that too! Didn't realize it had a backstory. As it didn't look quite right, I looked it up, then watched the second Columbo, titled Ransom for a Dead Man.

...Levinson and Link then adapted the TV drama into the stage play Prescription: Murder. This was first performed at the Curran Theatre in San Francisco on January 2, 1962, with Oscar-winning character actor Thomas Mitchell in the role of Columbo. Mitchell was 70 years old at the time.

In 1968, the same play was made into a two-hour television movie that aired on NBC. The writers suggested Lee J. Cobb and Bing Crosby for the role of Columbo, but Cobb was unavailable and Crosby turned it down because he felt it would take too much time away from the golf links. Director Richard Irving convinced Levinson and Link that Falk, who wanted the role, could pull it off even though he was much younger than the writers had in mind.

Originally a one-off TV-Movie-of-the-Week, Prescription: Murder has Falk's Columbo pitted against a psychiatrist (Gene Barry). Due to the success of this film, NBC requested that a pilot for a potential series be made to see if the character could be sustained on a regular basis, leading to the 1971 hour and a half film, Ransom for a Dead Man, with Lee Grant playing the killer. The popularity of the second film prompted the creation of a regular series on NBC, that premiered in the fall of 1971.

According to TV Guide, the original plan was that a new Columbo episode would air every week, but as a motion picture star, Peter Falk refused to commit to such an arduous schedule, which would have meant shooting an episode every five days. The network arranged for the Columbo segments to air once a month on Wednesday nights.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. A good decision for all involved. This is why a Columbo episode is a quality affair and something like the decent "Murder She Wrote" has an assembly-line feel to the episodes.

10. Jerry

11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

When my TIVO showed the original air date being 1968, I wasn't sure that was correct. Thank you much for the back story and confirmation of the year. The ending was first rate Columbo trickery!

Jerry likes this.
  12. Jerry

One of my favorite episodes is "Double Exposure" from 1973. Probably a favorite because it also starred, with Robert Culp, one of the most recognizable faces to kids growing up in the 60's in the New York tri-state area with good rooftop antennas: Chuck McCann.

upload_2017-5-15_14-6-49.jpeg

Weird coincidence. Chuck McCann, who plays the projectionist Roger White, played the title role in The Projectionist (1971).

tonyc and Hymie the Robot like this.
  13. tahm

tahm Forum Resident

In that episode, he wore a classy suit, his shoes were shined, his hair was combed and he carried a clean raincoat!

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's why I wouldn't rely on any type of streaming service (including YouTube) for anything that I want to keep. If I want to keep it I buy it. However, I do use streaming-type services as a tool for discovering that which I wish to keep.

I remember him most from the Saturday Morning series Far Out Space Nuts with Bob Denver. He basically played the "Skipper" role on the show against Denver's "Gilligan."

I recently discovered Columbo via the episode with Robert Culp and Dean Stockwell. I like that we know right up front how it is done and then enjoy Columbo ensnaring the guilty with their own subsequent actions.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tough love with his son, what the falk.
    Saying that..his show was good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.